Surprising neutral minors

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Jaimainsoyyo

Surprising neutral minors

Post by Jaimainsoyyo »

Hi , in a global war we´ve detected something odd . Axis declared war to Greece and during that impulse naval units in Greece acted as usual , I can overrun during invasion, movement or paradrop, etc... but naval units in Crete acted as they weren´t surprised so they escaped from Heraklion to another base ( no overrun roll at all) . Is it a bug?. thanks in advance.
michaelbaldur

RE: Surprising neutral minors

Post by michaelbaldur »

ORIGINAL: jaimain

Hi , in a global war we´ve detected something odd . Axis declared war to Greece and during that impulse naval units in Greece acted as usual , I can overrun during invasion, movement or paradrop, etc... but naval units in Crete acted as they weren´t surprised so they escaped from Heraklion to another base ( no overrun roll at all) . Is it a bug?. thanks in advance.

you said axis Dow ??? .. but only the DOW axis major power surprise Greece. other Axis are simply at war with Greece ..

so if Germany DOW, Greece are not surprise BY Italian units
the wif rulebook is my bible

I work hard, not smart.

beta tester and Mwif expert

if you have questions or issues with the game, just contact me on Michaelbaldur1@gmail.com
Omnius

Interesting Info

Post by Omnius »

michaelbaldur,
I wasn't aware that only the country that declared war was eligible for the surprise status. Good to know this. Not too sure why this would be since the country just having had war declared on it should be surprised that turn regardless of attacker.

Omnius
michaelbaldur

RE: Interesting Info

Post by michaelbaldur »

ORIGINAL: Omnius

michaelbaldur,
I wasn't aware that only the country that declared war was eligible for the surprise status. Good to know this. Not too sure why this would be since the country just having had war declared on it should be surprised that turn regardless of attacker.

Omnius

they are surprised by the MP Dow. then they are aligned to somebody, then they are a war with all the counties the aligning major is at war with.
the wif rulebook is my bible

I work hard, not smart.

beta tester and Mwif expert

if you have questions or issues with the game, just contact me on Michaelbaldur1@gmail.com
Jaimainsoyyo

Post by Jaimainsoyyo »

ORIGINAL: michaelbaldur

you said axis Dow ??? .. but only the DOW axis major power surprise Greece. other Axis are simply at war with Greece ..

so if Germany DOW, Greece are not surprise BY Italian units

[&o]Thanks , now I understand what happened.
paulderynck

RE: Interesting Info

Post by paulderynck »

ORIGINAL: Omnius

michaelbaldur,

Omnius
Seems logical but the ruling arose due to gamey tactics where one axis power would DoW the minor and the other would get the benefit of also being at war with it, but not with having to risk a second US Entry roll. It all has to do with the wording on the US Entry Action chart where some DoWs cost one US Entry risk if done by both Italy and Germany on the same impulse while other DOWs can cost two.

So in many cases if you want the benefit of a surprise impulse with two powers, you need to risk two US Entry rolls.
Paul
Omnius

Good Explanation

Post by Omnius »

paulderynck,
An interesting explanation. Best not to allow gamey tactics, make players earn their victories honestly. I'll have to reread the US Entry rules regarding DOW's by one or more Axis powers.

Omnius
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

I have fixed this but you will not see the correction until version 1.2.2.x becomes available. This is part of the naval movement/combat bugs I have been working on this month.

---

September 21, 2014 - Corrected the calculation of surprise points for naval combat between a major power (M) and a minor country when the minor country is surprised by a DOW by M and aligned to a major power which is not at war with M. For example, Polish naval units that are overrun and then intercepted by Germany are aligned to Commonwealth, which is not at war with Germany during the first impulse of the game. Previously the code had been awarding zero surprise points to both sides.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

Return to “Tech Support”