64 bit DW II for Extra large maps?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Larsenex

64 bit DW II for Extra large maps?

Post by Larsenex »

One can dream. I enjoy the maps right now. Am I correct that if the game was compiled in 64bit we could mod REALLY HUMONGOUS maps that would take HOURS to traverse with Torrent Drive III?

Now that would be cool!

I am NO coder, how hard would it to rebuild the entire game from the ground up in 64 bit?
Go for the Eyes Boo!

Intel 8700K Oc'd to 4.8ghz
32 gigs ram
GTX 1070 w/ 6gigs ram.
Using a cache drive from intel with a 60gig flash & 1 terrabyt hd accelerated.
2guncohen

RE: 64 bit DW II for Extra large maps?

Post by 2guncohen »

[:D] and multiplayer !!!!
Larsenex

Post by Larsenex »

Secretly Icemania is over on the steam forums formulating a plan to mod DW into a 64bit DX 11 multiplayer platform......

I have uncovered his plot.
Go for the Eyes Boo!

32 gigs ram
GTX 1070 w/ 6gigs ram.
WiZz

Post by WiZz »

MP is nearly impossible, if DW doesn't change realtime mode (which unacceptable for me).
johanwanderer

Post by johanwanderer »

Play by mail?
Nanaki

Post by Nanaki »

ORIGINAL: 2guncohen

Hate to say it, but multiplayer in a 4X terrifies me. It usually results in gameplay and core mechanics changes that end up worsening the game, and multiplayer never meshed well with 4X to begin with.

I would rather Distant Worlds II remain singleplayer, and the resources be put towards improving the core gameplay.
I ate the batter of the bulge at Hans' Haus of Luftwaffles
2guncohen

Post by 2guncohen »

ORIGINAL: Nanaki

ORIGINAL: 2guncohen

Hate to say it, but multiplayer in a 4X terrifies me. It usually results in gameplay and core mechanics changes that end up worsening the game, and multiplayer never meshed well with 4X to begin with.

I would rather Distant Worlds II remain singleplayer, and the resources be put towards improving the core gameplay.

Well to be honest I dislike most massive on-line games.
But What I understand as a multi-play game is more the old fashion way just some friend who waste a weekend playing.
I have also the opinion that the next expansion stays single player.

To go further I'm also not a big fan to go full-3d with this game look at 'Sword of the Stars II' ...
Im still waiting till I can play that game properly ...

On the other hand a kick-starter campaign could boost the funds to release a future game that the dev's really want.
And the fans would love.

Larsenex

Post by Larsenex »

Leave the game 2d as it is. Sharpen and 'pretty up' the ships a bit, add brighter 'leap at you colors'. Increase memory allowance to 64bit, optimize for multi threads up to but not restrained at 12, and spend (15,000) Erik Rutin-man hours increasing the AI logic, simple.

....see? Its easy when you look at it on paper~!
Go for the Eyes Boo!

32 gigs ram
GTX 1070 w/ 6gigs ram.
feygan

Post by feygan »

Honestly I see little point in using the extra abilities of 64bit just to make a huge galaxy. That can be simulated perfectly already with careful tweaking of hyperspace speed, simply adding more to the edge of the map will not always add value to the map.

That said 64bit could be used for many other things that would add extra dimensions to the game. Instead of simply having bigger maps have maps with more inside them and more going on at once. Varying grades of ship roles that take on specific functions, expanded character groups with set roles and interactions, enhancing the way planets work and what can be done with them. You only need to look towards a game like Aurora to see how much depth can be added to DW before adding size.
Canaris_PL

Post by Canaris_PL »

I would kill to be able to play this game on a map with 3000 stars and 30 by 30 sectors :(
And with some Honorverse like wormholes that can be major asset in war :)
Out of the way Xeno scum, Humanity coming through !!!!!

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”