Unit detail question

Frank Hunter's Campaigns on the Danube is an operational study of the campaigns along the Danube in 1805 and 1809. Campaigns on the Danube's system focuses on trying to present the player with the same sort of decisions placed on their historical counterparts; how to feed an army and move that army according to a plan, all the while trying to fight a campaign. There is also an option to allow players to play out the battles with miniatures and input the results.
Agathosdaimon

Unit detail question

Post by Agathosdaimon »

Something i have noticed with COTD (i forget if i noticed this before the beta patch) but are the details for units much more simplified than in the La Grande Armee 1806 Vol 1 game? In CotD the units all seem but just three types -infantry, cav, art - are there no designations for light and heavy cavalry ? i ask this as i was think of doing some cavalry recon and screening and didnt want to use heavy cavalry for this

attached is an image from the 1806 game that Frank did before CotD and it shows the different unit icons, though in CotD i have only seen one icon type for cavalry

Attachments
LGAVol11806.jpg
LGAVol11806.jpg (197.85 KiB) Viewed 208 times
Gribeauval

RE: Unit detail question

Post by Gribeauval »

Campaigns on the Danube has different graphics for the different cavalry (light/heavy),you can find them in one of the directory of the game, but it uses only the "dragoon type" in the Ulm scenario (I have tried this scenario only).
Maybe is it a bug.
Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

hmm - well i hope frank can look into this - that is interesting regarding the counters - they are simply bmps so one can feasibly make some of their own modded version to make the distinctions better?
Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

looking through many of the scenarios - none of them seem to show the units for hte french other than the general same 3 - is this just because at the start of the battle, things are all together and over time and through multiple battles thinks break down and smaller elements of units become visible? that doesnt really help for me wanting to initially detach and assign some cavalry a recon - that i have to send off such a large block of them to do so

actually something i hav enoticed is that all the units counters are ones which have this extra red box in it -howeveri cannot find any such description for this in the manual. - if it is an added attribute then somehow it has removed all the other unit icons from appearing?

see the red boxes on all the units in teh game - i am not sure what they are designating - also disregard the mod i made to the cav icon - thats just me playing round with possibilities

Attachments
unitdiversitygone.jpg
unitdiversitygone.jpg (196.78 KiB) Viewed 208 times
newmanovci

Post by newmanovci »

Been a while since I've played, but from memory doesn't the red box indicate stragglers? (With a number inside to indicate strength of same). Not sure what an empty red box would mean in that case though.
Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

thats also why i think something is wrong bugwise with the counters in this beta patch - as there are alot of smaller brig/division counters which dont use the red box at all - this can be seen in the manual, showing some of the counters as well as on screenshots of the game in its older format on the matrix product page

but othe rmain point is that all cav is just showing with a dragoon icon now and all inf with the same icon also - despite there being crucial differences among the cav and inf types
FrankHunter

Post by FrankHunter »

The red box is the total of wounded and stragglers.

I will fix the display of the images. I already checked and the underlying differences between different types is as normal, such as between heavy and light cav etc.

Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

Ah right, well it is definately though an issue, i went looking through the other campaigns not just ulm and no variation is appearing with the units in neither side and when i went to a battle screen this was even more apparent
Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

please fix this -, i cant play the game until this is fixed as i cant actually tell what units are what - this makes the game unplayable for me
Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

okay in case there is any doubt to th eissue in the beta that i am raising i have uninstalled cotd and reinstalled it as 2.22 first to get some screenshots and then installed the beta to get some of the 3.0 screenshots and you can easily see the problems

Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

firstly the intel in 2.22 is absent in 3.0 - this is from the started of the ulm campaign firstly 2.22:

Attachments
intel2.22.jpg
intel2.22.jpg (48.56 KiB) Viewed 210 times
Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

now 3.0

Attachments
intel 3.0.jpg
intel 3.0.jpg (45.51 KiB) Viewed 210 times
Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

and when it comes to the campaign map in 2.22 0 you see the oblique stacks that indicate the number of units on a hex clearly without having to move hte mouse of each one, and also the ingame map you can use to move easily around
also note in the 2.22 image Nansouty is a hussar image

Attachments
mapscreen2.jpg
mapscreen2.jpg (183.13 KiB) Viewed 210 times
Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

now in 3.0 Nansouty and all cav are just the same cuirassier image notice also that a stack of 20 now just looks like one unit, unless you see in the top right corner

Attachments
nansouty.jpg
nansouty.jpg (198.08 KiB) Viewed 210 times
Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

and the battle screen shows a variety of units in 2.22

Attachments
battlescene2.22.jpg
battlescene2.22.jpg (123.93 KiB) Viewed 210 times
Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

but in 3.0 that is all now absent

Attachments
battlescene3.jpg
battlescene3.jpg (159.77 KiB) Viewed 210 times
Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

on a side note, Murat needs some coaching on his communication issues
FrankHunter

Post by FrankHunter »

Agathosdaimon, thanks for the reports.

First, intelligence reports are now only in games played with full fog which is why the report you see is empty.

Second, the display of various unit sub-types has been fixed for 3.01.

Third, the interface is completely new and that includes the graphics and one of the results of the changes is that I didn't reproduce the offset counter effect from the earlier version. Instead there's a text that displays number of units in a hex.

Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

great tanks for that info and for the fix - though with the offsetting of the units its fine that you can see the stack number on the top right, the angled stacking though helps even with jus tthe black shadow to set what weight of units is where, its good for an overview

speaking of overview, a jump map like in the 2.22. version will that reappear = that is very helpful, the popup map now on the screen cannot be used for any jump and it doesnt show unit locations or anything of value

why have you mad ethe change to the intel reports? i am just curious, i like the full fog of war but i like also to play games where the battles are shown as they are interesting too
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

ORIGINAL: FrankHunter
Agathosdaimon, thanks for the reports.

First, intelligence reports are now only in games played with full fog which is why the report you see is empty.

Second, the display of various unit sub-types has been fixed for 3.01.
Third, the interface is completely new and that includes the graphics and one of the results of the changes is that I didn't reproduce the offset counter effect from the earlier version. Instead there's a text that displays number of units in a hex.

As there is no strength information on enemy unit counters, whatever FOW setting is applied, it would be very useful to have the 'Intelligence Reports' feature restored in the lower FOW settings, so that players can at least make an 'educated' guess on the strength of enemy units. Some information is more realistic than having none at all.[:)]
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon

Return to “Campaigns on the Danube 1805 - 1809”