To Matrixgames/Slitherine.....

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

aaatoysandmore

To Matrixgames/Slitherine.....

Post by aaatoysandmore »

You should allow the ability to unregister games we've bought and registered so they can become available for sale as a used game.

This auto registration feature registered a game I did not really want to register until I had played it. I find I don't like the game and wish to sell it at a reduced price as a used game.

I did not know games would be automatically registered if one was logged into the forum until after this had already happened. It's not like you "advertised" this was going to happen all over the forums and store pages. At least I never saw anything about it until it was too late.
bairdlander2

RE: To Matrixgames/Slitherine.....

Post by bairdlander2 »

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

You should allow the ability to unregister games we've bought and registered so they can become available for sale as a used game.

This auto registration feature registered a game I did not really want to register until I had played it. I find I don't like the game and wish to sell it at a reduced price as a used game.

I did not know games would be automatically registered if one was logged into the forum until after this had already happened. It's not like you "advertised" this was going to happen all over the forums and store pages. At least I never saw anything about it until it was too late.
Looks like them Duke boys are trolling again[:D]

Attachments
tvpol.doh.jpg
tvpol.doh.jpg (35.3 KiB) Viewed 198 times
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: bairdlander

Bairdlander, [:-] Let's give aaatoys a chance.

I think aaatoys is a wargamer who is maybe reasonably frustrated over a purchase mistake. Not all of us are willing or able to shell out $50 or more for a new game, especially if we discover we don't like it as much as we had hoped. I too wish Matrix would do demos for all their games. My understanding is this is prohibitive in cost for them. But that doesn't remove from the fact that it is a little bit frustrating to buy a game and then realize it isn't what you thought it would be. In fact I think it is somewhat noble that aaatoys has offered to hold onto the sale and simply resell the game at a lower price to someone else in order to recover some of his cost. He doesn't seem to be complaining and wanting his money back.

With that said, aaatoys, I will say that it is usually a good idea before buying a game here to check out youtube to see if there are any demo videos of the game first. Also check AARs in the forums for the games very closely, especially ones with screen shots. I have learned the hard way on a couple games that they weren't for me. So "yes" you do have to be careful before purchasing. I do not recommend purchasing a game here unless you do a LOT of research first and check into it closer.

In your position I would email Matrix and see if any compromise can be arrived at. Learn to negotiate with your vendor based on a position of strength in integrity. Of course you may already know these things so I apologize if I am simply stating the obvious.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

a few reasons here for me i see,

steam doesn't let you sell a digitally downloaded game and sell your key on so why should these?

can't find any sites / makers / developers that do tbh either? but maybe wrong, it won't be the first or last time either tbh...

boxed version maybe? if key hasn't been used either online or registered etc then yes in theory it could be resold, if it has been used then no...

i haven't registered any game i've bought, and would only do so if i lost it and wanted to redownload, as i keep the purchase note etc, so never saw the need to register before either, as game updates without, and i don't play any online game of anything i own
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

It's not really that I can't sell it as all that is needed is to transfer the serial number. But, having it registered in the members list prevents the person I sell it to from future updates and downloads specifically in the members area.

Matrixgames/Slitherine has always really left an avenue to resell their games by simply just deleting it from your system and transfering the serial number, I don't have an issue with that. I just wanted the person who buys it to be able to have all the benefits of the game. This auto register just because one is logged into the forum I'm not really happy about.

So Zakblood you always buy your games here logged out of the forum? Do you have a "members" account? You may be registering your games and not even know it if you have a members account and you are logged in when you buy a game. That's how they got me on this game. I don't like autoregistering without the abilty to unregister at anytime later on.

I'm willing to trade PANDORA for MARK WALKERS HEROES of STALINGRAD if anyone wants to trade that isn't on my ignore list. [:'(]
gradenko2k

Post by gradenko2k »

One of the big reasons to adopt of digital methods of registering games (aside from piracy prevention), whether via the modest and minimal serial keys tied to an account, or the "extreme" case of Steam and the likes, or whatever it is you do with a PlayStation/XBox, is really to prevent the re-sale (and rental) of video games, because the publishers and the distributors never get to see another cent of that business.

I think what's really lacking here is the ability to 'gift' a game.

In your case I think Matrix might give you a pass on an individual basis, especially if they can tell that you never actually downloaded your installer, but I don't think any publisher would seriously consider allow trading games between their customers as a matter of course.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Hi aaatoys,

Sorry if I misunderstood. I was thinking you bought a game recently and maybe Matrix changed the requirements of registering where you couldn't even re-sell the game used later. I haven't bought a game very recently so it's good to know that Matrix is still very generous about DRM. I don't re-sell my games and I don't swap them. I guess I sort of collect them. I do that NOT because I don't want to give others who are less fortunate than me the opportunity to own and play one of these wonderful games but because if I do, that is one less person who will buy a game directly from Matrix itself. I also don't buy to "test drive" games. I do my research and make sure I will be happy with a game before I buy it. Not all games are my type of game. I actually do NOT own a great number of Matrix titles. I only own games that I personally like.

If you don't mind my saying, I think it is a little "overboard" to want to share "members area" privileges with those you resell your games to. But I guess that's just me. Maybe I'm just crazy and naïve.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: bairdlander

Bairdlander, the "Dukes of Hazzard" was a favorite show of mine when I was a teenager. I saw it when it originally aired on ABC (IIRC ABC was the station), however, I have since come to understand that the show is considered by many thinkers to be very "tribal" in its worldview. Now, that is not to say that there is anything wrong with tribalism in and of itself but I guess I'm not so tribal. I tend to be a little more cosmopolitan and open to outsiders because when I was growing up I was an outsider to my community. My personal belief is that people should not erect brick walls between themselves and others. That is a faith because I don't know with 100% certainty my way is the "best" way. So all I can do is be careful. My father instilled the value in me, "better safe than sorry". So I guess I have always been a cautious child. Now some people say that my father is a "redneck" but my father is my father and he will always be the "tallest tree in the forest" in my book.

With that said, anyone is welcome to make as many "American redneck" jokes about me as they wish. I'm pretty accustomed to being on the "margins" and have pretty "thick skin" as well as a "thick skull" sometimes. However, I can NOT guarantee that if you make redneck jokes toward others that they will NOT take offense.

Peace..
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

Hi aaatoys,

Sorry if I misunderstood. I was thinking you bought a game recently and maybe Matrix changed the requirements of registering where you couldn't even re-sell the game used later. I haven't bought a game very recently so it's good to know that Matrix is still very generous about DRM. I don't re-sell my games and I don't swap them. I guess I sort of collect them. I do that NOT because I don't want to give others who are less fortunate than me the opportunity to own and play one of these wonderful games but because if I do, that is one less person who will buy a game directly from Matrix itself. I also don't buy to "test drive" games. I do my research and make sure I will be happy with a game before I buy it. Not all games are my type of game. I actually do NOT own a great number of Matrix titles. I only own games that I personally like.

If you don't mind my saying, I think it is a little "overboard" to want to share "members area" privileges with those you resell your games to. But I guess that's just me. Maybe I'm just crazy and naïve.

Hi Gary,

It's not that I don't wan't to share my members account but there is that password attached to it and if I share it the person I share with could then lock me out of it and I wouldn't have access to my serial numbers or games to redownload if I ever needed to. Sharing is not the issue. Griefers is. You I'm pretty sure know in just about everything you do if there is a way to grief someone will come along and try it or do it. It's just the nature of the world.

I bought the game actually a few months back but only played a few turns and even though I looked at the You Play videos and listened to some reviewers I trusted, I just did not like the game. I'd rather have Mark Walkers Heroes of Stalingrad. I should stick to WWII instead of sci-fi I guess.

GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Hi aaatoys,

Hi Gary,

It's not that I don't wan't to share my members account but there is that password attached to it and if I share it the person I share with could then lock me out of it and I wouldn't have access to my serial numbers or games to redownload if I ever needed to. Sharing is not the issue. Griefers is. You I'm pretty sure know in just about everything you do if there is a way to grief someone will come along and try it or do it. It's just the nature of the world.

I bought the game actually a few months back but only played a few turns and even though I looked at the You Play videos and listened to some reviewers I trusted, I just did not like the game. I'd rather have Mark Walkers Heroes of Stalingrad. I should stick to WWII instead of sci-fi I guess.

Hi aaatoys,

I don't pretend to know what a "griefer" is in him or herself. I assume we can all be "givers" at certain times and "takers" at others. Knowing when a person is giving "too much" or taking "too much" is much more difficult because some of us tend to be creatures of habit. As far as the "members area". I don't even use it for much of anything so I guess I can't relate to whatever experience you are talking about. As I say I don't re-sell games. this practice is out of consideration for Matrix. I don't know if it's their "policy" for me to not do so or not. I do know that it hurts their business. I agree with your desire to "own" what we "buy". I guess there are different business philosophies out there.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Hi aaatoys,

Hi Gary,

Hi aaatoys,

I don't pretend to know what a "griefer" is in him or herself. I assume we can all be "givers" at certain times and "takers" at others. Knowing when a person is giving "too much" or taking "too much" is much more difficult because some of us tend to be creatures of habit. As far as the "members area". I don't even use it for much of anything so I guess I can't relate to whatever experience you are talking about. As I say I don't re-sell games. this practice is out of consideration for Matrix. I don't know if it's their "policy" for me to not do so or not. I do know that it hurts their business. I agree with your desire to "own" what we "buy". I guess there are different business philosophies out there.

I have actually seen them tell people how to do it when selling or transfering one of their games. I think they are sort of leinent on the subject and do not loudly object to it for most or some cases. I've never seen them repremand anyone for trying to sell their games, but just remind them to delete the game from their harddrive before they transfer it and the serial number. What they do look for that I know of is duplicate serial numbers or several of the same (probably when updates and patches are made) As that shows (duplicate serial numbers) that someone didn't delete the game they sold thus being dishonest. I've even had them refund me on another game I didn't like and all they told me to do was just delete it and they sent me my money back. They are very helpful and will work with you in every way they can. I'm just not sure in this case they can. I'll just have to explain to whoever trades or buys it from me understands they can't get members updates and redownload ability. If they need a redownload I'll have to do that for them. But, I asure you I will only download and send it to them. I would not download for myself after the sale. I'm more than happy to pay for what I get, I just tend to wait until I can get the best deal I can. [:)]
t001001001

Post by t001001001 »

zakblood

Post by zakblood »

ORIGINAL: t001001001

i also agree with above[:D]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
SuluSea

Post by SuluSea »

I feel this is a fair question. The games here are very good and priced higher than most
publishers. I paid through the nose for Command Ops Battle of the Bulge, no refection on the quality of the game but it wasn't my cup
of tea. I was glad I could get rid of it.

Under the new system it would have been a tougher sell.
"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer

Return to “General Discussion”