Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Japhet

RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod

Post by Japhet »

Arrgh! That's a pity!

Maybe we should make a list of all immersion breakers & posible solutions and ask the devs, if they will implement some new modding features in upcoming patches that adress said problems.

On the other side: Lizard people! I wanted to base the Tarellians on the Saurus warriors from Warhammer Fantasy, but due the lack of usable images, I based them on the Gorn from Star Trek Online.

Hope I can make the Vrakk distinctive from them.

Btw, are you still going to add the Squats and seperate the Eldar into Craftworlders and Exodites?
Attachments
Tarellian.zip
(621.12 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
mensrea

Post by mensrea »

I have a list of dev requests but to be honest I don't expect them to fix it so I probably won't publish it. Further, I got myself into the situation because I added races that I knew (or should have known) wouldn't work out right. I cannot in good conscience ask the devs to fix something I should have been cognizant of to begin with. One should mod based off what they can do, not what they think they can do.

I am fond of Star Trek, so I endorse cross overs like that. I kind of look at star trek as what the 40k humans were like before everything went to shit during the birth of Slaanesh.

The Eldar separation will occur when I work on the 41k conversion. I don't know about the Squats..though I did consider adding Scrunts as a joke, but I don't think that would be an efficient use of my time.

Other than what I have already committed to I won't be making any more promises as I recently got together with some people to revive a project I had designed about a year ago. It's a mod for another game and its written in Java, so I will probably be completely absorbed by both the scope and depth of that project. I am going to try to wrap this project up in the next two weeks. I will provide ongoing support but likely not commit to any new content. To clarify, this doesn't mean that I'm just going to walk away from it or something and no longer fix stuff, just that I won't be adding much more. Of course, after the next update, there really won't be anything left to add.
Capshades

Post by Capshades »

I meant that out of 4 different games in the past 2 versions, the Auretians always only have 10m people at their worlds, and this is late game.

And yes, adding the AP cyclonic torpedo makes a ship design unbuildable. I can make the design and then manually order the ships to retrofit, but I can't build ships with the torpedo on board. Not that I really need more than one haha
mensrea

Post by mensrea »

Cap, I just checked out the Auretians and cannot see any reason why their population would be stuck at 10 million. I even played as them just to make sure and there is nothing indicating that that should be happening. Really, I don't understand how that's even possible as even without ample food and water there is still a little population growth. Have you ever seen that happen with any other race?

I am also not sure why AP cyclonic torpedoes are behaving like that. I checked the component file and everything is as it should be. This might be a case of undocumented limits or something and if anyone else has had similar experiences please let me know.

Also, for the next update there may actually be less techs. I am combining some tech lines that I don't really see anyone researching, namely cargo scanners and resource scanners and cloak and cargo jammers. Working on AI pathing has illuminated many weak points in the tech tree so I am generally addressing those as I go along. I can't think of anything else to add tech wise without screwing up the AI's ability to select relevant components (if there are two components that fulfill the same purpose only one will be selected to be used in any given design, so having multiple different components is a waste; see colonial marines barracks and normal boarding system for an in-mod example). I will be adding a tech line for craft hangers though, as that seems to be relevant. There will also be a couple tech lines for new Tyranid components, and a unique Eldar cloaking device that fits right in with their holoshield countermeasures. I may add something for the Damned if I can think of it, but I have not had luck in that department.

I am also questioning the existence of an independent fuel cell tech line. It seems like a waste and I will likely combine it with the logistics tech line.

EDIT: I think I will add a unique resource extraction tech for slaver races like the Dark Eldar and Damned. Any other ideas?
Cyrtis

Post by Cyrtis »

By native life I mean all those non-sapient critters.

Oh, the Dark Eldar should have genetic engineering as a legacy. Most dark eldar are born from cloning vats (vs. the trueborn, who are born the natural way). That's how they keep their population up despite their masochistic tendencies.

Chaos seems to have a lot of power in mind controlling people. Could that be replicated in a tech that increases migration?
Locust71

Post by Locust71 »

Hehe, just catched a Dark Eldar spy named Sjostrom [:)] That's my name. Sjöström. Sjostrom english spelling [:D]
Locust71

Post by Locust71 »

Something I found:

An example. I have a troop-transport. It can carry 20 troops. It means it can carry 20 infantry or 10 armour. In the empire policy screen i have set my ships to always load 100% armour. My ship is set to load 10 armour.

The ship load 10 armour at one of my planets. All is fine.

I then attack a independent planet with my ship and my troops conquer it. All is fine.

After a while when things have calmed down on the planet I want to reload my troops to my ship again. Same ship. Same troops. Still 10 armour. BUT, only 9 get loaded. 1 is left on the planet. It's not set to garrison. It's just sitting there. Refuse to be loaded. When i try to manually load the troop, the ship is not on the transfer list. That troop can be loaded by another ship, and the ship can go to another planet an load 1 more armour.

So, that troop that got stuck on the planet can be loaded by another ship. And the ship with 9 armour can go to another planet and load 1 more armour. But not THAT armour on THAT ship. Confucing.

This happen more often with big ships. And i like big ships [:)] I build capital ships with room for 20 armour [:D]

Next thing: Is colony modules working as intended? I have never seen a newly colonized planet with more than 200m people.
mensrea

Post by mensrea »

Cyrtis - We can't add native life because there is no vanilla mechanic for stuff like that. All I can do is edit the images for space monsters. As for the Dark Eldar, it is done and thank you for that info.

The Chaos mind control thing could be represented by a happiness bonus. There are no techs that increase migration.

Locust - Anyone who posts on the thread gets a named character, so you saw yourself. That issue with the troop thing is bizarre...I couldn't even fathom what would cause that, but its probably an issue with me making troop transports that can hold more troops than vanillas. This probably means that I will just have to set troop transport levels to vanilla levels. We are also probably hitting yet another undocumented limit with the population values of colony modules.

There's actually quite a few undocumented limits when it comes to modding capabilities in this game. I should probably compile my findings so I can spare other modders from having to discover the same things I already have the hard way.
swizzlewizzle

Post by swizzlewizzle »

Probably safe to just say that if it's not in the mod guide, it can't be done.
mensrea

Post by mensrea »

The kind of limits I'm talking about pertain to parts of the game the manual says we can mod. For instance, it says we can mod the resources file but if you remove gold the game crashes on map generation. Then there are a lot of components whose numbers do nothing if taken beyond a certain threshold, troop transports for instance, while the manual doesn't note anything like that. That gold thing in particular got me good when I first started modding. I wound up rewriting everything only to get the same crash, at which point I started removing things bit by bit until I narrowed it down to gold.

Then theres the issue of being told you can add 300 components only to find that it cuts off after 256. I would be really mad if that happened to me.
swizzlewizzle

Post by swizzlewizzle »

Wow.. that's pretty bad honestly.
Japhet

Post by Japhet »

Didn't do much lately, felt a little burned out and had other stuff to do. However I worked on Tyranid ships, because I could stand the thought of leaving them unfinished. They're my second favourite race after all. The space stations are not particulary good looking, but it's better than nothing. Finding usable images of organic looking space craft is really hard. Not even the Zerg had anything good to offer...

mensrea, I tried a little bit of basic modding by myself and holy crap, that's not fun at all. I cannot count the time I spent looking through various text files just to find the one missing comma which causes the game to crash! Man,that's really frustrating.[:@] Seriously, how did you make it this far? Just thinking of modding the reasearch file makes me dizzy...
Attachments
Tyranidships.zip
(1.59 MiB) Downloaded 13 times
Capshades

Post by Capshades »

OK, I have to apologize for two false positive bugs.

First off, my newness to this late-stage of game meant that I didn't understand how world destroyers are built (at stars, not spaceports.) This is what I was having problems with.

Second, the A/M engines are not the cause of energy problems in my ships. I personally now think it has something to do with how the game calculates energy usage per weapon per second, because my ships have enough energy to cover weapons+engines+hyperdrive, yet soon after they engage in combat they drain all their power firing weapons.
mensrea

Post by mensrea »

The update is ready. I didn't do everything I wanted to, but I decided to go ahead and add the Tyranids and Damned. It will be much easier to balance the races overall after they have all been released and tested. The Damned are just a pre-Heresy Chaos race and I made them a major race at that. I also made many changes and did a lot of balancing with the tech tree. The full list of updates are described better in the changelog below. In addition to this I also made sure to include Japhets new artwork. I am going to add the old graphics back as well for this update, just not the music.

Here it is: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/561 ... 20v.12.zip

And here is the changelog:

v.12 changelog
-add tyranids, damned (chaos)
-reworked race bias
-fixed necron bug, anti-matter engine bug, anti-matter engine tech progression, construction tech progression
-rebalanced reactors
-rebalanced troop techs. make ground troop techs add 10/20/30/etc to defense and offense
-moved dedicated carriers to level 0 fighter tech
-add independent hanger tech, nerf hangers (fighters are OP and laggy)
-alphabetize race list for all "allowed races"
-add components: Eldar/DA cloaking, Tyranid torpedo, slaver resource gathering, Tyranid bio-repair, Tyranid fleet targeting, Tyranid fleet counter, cloak system for smaller ships, Tyranid warp disruption
-remove resilience, condense with space survival thing
-remove subversive, condense with special cloaking thing
-remove gen mod, condense with cloning mastery
-add eldar, dark eldar and tyranids to infantry supremacy
-rebalanced fighters
-rebalance sensors
-lower gravity beam damage
-tech 0 warp disrupter and better upgrades
-combine trace and resource scanners
-combine fuel with logistics
-combine cloak with scanner jammer
-make infantry supremacy better
-rebalanced orbital work crew modules
-reorganize and alphabetize races and pictures
Capshades

Post by Capshades »

So wait, there actually was an A/M engine bug? I thought it was the weapons lol
mensrea

Post by mensrea »

Well, Cap, it still should be working even if there is no power available, as it had a draw of 0 power. I set it to 1 and made sure to buff other factors to make up for that. I just don't think it was ever meant to have a draw of 0 power and so didn't know how to handle it right.

Japhet - I'm really glad you gave me those Tyranid ships when you did else I would have let Tyranids default to some vanilla model. When it comes to modding, up until the current racial balancing and AI pathing, it has been a lot of fun, but especially with the AI pathing now it has become very tedious and I am pushing myself to keep going. Also, there is a better way of troubleshooting modding problems. Make sure you are changing themes to your mod, as if you do you will get an error prompt telling you to check the line where something went wrong. If you overwrite vanilla or something you won't get that prompt, the game will just fail to launch. I also highly suggest using notepad++, not just for being able to see the lines but it is very useful overall. Oh, I have also switched over to using your top-down troop models as the standard. I figure even if you stop releasing them I could whip up a few myself, and you provided me with all those nice sheets of them I can copy/paste from. Thanks again, man.

All - At this point there is very little I feel I can add to the tech tree. I thought about adding another armor component but I'm not sure what it's niche would be. I do have one final thing that I would like to add, which is a tech line dedicated to creating viruses that can be spread, but I have to test to see if it actually works first, else I will be adding a biochem bombard weapon for the masses. Other than that, I guess I could make construction tech it's own line. Does anyone have any suggestions? I would like to maintain about 50 tech slots for anything that may come up in the future, meaning we have about 100 techs to work with. We also have plenty of empty component slots (about 100), so that's not even a near issue.
Japhet

Post by Japhet »

No problem. The funny thing is, I'm trying to create some side-view troops now, because I started to like the vanilla troop images a lot. Sadly, ground combat isn't a huge factor in DW and the images are small, so they will go unoticed by the majority of players. [:(] Btw, I got allmost all troops from here:

http://zenseeker.net/PaperMiniatures/Warhammer40K.htm

I will try notepad++, thanks for the advise. I actually do the theme-switching, but even if the error message said the line, I had trouble finding out what was wrong.

Capshades

Post by Capshades »

Well, I finally had the heresy event activate at exactly 200 years after game start...
mensrea

Post by mensrea »

LOL 200 years...is this a game that you forgot was running or something? I guess its better late than never but...I wish I knew why it took so long. Can you take some screenshots? And what are they like? I can't imagine that after 200 years they are really a problem.
Capshades

Post by Capshades »

No I just blew up their planet, so not much of a problem lol...but I think there's a bug related to them. Towards the end of the story leading up to their appearance, you get a lot of random abandoned gas mining ships that appear, and when you discover them they give you part of the storyline. Only thing is, they keep appearing even after I've destroyed the heretics. I've gotten 20+ gas mining ships since the war ended.

I'll see if I still have an auto-save file from before they went boom. The current save files average about 80-90mb, so I had to decrease the auto-save to once every hour.

Return to “Design and Modding”