Hunted Cow's Russian Front Game

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Noypi53

Hunted Cow's Russian Front Game

Post by Noypi53 »

Hi!

Has anyone tried Hunted Cow's game titled Russian Front? I saw the announcement in the Wargamer site & took a look at Hunted Cow's site. It seems to be a beer-&-pretzel type game which reminds me of Avalon Hill's "The Russian Campaign".
zakblood

RE: Hunted Cow's Russian Front Game

Post by zakblood »

nope, but looking now just incase, ty for sharing the info[&o]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

ORIGINAL: Noypi53
It seems to be a beer-&-pretzel type game which reminds me of Avalon Hill's "The Russian Campaign".

Yeah, it's soooop hard to believe we could have fun with a game like that. I'm waiting to check out the iPad version when it comes out in a couple of weeks. I'm hoping it's just as fun. And maybe more operational level games to come from Hunted Cow, now merged with Decision Games. [8D]
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

I am willing to claim this game just raised the bar on tablet wargames.

9 bucks makes it certainly not free. But, I just gave it a spin and it runs fine on my Nexus 7 so it is not as demanding a program as some are starting to be these days.

Inasmuch as comparisons go. It 'looks' more like a wargame than does Small General Eastern Front. It has a much nicer interface than does Conflicts series from Joni Nuutinen. And it sure is easier to actually 'use' the game then any of John Tiller's microscopically small graphics titles requires.

It actually DOES look like some of the board games I have played. Units seem to be where we have learned them to be over the years.

I gave the opening attack to the Axis in 41 for Barbarossa, and it didn't seem to be playing tooooo stupidly (and everyone knows how I hate to give the AI much credit for anything).

I am not saying this will be better than say Panzer Corps in a head to head contest for top spot. And I likely would rather play Battle Academy if I could. But, those two games are NOT on Android eh, so if you don't own an iPad, this wargame might be your top choice at the moment.

Kudos to the OP for mentioning it, as I might not have seen this for a while.
Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.
wodin

Post by wodin »

Hunted Cow? One day they might develop a wargame with some substance. A shame Decision Games went with these to convert their games. As they have I expect we will only get Tablet versions. One I can't afford a Tablet and two I find wargames are hard enough on a 24inch screen let alone a 10 inch.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Imagine Squad Leader on Tablets though Wodin. [:)] I'd go out and buy a tablet tomorrow if it came out on a Tablet.
wodin

Post by wodin »

Hmmm...suppose I have two kidneys..
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

My tablet won't do it, but today's tablets can talk to your TV. If screen size is a barrier.

The thing is of course, if you can look at a TV odds are you are in the room where the PC is and thus why not just use that :)

Either way, as games go, this is a major step forward in the calibre of games on tablets.
Noypi53

Post by Noypi53 »

Thanks for the inputs/comments. BTW, the game is also available for PC & Mac.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Bought the game for PC, and so far it's excellent. Better than Germany at War. Did they drop the price of GaW? I could swear I paid $30-$40 and not $20 for it.

Well, this game is $10 and plays like a mixture of Wasteland's games, Unity of Command and SC2. No Nato icons but looks a lot better than GaW. Max resolution is 1680x1050. Features unit retreats and advances, zoc's, reinforcements, terrain effects, replacements, supply, winter turns, 4 scenarios of 16 turns each. And the 108 turn campaign game, which can be started in 1941, 1942, etc. You can play either side, of course.

Most innovative - in fact I can't think of a wargame that has it - is sudden death loss based on a timeline. No more slogging through 108 turns to get the win. If you or the enemy lose too many cities at any point in the game, sudden death. Also, if you're too slow off the mark during Case Blau, for example, (Soviets hold XXX more cities than historical) you risk a loss.

Units stats, city values, reinforcements are all text moddable. AI turn resolution is brisk, but haven't played enough to gauge the AI. There are 3 difficulty levels. All this in a mobile app. Could be the first East Front game I'll actually be able to finish. It's just nice to be pleasantly surprised for a change instead of feeling ripped off by a $30+ game.

https://www.huntedcow.com/game/russian-front

GenSlack

Post by GenSlack »

That's odd that it works for your Nexus 7 but Google Play says it's incompatible with my Nexus 10.
ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer

9 bucks makes it certainly not free. But, I just gave it a spin and it runs fine on my Nexus 7 so it is not as demanding a program as some are starting to be these days.

Inasmuch as comparisons go. It 'looks' more like a wargame than does Small General Eastern Front. It has a much nicer interface than does Conflicts series from Joni Nuutinen. And it sure is easier to actually 'use' the game then any of John Tiller's microscopically small graphics titles requires.

It actually DOES look like some of the board games I have played. Units seem to be where we have learned them to be over the years.

I gave the opening attack to the Axis in 41 for Barbarossa, and it didn't seem to be playing tooooo stupidly (and everyone knows how I hate to give the AI much credit for anything).

I am not saying this will be better than say Panzer Corps in a head to head contest for top spot. And I likely would rather play Battle Academy if I could. But, those two games are NOT on Android eh, so if you don't own an iPad, this wargame might be your top choice at the moment.

pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

ORIGINAL: rosseau
Most innovative - in fact I can't think of a wargame that has it - is sudden death loss based on a timeline.

Not at all, AH's The Russian Campaign and Russian Front boardgames had this. Basically, do better than history and win, or do worse and lose. For a wargame victory condition, this works fine. It's just a game. What's more surprising is that WITE chose not to have this, even as an option, although they have added some sudden death conditions but not variable on a timeline. It's refreshing to see this newcomer game take a better approach.

Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

ORIGINAL: Drew Wagenhoffer

That's odd that it works for your Nexus 7 but Google Play says it's incompatible with my Nexus 10.
ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer

Yes when I bought it my first reaction was play it immediately within the 15 minute refund period, because my earlier 10 inch tablet was not able to run Road to Moscow, and my Nexus 7 isn't the current release so I was concerned. This game looked like it might be at least a bit demanding at the graphics level, but perhaps it isn't.

Either way, the game looks to be the most wargame looking wargame I have yet to see appear on Android, and NOT suffer from an interface that looks clearly like it never had a tablet in mind or is just not 'ideal'.
I've got several of Tillers releases, but frankly, he has chosen the cop out route if you ask me. Porting his games with barely any apparent interest in making them 'playable' from a dexterity point of view, was no real favour for the wargamer. Try playing one of his games while sitting in a car or on a bus for instance :) Good luck actually selecting the incredible small target images while not absolutely still :) They have all of what a wargamer wants under the hood, but it would have been nicer if he had simply made new titles, and made them with LARGER graphics!! :)

Return to “General Discussion”