Noob questions..agn

Advanced Tactics is a versatile turn-based strategy system that gives gamers the chance to wage almost any battle in any time period. The initial release focuses on World War II and includes a number of historical scenarios as well as a full editor! This forum supports both the original Advanced Tactics and the new and improved Advanced Tactics: Gold Edition.

Moderator: Vic

PittBull

Noob questions..agn

Post by PittBull »

I have just started playing small random games to get a feel beyond the tutorials.
1. I understand how to build units and transfer them...BUT

2. How do I build units and have them show up in a location other than the Supreme HQ?

3. What's the purpose of assigning an Hq to a city?

4. I haven't found this answer in the manual...how do I "load" units onto trucks or other transport?

5. Is the manual a little short on the "how to do something" or is it just that I can't find the answer.

Anyway thanks. Used to play Avalon Hill's Tactics II many, many moons ago. My wife actually notice the similarity from glancing at the screen last night.
In Him
PittBull
Tac2i

RE: Noob questions..agn

Post by Tac2i »

Welcome to ATG! I use to play AH's Tactics II as well. Still have it as a matter of fact.

2) you can create a container for a unit anywhere but it must be within range of an HQ to transfer components into it.

3) To receive whatever that city is producing (if in range).

4) transfer transport vehicles (or horses) into the unit. Exception: cargo ships have an embark/debark feature. Note: horses cannot tow heavy artillery.

5) game manuals in general are often lacking in some details.
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
Kaldadarnes

Post by Kaldadarnes »

Pitbull,

Some quick answers to your questions:

2. All production from cities and factories goes to an HQ. At the beginning of the game they default to your Supreme HQ but to change that, go into the production facility and somewhere on the left of the bar there will be an icon (I think it’s either a little flag or HQ icon). Click that and it will give you a list of HQs to choose from – whichever you choose, that is where the production from that city will end up (unless you are building political points, raw or oil – they just go into a general stockpile)

3. The purpose of assigning production to an individual HQ is to save you having to transfer all your new production manually to its intended HQ from your Supreme HQ. This places big demands on your transport system (in other words you need to build lots of trains…)

4. you don’t need to load units on to transport – if they are in the same unit then the transport is automatically assigned. i.e. if you have 40 riflemen and you want to motorise them, if you assign 2 trucks to the same unit then *hey presto” they are motorised. If when you have a unit selected you click on the “LOG” button (to the left of the unit pictures) then you should see a unit weight and unit transport figure. If the transport figure is higher than the weight then it is transported. It’s a shade more complex than that for transferring between units (based on some algorithm of unit weight, distance, and number of trains & trucks) and paratrooper drops are different also, but that’s the basic concept.

5. The manual is very short on “how to do something”. Hence this forum gets busy. However, your basic approach of “try, get stuck, ask a question on the forum” is definitely the way to learn the game! Rinse and repeat half a dozen times and you’ll be getting there!

Cheers

K

*darn it, webizen beat me to the reply button ;)
Omnia Videmus
Whydmer

Post by Whydmer »

If you create a new unit less than 3 hexes from the HQ you assign it to, or that it will be receiving transfers from (ideally you will be assigning a unit to the HQ it will receive transfers from but things don't always work ideally), anyway if you are transferring a distance of three hexes or less the units transferring can do so under their "own power". This way you are not using the Land Cap (or capacity) or Rail Cap of the transferring HQ. The individual units (also referred to as SFT's) arrive at the destination container unit (your new division) with less readiness though.

If both sides in the transfer are on a railroad then the Rail Cap of the sending HQ can be used allowing you to send long distances with no oil use, but the greater the distance you are transferring anything the more Capacity it is taking up. IE it may take only 300 Rail Cap to send a Lt Tank 10 hexes, but to send it 50 hexes it will cost you 5000 Rail Cap.

land Cap uses the Truck capacity of the sending unit and it looks at how far you can move a truck in the terrain around the unit.

I hope that was clear.
PittBull

Post by PittBull »

Thank you all. This has really helped.
In Him
PittBull

Return to “Advanced Tactics Series”