Matrix Game Demography

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

GaryChildress

RE: Matrix Game Demography

Post by GaryChildress »

EDIT: Sorry, wrong thread...
MickM2

Post by MickM2 »

Unable to post links for 7 days for some reason. Anyway it was in the British newspapers this week. Search in the Guardian and '52% of gamers are female' and you'll find the source.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

I take that back. This is the right thread for me. What are you talking about Missouri Rebel? Extremists on both side of what? Is there a spectrum of gamers or something? Or are we no longer talking about the gaming industry? All I see here are a bunch of people interested in some of the games offered by Matrix and Slitherine who are discussing things. Now we are talking about some sort of exclusion? Maybe I'm misunderstanding but I would think the fact that you are here in the forums is a pretty good indicator that  you aren't being excluded. On the other hand it does concern me a little that I have not noticed Mr. Rutins posting lately and Pipfromslitherine instead. Are the regular Matrix crew on a well deserved vacation? I'm a little concerned here.
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

How many of you boys enjoy cross stitching? Just curious :)

There's nothing at all wrong with the way our wargames are made.

But, a person has to want to play a wargame before they will play a wargame.

Right now, most of my time is spent either kicking butt play my Warlock Zoo deck (I win 4 out of 5 games at Rank 16), or I'm playing a tower defense type game of some sort on a tablet. But I love gem games too.

And my local buddy that I play Battle Academy with is likely not too happy with me. I have seriously trashed him bad in 3 maps so far. And in two of them, it almost seems like fate hates him.

But I have never ever once played another woman a wargame. Oh well.

I don't know any girl that isn't a gamer though. And I know of a lot of female role gamers. But, I have yet to meet any women that want to play table top miniatures.
Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Never mind, I was typing Eric Rutins with a "c" on the end instead of Erik Rutins with a "k" in the "find a member" list. My bad. [:o]
wodin

Post by wodin »

MrsWargamer you should PM DSWargamer..though her last post was 4 days before you joined. Still she may still be around.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer

How many of you boys enjoy cross stitching? Just curious :)

There's nothing at all wrong with the way our wargames are made.

But, a person has to want to play a wargame before they will play a wargame.

Right now, most of my time is spent either kicking butt play my Warlock Zoo deck (I win 4 out of 5 games at Rank 16), or I'm playing a tower defense type game of some sort on a tablet. But I love gem games too.

And my local buddy that I play Battle Academy with is likely not too happy with me. I have seriously trashed him bad in 3 maps so far. And in two of them, it almost seems like fate hates him.

I don't know any girl that isn't a gamer though. And I know of a lot of female role gamers. But, I have yet to meet any women that want to play table top miniatures.

Do you play The Sims too? [:D]
danlongman

Post by danlongman »

My daughter complains a lot about the dinosaurs and neckbeards found in the male gaming community.
She has been playing computer games of every sort since she stopped drooling on the keyboard and
is in her mid 20's now. She regularly complains of the attitude displayed by certain of her male
playmates and from what I have seen of it she has some justification. I never thought much of the values
of certain gamers and do what I can to stay out of the "dinosaur" category. They abound in certain areas
where PreCambrian conservative thinking is dominant.
"Patriotism: Your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
rhondabrwn

Post by rhondabrwn »

ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer

I could help you out there, but it would have to be PBEM unless you live in NE Arizona :)

Maybe a fast game of WiTP:AE? Somebody above wanted to see that [;)]

Joking! Joking! I meant a slow game at Newbie levels [:D]

Seriously... I'm very good at the HPS ACW games, especially Campaign Gettysburg, and they have a miniatures feel to them.

Any of you guys interested? I already managed to help break up one marriage so I'll be totally non-threatening and not display the 67 year old sex kitten that hides within my psyche. Honest!
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

I tried to teach my lady. but wargames didn 't take. Now something like Cinemaware's Three Stooges she loved.

She loves chess. But she never beats me.

Sometimes it just gets cold on that couch......
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 »

rhondabrwn... You had me at "Far Dareis Mai" [:D]
Really just wanted to comment on my own youngest twenty-something daughter", who has played online and console games for years (Gauntlet, Kingdom Hearts, Magic), first with her older brothers, then with her boyfriends, and now with her hubby! Tried to get her to play SP:WAW several years ago without any luck though. Maybe in the next generation there will be more ladies who will enjoy wargames! [8D]
JRR
radic202

Post by radic202 »

I still find that the 52% for female players is way too high. I have run a Guild in MMOs for almost 16 years an our rate was less then 10% and most of the time they were the spouses of our male players hence why they were playing. If they are adding casuals games to the list then maybe just maybe but still after playing computer games since right after my first sprout of hair on under my nose on my old Commodore 64 then my old XT computer and i am 51 now, I have never seen women form that high of a percentage of all gamers.

On that subject though I have so much respect for rhondabrwn who posts here often and adds such great input into this community, I sometimes secretly wish I was married to her as I would have a partner in gaming, the closest my wife ever came to gaming is playing around with that stupid auto-correct on her cell phone.......yep she can spend hours cursing at it just like I do playing Wasteland2 or any other RPG......
It is much harder to think about doing something than actually doing it!
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

There were a lot of girls that played Everquest when it was in its heydey, and yet the players were still dominated by males and males playing females in game. But, I know there were several girls because I went to one real life get together and there were several girls there that told me their characters' in game name.

I'd imagine World of Warcraft is the same. Actually I was in a guild there that used mumble and unless some of them were guys playing at trying to be females, there were women based on their voices.

As for wargames, I'm sure the percentage drops precipitously.
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
rhondabrwn

Post by rhondabrwn »

Awwwww... <blushing> [:)]

And how I wish I had found an intelligent, wargaming husband instead of the loser I married (because he pursued me so persistently).

I had some success in getting my sons into gaming but they were mostly into sports rather than indoor pursuits. My older son has developed a greater mid-life interest, but he is into games like the Total War series rather than the pure wargames we are so fascinated with.

My daughter was only interested in science and various social causes. If they weren't in Guam, I'd probably have her husband playing games (former Navy Seal and now Conservation Officer / SWAT team member).
ORIGINAL: radic202

On that subject though I have so much respect for rhondabrwn who posts here often and adds such great input into this community, I sometimes secretly wish I was married to her as I would have a partner in gaming, the closest my wife ever came to gaming is playing around with that stupid auto-correct on her cell phone.......yep she can spend hours cursing at it just like I do playing Wasteland2 or any other RPG......
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

My little cruisers are not interested in war games in the slightest. They both play on the Wii, and my youngest is scarily good at things like Mario Kart, but as I say, neither has shown the slightest inclination to get involved in dad's games. The closest I got was Civ IV (and Civ for their handheld Nintendo thingies) but that did not last. Oh well....
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

ORIGINAL: danlongman

My daughter complains a lot about the dinosaurs and neckbeards found in the male gaming community.
She has been playing computer games of every sort since she stopped drooling on the keyboard and
is in her mid 20's now. She regularly complains of the attitude displayed by certain of her male
playmates and from what I have seen of it she has some justification. I never thought much of the values
of certain gamers and do what I can to stay out of the "dinosaur" category. They abound in certain areas

Hehe. I never heard the term neckbeards before and did a google search. Very apt name. Lol

I've been lucky enough to never witness such disrespect towards a female gamer and it is probably do to my conservative upbringing and environment that would not allow me to sit quietly and listen to such tripe. I don't ever remember disrespecting a woman merely because she was a woman in my life save for my mother at a young age. That gets straightened out very quickly. I'm curious about these conservative gaming areas where this thinking is dominant. Maybe you could post a link to just a few of them? I'd have to guess that anyone participating in that nasty behavior is probably some adolescent that has never aligned to any kind of political ideology and only some little smartass hiding behind the computer anonymously.
**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

My wife looks at some of the games I play and will usually say oh, that's a pretty map or something like that. She thinks APOS has good graphics.

I did buy Papers Please and she played the heck out of it. She has managed an office for many years so she excelled at the game catching clerical errors quickly where as I became overwhelmed. I shelved it and she played it quite a bit after that. Of course her hogging the computer was a source of contention and I wished they would release it for iOS. Thankfully she tired of it and I regained control. Her idea of game playing digitally now is farm heroes saga on her phone. Not my cup of tea but whatever.
**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: danlongman

What is a "dinosaur" and a "neckbeard"? And if she is in her mid 20's, then I would assume they are not "playmates". They are probably potential "mates", just take the word "play" off the front and maybe you will understand your daughter a little better. Unless you want your daughter to grow up an "old maid" (to speak colloquially). But I'm not an expert on women, I'm a bit of an expert on parents though (maybe).

And my question stands, what is a "dinosaur" is that a person who will become "extinct"? And is a "neckbeard" the vernacular opposite? I guess I'm not up on the latest pejorative terminology of the young.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Woah, Radic202,

You're getting a little too close to my Rhonda who turned me on to Doctors Without Borders (best donation I have ever made in my life BTW). I may get jealous and have an existential hissy fit... [:D]

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn

Awwwww... <blushing> [:)]

And how I wish I had found an intelligent, wargaming husband instead of the loser I married (because he pursued me so persistently).

I had some success in getting my sons into gaming but they were mostly into sports rather than indoor pursuits. My older son has developed a greater mid-life interest, but he is into games like the Total War series rather than the pure wargames we are so fascinated with.

My daughter was only interested in science and various social causes. If they weren't in Guam, I'd probably have her husband playing games (former Navy Seal and now Conservation Officer / SWAT team member).
ORIGINAL: radic202

MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

Rhonda, do you have any interest in Battle Academy. It's obviously something of an obsession of mine.

I won't mention Steel Panthers, because even though I loved to play it until post Win 98SE ruined the experience to some extent, the thing is, every time I have played it multi player, it's been a coin toss experience. One person usually picks an entirely wrong force and they get slaughtered (which by the way is my feelings on DYO in ASL). The Mega Campaigns are about the only thing I still spend effort on now (and they seem to have ruined the arty function somehow with recent OSs).

I try to stick to games with rapid turn speed as my health looks very dimly on sitting for longer than 30 minutes (watching movies at the theatre often wrecks me).

So many games I might play, so little time time to adequately get into some of them, and often they just miss something if not vs a human.

I've really become active with Hearthstone due to the fast speed of getting into and out of a match. Plus, it might be the first time I have seen a free to play game, where the free aspect was actually done correctly.

I think too many of my monster wargame purchases of the past 10 years have been the result of out of control nostalgia and me missing the late 70s.

My recent acquisition of the Android release of Russian Front from Hunted Cow was I think my last ditch attempt to find an honest to god wargame on a tablet, that was both easy to play, and yet looks like an actual board game wargame. I've been lately wondering if my obsession with even tablets might be just crazy tech envy though.

'Neckbeards' giggle :) In truth though, every young man I have ever witnessed that generally matched that description, and usually unfortunately the normally associated dress pattern, has never really been a sort of individual I find to be 'undesirable' in the view of a woman when it comes to their treatment of women. All of the persons I myself at least have encountered, that possessed undesirable traits, haven't really matched that description.

Games is games though. I think if you mash up the entire market, and then just crunch numbers, yeah, it might not be so odd that there are statistically more female gamers than male gamers. Even if some niches have almost none at all.

Like I alluded to earlier, there are a lot of things you won't find many men indulging. But men tend to not like some things. Gee I wonder why :)
Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.

Return to “General Discussion”