Worth a buy?

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

tjhkkr

Worth a buy?

Post by tjhkkr »

Hello,

I am an old Harpoon and Harpoon 2 player.
I have been eyeing this rascal for a long time, ever since it appears that H2 went the way of the dodo bird.
What is the front page on this game?
How about the interface?

Thank you all very much!
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
lowchi

RE: Worth a buy?

Post by lowchi »

https://medium.com/war-is-boring/best-w ... 188a597e47

http://news.usni.org/2013/09/24/game-re ... or-harpoon

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/c ... iuA2S-GD8J

[:)]

i must say i didn´t play harpoon, but i enjoyed sub command, fleet command and dangerous waters.
I own this game a year now and i never get tired of it! it´s an ultimate sandbox!
it is not only a naval simulation, it also covers in depth air warfare.
the editor is easy to learn, so you can create any scenario you think of (all from 1945 to 2020+). From single air strikes, naval engagements to full nuclear war... and if you have questions and any problems, the community will help you!

just my opinion, but i think it is worth the money!

also it is constantly updated by the devs, they listen to the community. one of the best supported game by the developers that i ever witnessed!

the interface is windows based and easy to understand/learn.

btw: the thread that hoooked me! [:D]
tm.asp?m=3420644

tommo8993

Post by tommo8993 »

YES!!!! 101% yes. If you have a semi-decent rig then yeah. Some of the bigger scenarios can be hard on your pc. I bought it, best £60 i ever spent.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

For $60 on Steam, I would not hesitate. The Harpooners did their best, but the graphics, GUI, etc. are really ridiculous in this day and age, and I was foolish to buy the latest versions from Matrix.

CMANO is cutting edge, there are already hundreds of user scenarios for it, and it's going to be around for the long term. Basically, the new Harpoon. When they get the issues like morale and nation-specific performance in there, it will be near perfect.
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

This sounds good; one more question if I may ask...

Would I be able to deploy armed oil rigs or Iranian SSM batteries?
I am not seeing a platform editor; not that I need one, but is there that kind of functionality in the editor?

And I thank you for answering my questions.
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Yes. The scenario editor comes with the ability to add sensor and mounts to existing warships or platforms. We also do regular database updates to reflect real world changes to known platforms.

Thanks!

Mike
ultradave

Post by ultradave »

To give an example there are 14 different entries for Iranian SSM Bns in the database and there is a generic "platform" with a helo pad.

The developers are great at adding new platforms when requested, especially if the request contains some links to detailed information on the requested new platform.

Also, if you are a veteran Harpoon player, if you are like me, you'll find that as great as Harpoon was, Command ANO is everything you'd have wished Harpoon could become and a lot more. It's different, but a Harpoon background will make you a fast learner. There are many similar concepts. (and lots of new ones)

Buy it :-)
----------------
Dave A.
"When the Boogeyman goes to sleep he checks his closet for paratroopers"
goodwoodrw

Post by goodwoodrw »

Yes
Formerly Goodwood

CassioM

Post by CassioM »

I played, and still play, Harpoon for many years since the early 90s. I'm completely fond of this series and very grateful to the developers and their community for their excellent work done during all those years.

Command is great renewal within that same path created by Harpoon. Despite having only a little over a year of life, CMANO community is extremely active and impressive.

If you are an aficionado of modern war equipment, techno-trillers, among others. Go and buy this game, the fun is guaranteed.

Command and Harpoon are the most played games on my computer. Both deserve all respect from enthusiasts for military games.
Meroka37

Post by Meroka37 »

Simply YES, it is a must if you like air/naval sims.
'Better honor without ships, than ships without honor"
pdanders

Post by pdanders »

It's a definite buy. I love Harpoon and still play it, but it has certain aspects of the simulation (air to air combat is pretty terrible - backwards firing missiles!, 360 degree radars are kind of lame also) that bother me. I was never able to get into Harpoon 3 because honestly the User interface is terribad even though the simulation is improved from Harpoon (Harpoon 3 is IMO just way too much work to play).

IMO CMANO is much more like the original Harpoon interface wise, but with a ton of much needed improvements.... and they also took and expanded on some of the great ideas in Harpoon 3 (missions, etc). The result being the best of both worlds.

Since you are an old Harpoon player this is a complete no brainer
magi

Post by magi »

i played Harpoon for like twenty years or something...... this CMANO game is outstanding... and keeps getting better... like monthly... get it you'll love it.....
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

Thank you all very much for your time!

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”