Patch 1.9.5.8 is now available

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Surtur

Post by Surtur »

The most detailed 4X title gets another major update! As of today patch 1.9.5.8 is available for download through all major channels. This update adds new customization features for ship designs and also further increases the modability of the AI, giving you more control than ever over your copy of Distant Worlds, allowing you to tailor the game to your liking. Other changes includes new AI tweaks, and weapon balances.

If you own the Steam version of Distant Worlds: Universe, you patch will be applied automatically when it is available. All other users can run the updater tool on their launcher or download the patch manually here.

Click here to find out more about Distant Worlds: Universe.

New in V1.9.5.8

CRASH FIXES
- fixed rare crash when detect pirate smuggler docking at base
- fixed rare crash when ships in combat

BUG FIXES
- fixed bug where race-specific diplomacy mood music was not working in a theme

SHIP DESIGN
- AI ship design process now automatically adds extra energy collector components to match static energy requirements of design (similar to the way reactors are added)
- AI ship design now increases size of Carrier designs (beyond default design template) when construction size allows (like Capital Ships already did)
- added medium and large freighter designs to AI ship design shrinking process (attempt to fit within current maximum construction size)
- fighter firepower now listed in ship design detail screen (Weapons panel), to allow better comparison of military designs (firepower and fighters listed separately)

MODDING
- now optionally allow setting battle tactics, invasion tactics and fleeWhen settings for designs in design template files. To do this, for any design template file for any race, use the following entries (Entry name with possible values after the colon):
o TacticsWeaker: Evade, Standoff, AllWeapons, PointBlank
o TacticsStronger: Evade, Standoff, AllWeapons, PointBlank
o TacticsInvasion: DoNotInvade, InvadeWhenClear, InvadeImmediately
o FleeWhen: EnemyMilitarySighted, Attacked, Shields50, Shields20, Never

OTHER
- increased hold-off range for tractor beams on spaceports against enemy troop transports (i.e. prevent colony invasions)
- increased the maximum per-resource cargo space at spaceports and other bases from 30000 to 120000
- ship decision whether to use tractor beams to pull or push a target now uses optimal attack ranges defined by battle tactics, e.g. when set to Point Blank then will pull within close range, when set to Evade will always push. Spaceports defending a colony will push when enemy troop transport gets too close in an attempt to prevent them from dropping invading troops at the colony
- idle automated AI fleets and troop transports will now unload troops at colonies that have pirate facilities but insufficient troops to clear them

Tanaka

RE: Patch 1.9.5.8 is now available

Post by Tanaka »

Was this fixed in the beta?

ORIGINAL: Icemania
ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
Spaceports defending a colony will push when enemy troop transport gets too close in an attempt to prevent them from dropping invading troops at the colony
I've tested Spaceport tractor beams (with no other tactics set) by attacking with troop transports only and observed:

(a) Once in range of the tractor beam of the Spaceport pulls in the troop transports ... helping the invasion!
(b) Once the troop transport is extremely close then the tractor beam stops pulling but does not push away
(c) In a surprise attack (no relationship diplomatic situation) the tractor beams did not activate at all until after the troop transport had already landed troops

Spaceport tractor beams should push away, not hold, as soon as a troop transport is in range. This should apply for all diplomatic relationships except for a Mutual Defence Pact (where there should be a massive diplomatic penalty for a surprise attack).

Chet Guiles

Post by Chet Guiles »

When I went through the updater on the launcher, it told me it was installing 1.9.5.7 so I stopped it and did a manual download and install of 1.9.5.8. Not sure what caused that, but I had already loaded 1.9.5.8-Beta and just wanted to update to the official patch in case any other changes had been made.

The manual download worked fine.

Thanks.
Demonius

Post by Demonius »

Yeah the patcher does not seem to be enabled for 1.9.5.8 yet.
Icemania

Post by Icemania »

Distant Worlds Universe patching efforts have clearly slowed down over the last month or so. What is the plan from here on? There are some material items including bugs in the AI Improvement Mod Wishlist that you may want to consider.
lurchi

Post by lurchi »

There also are some important requests on the Research Reloaded Wishlist. It would be great if you could take another look at it.
Icemania

Post by Icemania »

ORIGINAL: lurchi
There also are some important requests on the Research Reloaded Wishlist. It would be great if you could take another look at it.
Fully agree!
fruitgnome

Post by fruitgnome »

Agree (two last posts).
Chet Guiles

Post by Chet Guiles »

As of yesterday when I try to update through the main screen I still get sent to 1.9.5.7! Fellow Universers, get your 1.9.5.8 upgrade manually!
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the relative silence on our side.

Universe support is continuing but has indeed slowed down. We're expecting to do an update per month for the foreseeable future rather than the update per week or every other week pace that we've been on. This will allow us to work on future development as well.

So there will be another update coming in October, another in November, another in December, etc.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
lurchi

Post by lurchi »

Great to hear there's more to look forward to. [:)]
So, is the next update going to fix the really annoying component #256 bug? Will there be more modding features or just bugfixes in the future?
Cauldyth

Post by Cauldyth »

This will allow us to work on future development as well.

Mmmm, future development. [;)]
Icemania

Post by Icemania »

This will allow us to work on future development as well.
Distant Worlds 2 I hope! While it's probably too early, posting the odd interesting topic to discuss on the forums, where some constructive community input would be worthwhile, would always be welcome. Amplitude do this really well.
Shogouki

Post by Shogouki »

Yeah I would really love to see the wishlist items that Ice and Lurchi have requested get added if possible. Those mods being completed is what I am looking forward to the most!
NephilimNexus

Post by NephilimNexus »

Not one fix for any of the pirate bugs.

[>:]
rxnnxs

Post by rxnnxs »

Thanks for the patching and please listen to the modders and give them all they need. let DW1 be a raw diamond that can be modded as good as possible. just give all the tools that are needed to do so.
do not go further without finishing the predecessor. and still it is the one and only.

and never forget that the game that comes after this has to be cared for for ages to come. so please invest month and years into this good old horse.

if there are going to be some credit shortages - please let us know. whatever you do, do not halt patching and creating modder support and stopping making the new product better but instead throwing something on the market that is not ready yet.

wait until it is better than DW right from the start. and do not let it just be better grafical wise. because that you can give a sh** about. make a HEX game. but put even more spirit and life in it.
ah sorry, i wish you a good hand in it and let it shine!
HTG

Post by HTG »

Why are there no updates/bug-fixes for DW Shadow any more?
I am stuck at patch 19013 with lots of problems still in the game. [&:]

Yes, i considered upgrading to Universe, but without a possibility to get some discount for having all 4 previous games I am not going to buy Universe for a the full price only to get some new features and continue to get bug-fixes. (Discount was time limited until end of August [:@])
Anyway, I think that older versions should always get bug-fixes even after a new upgrade has been released.
rxnnxs

Post by rxnnxs »

Anyway, I think that older versions should always get bug-fixes even after a new upgrade has been released.
I thought about not buying the universe "patch" before i am not sure if this "problem" you address would be solved for sure.
i just thought that others have to insist on that. now you say something that i never tested because i do not have the time for it.
but i really am your opinion that this has to be patched also for all the old versions. all bugs have to be fixed for all old versions.
this is really a must.
PsyKoSnake

Post by PsyKoSnake »

ORIGINAL: rxnnxs
I thought about not buying the universe "patch" before i am not sure if this "problem" you address would be solved for sure.
i just thought that others have to insist on that. now you say something that i never tested because i do not have the time for it.
but i really am your opinion that this has to be patched also for all the old versions. all bugs have to be fixed for all old versions.
this is really a must.

Not my opinion. The game is working. So you can play shadow. Yes there will be some crash, and some other problem, but the game is working better than 90% of the other game on the market. I played shadow wiithout any major problem.

You buy Universe, you get more bug fixed and more content. Would not go back to older version without AI Improvement mod.
DhulKarnain

Post by DhulKarnain »

It seems that a number of popular anti-virus applications (namely, Bitdefender and others who license the BD engine and its definitions) are falsely flagging this update as being malicious, generic trojan, etc.

Just upload the installed game binary DistantWorlds.exe or the update setup file DistantWorldsUniverse-Update1958.exe to Virustotal and you'll see the results (since I apparently can't link to them directly or post their MD5 hashes on this forum).

Seeing how Bitdefender and various AVs that license its engine make up a significant portion of the AV market, it would be wise to contact them and sort this out. I've already reported a false positive with my particular AV vendor (Emsisoft) but I've yet to hear back from them.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”