Just conversation

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

GaryChildress

RE: Just conversation

Post by GaryChildress »

Well it appears I am on my way "down" again (I am diagnosed with bipolar "illness") so I will take that as a sign that I have made an unwise decision today. Thank you everyone for the opportunity to chit chat a bit. I apologize for any harm or stupidity I may have been responsible for. [:(]
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: Orm

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

Hmm. I don't know if this is philosophy though, simply regurgitating the "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy". Philosophy must begin with solid foundations. The question is, what are those foundations? What are some values which are worth building upon? Would you agree?
No I could not agree at this point because I would not be sure what I was agreeing to. I am sure that there are solid foundations in philosophy but to me they are not yet solid. I have far to travel when it comes to philosophy.

Why don't you suggest a solid foundation and some values to build upon. Then I could even further reveal my ignorance and people more wise than me get something to talk about.

Hi Orm, I had originally posted a different response to this. But I will reply in kind. I do not know what I am getting myself into by donating to Doctors Without Borders but I would like to think that it is a good donation and a good decision. Does Doctors Without Borders have a proportionate number of Americans on its staff? And if there are Americans on the staff of Doctors Without Borders? How are they treated? Are they treated with dignity and respect? Or are we Americans all "clueless" and need to be "educated" about something? If we are in need of "education" then in what area might we possess deficiency?

Thank you for enlightening me...
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Well it appears I am on my way "down" again (I am diagnosed with bipolar "illness") 
warspite1

Sorry to hear that.... [:(]
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

No worries Warspite1 (as my brothers and sisters in Australia say). It was nothing you did to upset me. I am trying to cope with my "illness" but it is not always easy. I appreciate your sentiments but they are not helpful just the same. Please always be mindful of others and remember that not everyone is the same and not all Americans are as ignorant as I am.

Best regards,

Gary
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Hmm. I don't know if this is philosophy though, simply regurgitating the "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy". Philosophy must begin with solid foundations. The question is, what are those foundations? What are some values which are worth building upon? Would you agree?
No I could not agree at this point because I would not be sure what I was agreeing to. I am sure that there are solid foundations in philosophy but to me they are not yet solid. I have far to travel when it comes to philosophy.

Why don't you suggest a solid foundation and some values to build upon. Then I could even further reveal my ignorance and people more wise than me get something to talk about.

Orm, Please forgive me. As always I think I have misunderstood. I don't pretend to be a "high and mighty" philosopher". My intend is to build bridges, not burn them. I did not recognize that you may truly be ignorant of philosophy. I was under the assumption that everyone here is a human being and we are all on more or less equal terms regardless of our "walks of life". and that we all may chip in to think about what might be some good values to build upon. I do not feel comfortable suggesting my own because there is a lot I don't know about the world. I will not expect you to agree to anything you do not understand. I am a builder not a destroyer. I apologize again for my misunderstanding...

Orm

Post by Orm »

Of course I forgive you.

But with that said I must have missed why you would feel the need to be forgiven by me. But there is no need to explain it to me. I've been away most of the day so I have not read the thread since I last posted.

Could we move past whatever it was and both be happy? And continue with some nice, friendly discussions?

With that said I will retire after the night, or almost anyway, because I will make one last post in this thread before going to bed.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Orm

Post by Orm »

I do not know what I am getting myself into by donating to Doctors Without Borders but I would like to think that it is a good donation and a good decision. Does Doctors Without Borders have a proportionate number of Americans on its staff? And if there are Americans on the staff of Doctors Without Borders? How are they treated? Are they treated with dignity and respect? Or are we Americans all "clueless" and need to be "educated" about something? If we are in need of "education" then in what area might we possess deficiency?

I am going to quote a dear forum member, rhondabrwn, here. She said it better than I could. [:)]
Doctors Without Borders gets my contributions. They do good work and only about 8% goes for administration and fund raising. With ALS it's 27%... better than a lot of them, I'll admit, but not in the same class.

If there is a disaster in the world, you ALWAYS see Doctor's Without Borders on the scene. Right now they are fighting Ebola and that is one high risk endeavor :(

Like everything else, you can find some skeptics out there who are critical of their operation, but I'm satisfied that they are a organization to support.

I have also been known to support the Red Cross and CARE.

And with that I am turning in for the night. I do wish you have a nice evening. [:)]

[>:][>:][>:]

[;)]
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

I do not know what I am getting myself into by donating to Doctors Without Borders but I would like to think that it is a good donation and a good decision. Does Doctors Without Borders have a proportionate number of Americans on its staff? And if there are Americans on the staff of Doctors Without Borders? How are they treated? Are they treated with dignity and respect? Or are we Americans all "clueless" and need to be "educated" about something? If we are in need of "education" then in what area might we possess deficiency?

I am going to quote a dear forum member, rhondabrwn, here. She said it better than I could. [:)]
Doctors Without Borders gets my contributions. They do good work and only about 8% goes for administration and fund raising. With ALS it's 27%... better than a lot of them, I'll admit, but not in the same class.

If there is a disaster in the world, you ALWAYS see Doctor's Without Borders on the scene. Right now they are fighting Ebola and that is one high risk endeavor :(

Like everything else, you can find some skeptics out there who are critical of their operation, but I'm satisfied that they are a organization to support.

I have also been known to support the Red Cross and CARE.

And with that I am turning in for the night. I do wish you have a nice evening. [:)]

[>:][>:][>:]

[;)]

Thank you Orm. I wish you the best as well. Take care...
Orm

Post by Orm »

I have been reading up on wikipedia on philosophy, values and foundations. And I am confused as I always been when I read on such things. Fascinated but confused. That much of it is in the English language does not help either.

Much here that I do not understand.

For a while I thought I understood pragmatism but then I got to the philosophy of science and I realized that I do not get it.

Anyway. If you do not want to discuss these things at the moment then that is ok with me. If you want to discuss them in a serious manner then I think I better stay out of the discussion and just read it and try to learn. But if you do not mind my ignorance and misunderstandings then I am happy to try my best. I do, however, suspect that I will be lost and confused even by the basic stuff. But it do seem interesting. [:)]
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

OK. Thank you Orm. I understand what you say. There are infinitely more things I don't understand than I do understand so maybe you and I are like two people, one grasping at the leg of a proverbial elephant and one grasping at the trunk and maybe others are grasping at some other part they would like not to discuss. [:D]

EDIT: Sorry, I'm not one to laugh. I've grabbed at many different parts of this "elephant" myself. So I apologize to anyone who has grabbed at a part of the elephant that may seem...um...unsavory.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Since I am no longer welcome in other threads I will post in this one. I've been up all night unable to sleep because of many changes in my life right now. Losing my job a while back, no prospects on the horizon. But that is no one's problem but my own. I only post to explain myself.  And I am not "depressed" I am "alert". I have a lot of mental energy and nothing other to do with it that converse on a forum. I guess I will stop being "all over the place" and restrict myself to this thread if that is acceptable. Apparently others feel the need to "help me". I have made a stern decision about what all you call "mental illness". It is not something that needs to be fixed or shut away in a dark corner somewhere where no one can see it. It is who I am in our society. I have committed no crime other than to be slow to learn some things and eager to subordinate myself to others. I feel like I am always "walking on eggs" wherever I go. I guess that is what is called a "disease" also. But I walk softly on those eggs as much as it pains me to be so "careful". I would like to be who I am a human being. But all these labels? "Neckbeard", "dinosaur", what have you people been reading and watching? TV? Have you not been watching each other and seeing what you are doing to each other with all these labels. Or maybe it is I who have volunteered to be called all the bad things in the world because I didn't want anyone to get "hurt". But I will not be called some things. I have committed no crime other than to make people feel awkward and uncomfortable.

And yet I ruin everyone's "fun". We are bombing ISIS right now because of a couple murdered journalists. Yes it was wrong to kill those journalists but haven't we been through all this before? Isn't it time to stop bombing people? Isn't it time to "wake up" to what our world is and has become?

Sorry if I have spoiled the "party" but in my mind there is serious work to be done in creating peace right now and partying should be for after we have created this peace.

I will not venture out of this thread anymore until it is OK to do so. This is now "my thread" and my only habitat here on this forum. Anyone may post anything they want in my thread except pictures of scantily clad females and anything that is unseemly. I may or may not respond depending upon what you post and whether or not it is something nice to say.

Thank you for tolerating the "likes" of me. Sorry danlongman but you are still a "nucleus". I know it is a horrible label to be a "nucleus" but I'm sure "neckbeard" is nothing to scoff at either. Feel free to call others what you would like in my thread dan.

vonRocko

Post by vonRocko »

[8|]
"dinosaur"-I like that title. I wear it proudly.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: vonRocko

[8|]
"dinosaur"-I like that title. I wear it proudly.

OK. "Dinosaur". If you are to be a proud "dinosaur" then what am I?

BTW: Dan is still a "nucleus" whether he likes the title or not.
vonRocko

Post by vonRocko »

" OK. "Dinosaur". If you are to be a proud "dinosaur" then what am I?"
You are just a human who takes this life to seriously. We all do at times. This "reality" comes to an end. Just try to enjoy the ride.[:)]
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Since I see I have been called by another on this forum "clueless" I will be posting until further notice as "clueless"--proudly.

Here are the words of "clueless":

Dear vonRocko,

What sort of "ride" are the two of us on? Are you and I sure that we are on a good "ride"? Perhaps the theme park has overgrown its boundaries and now stretches into the community where serious work needs to be done. VonRocko, those two journalists did not deserve their fate and ISIS was wrong to kill them. However, we have all been through all this before, bombing others for their transgressions, and ended up with the WTC incident. Who knows what seeds Israel has sown in the Gaza incursion. Have there been any great thinkers from Israel since their foundation? I suspect Israel is intellectually bankrupt until they figure out how to produce something of value in this world other than violence.

But vonRocko I cannot call you "dinosaur" because you are a human being and human beings are not "extinct". Dan on the other hand will remain a "nucleaus" until he stops thinking of his daughter's companions as "playmates". When dan tells me they are no longer "playmates" I will stop calling him a "nucleus".

Sincerely,

"Clueless"
Orm

Post by Orm »

I think that a discussion on ISIS and such could be interesting but I am pretty sure that it would be in violation of the forum rules. So it might be wise to await a ok from a moderator before continuing with that discussion.

No offence was indented with this post.
Orm

Post by Orm »

I must that I am not all that fond of calling each other for names. Even if voluntary. I might be both dumb, slow, and stupid and I think I have called myself all of them at least once. But I would still not call me that on a regular basis. I would certainly not call anyone else that.

I might have, from time to time, called someone great or sir or my lord but I do not think I have given others negative epithets.

Most times that epithets have been used on this forum I suspect it has been intended to be in a joking and friendly manner. But I noticed that what is written is more easily misunderstood.

GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

I think that a discussion on ISIS and such could be interesting but I am pretty sure that it would be in violation of the forum rules. So it might be wise to await a ok from a moderator before continuing with that discussion.

No offence was indented with this post.

Orm, I consider you a friend and think highly of you, therefore I will heed your wise counsel. You and Rhonda helped me to see the light. I made a donation to Doctors Without Borders because of the two of you and I was rejuvenated from complete spiritual bankruptcy. It was the greatest act I have ever done in my life and I wish to keep it that way. Therefore I will speak no longer of the group mentioned above. I will not even mention their name until further notice (not referring to Doctors Without Borders, I shall always praise them).

Thank you for the "head's up", Orm.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

I must that I am not all that fond of calling each other for names. Even if voluntary. I might be both dumb, slow, and stupid and I think I have called myself all of them at least once. But I would still not call me that on a regular basis. I would certainly not call anyone else that.

I might have, from time to time, called someone great or sir or my lord but I do not think I have given others negative epithets.

Most times that epithets have been used on this forum I suspect it has been intended to be in a joking and friendly manner. But I noticed that what is written is more easily misunderstood.

Hi Orm,

Names are also important because they tell us who we are in relation to others. So I do not begrudge you for using "names" to address others, even me. It is almost impossible not to call people "names" ("people" is a "name") but we must call them names carefully because they may or may not resent those names depending upon who they are. That is the way of the Internet and the Internet extends into the home of many people on this planet.

BTW: If I'm not mistaken, my name "Gary" meant "spear carrier" in some European language once upon a time (I believe I read that once). Of course it no longer means quite what it did. I am not a "spear carrier". Many people invent names of their own these days because they do not wish to be associated with the "meanings" of "conventional" names.

Anyway, I wish you the best as always Orm.

Gary.
Orm

Post by Orm »

I should have written epithet instead of names. I often use the wrong words when I write in English. [:(]

Return to “General Discussion”