noob questions re: interface and unit composition

Advanced Tactics is a versatile turn-based strategy system that gives gamers the chance to wage almost any battle in any time period. The initial release focuses on World War II and includes a number of historical scenarios as well as a full editor! This forum supports both the original Advanced Tactics and the new and improved Advanced Tactics: Gold Edition.

Moderator: Vic

Jeffrey H.

RE: noob questions re: interface and unit composition

Post by Jeffrey H. »

ORIGINAL: Whydmer

Has anyone ever put into practice creating sort of a R&R headquarters where you could pull experienced troops out of decimated/damaged front line units, allowed them a turn or so to fully recover their readiness and then reassign them to existing experienced units? I have thought about this but never actively tried it.

I tend to do this after a major battle is over and depleted but experienced units need to be consoldiated into a more complete functional unit.

Oddly enough, for me it's one of the more fun elements of the game.
History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
Josh

Post by Josh »

I agree Jeffrey, taking care of your units is almost a game in itself. Creating and taking care of 70+ or 80+ troops is a blast.
nicodede62

Post by nicodede62 »

ORIGINAL: Vic

This is actually the next big thing I am considering to add to ATG :)

Best wishes,
Vic

It's really a great news [:)].
- Pour l'Empereur -
Kaldadarnes

Post by Kaldadarnes »

ORIGINAL: Vic
ORIGINAL: Philo32b

I would love to see a template that you can assign for a unit composition, like what you describe above, which then gets summarized at the start of each turn ("To reinforce all your divisions' compositions you will need to assign production for 78 infantry, 12 light tanks...") and then automatically replenished if sufficient resources are produced.

This is actually the next big thing I am considering to add to ATG :)

Best wishes,
Vic

WOOP WOOP!

This would be brilliant, one of the greatest strengths of ATG is the way you can customise units, one of the greatest weaknesses is the method by which you do it! Seriously, of all possible improvements this is the one, along with stack move, that would make the greatest difference to me as I would be able to spend so much more time playing and making decisions rather than reinforcing and moving.

Keep us posted Vic

Cheers

K
Omnia Videmus
Strategiusz

Post by Strategiusz »

I have an idea for ATG or ATG2.
1. Click a HQ unit.
2. Click the new button "create a new formation under this HQ".
3. Click a hex on the map.
4. Click OK. (and this is even redundant, because you don't loose nothing if you missclick, because you can immediately sell empty formation and regain PP).
And now the game is automatically switching to the transfer panel (the HQ --> the new empty unit). Only 4 or 3 clicks or key taps.

The current way is:
1. Click on a hex.
2. Click on the "new unit" button.
3. Click on a formation/HQ/HQ+officer button.
4. Select HQ for the new unit.
5. Click OK.
6. Click again on the HQ unit.
7. Click the transfer button.
8. Click on the new unit
And now you are in the transfer (the HQ --> the new empty unit) panel.
Josh

Post by Josh »

ORIGINAL: Madlok

I have an idea for ATG or ATG2.
1. Click a HQ unit.
2. Click the new button "create a new formation under this HQ".
3. Click a hex on the map.
4. Click OK. (and this is even redundant, because you don't loose nothing if you missclick, because you can immediately sell empty formation and regain PP).
And now the game is automatically switching to the transfer panel (the HQ --> the new empty unit). Only 4 or 3 clicks or key taps.

The current way is:
1. Click on a hex.
2. Click on the "new unit" button.
3. Click on a formation/HQ/HQ+officer button.
4. Select HQ for the new unit.
5. Click OK.
6. Click again on the HQ unit.
7. Click the transfer button.
8. Click on the new unit
And now you are in the transfer (the HQ --> the new empty unit) panel.

Agreed.

I have been thinking about this too. Makes sense because looong time ago there were only a few unit types, but now there are so many that *mouseclicking* has become/can become somewhat of a burden.
The way unittransfer is done now very basic, it feels like it came from DOS, and it looks like a calculator.

So the userinterface concerning troops transfer or unit creation should be more streamlined. So yeah instead of much mouse clicking old style, a new window with the HQ (or multiple HQ's) and the new unit should appear.
Or something along that line anyway.

Same with the OOB for an HQ, a right click on that HQ should suffice. Or maybe even a separate tab on the right hand where the OOB and production for an HQ could be displayed.

Oh well just some loose thoughts.

Return to “Advanced Tactics Series”