Two questions - pathfinding and AI

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: MOD_Flashpoint

ZygfrydDeLowe

Two questions - pathfinding and AI

Post by ZygfrydDeLowe »

After playing two questions came to my mind recently:
1) Do I assume correctly, that path of the unit automatically changes, when a bridge is destroyed, and that unit's path lead through that bridge?

Because I noticed, that enemy forces changed the direction of their advance mid-turn, when I blew-up the bridge, and I'm pretty sure they didn't have a recon unit in place to see it. If that is the case I understand the logic behind it, but that makes ambushing, or leading enemy to your prepared kill-zone a little harder.

2) AI "leading" the assult with AA units. As in attached screenshot - there are AA units within a stack on the front of the attacks to both objectives. I know, that I stopped the spearhead with mines, so the AI shifted the rest of the forces to circumvent the obstacle, but I doubt any sane Buk or Tunguska battery commander would continue advance towards incoming fire in that case.
Attachments
ADleading.jpg
ADleading.jpg (817.57 KiB) Viewed 33 times
CapnDarwin

RE: Two questions - pathfinding and AI

Post by CapnDarwin »

The AI can and does replan its actions based on the threats detected and objectives. I will check with Rob tonight and see if a blown bridge that is undetected forces a pathing change.

Support units can at times get caught up front of a force if the lead line units get stopped or wiped out, but we have special AI code to keep them roughly centered in the force group. In the past they would keep going and get hammered. If they appear to be running over 1km beyond their units, please get us a save game to review the behavior.

Thanks.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC

Return to “Tech Support”