wierd paths unit is taking and other issues to follow

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderators: Arjuna, Panther Paul

Frostwave

wierd paths unit is taking and other issues to follow

Post by Frostwave »

I assigned an attack order and the 51st armoured infantry bn HQ is taking the longest route possible not sure why any insight would be appreciated thanks in advance. not sure how to upload saved game files sorry total noob

Attachments
wierdmoveorders.jpg
wierdmoveorders.jpg (592.46 KiB) Viewed 262 times
"I hope so for your sake, Commander.
The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am."
Phoenix100

RE: wierd paths unit is taking and other issues to follow

Post by Phoenix100 »

Are you on .279? Just wondering. I wonder also which attack options you have selected? The HQ looks to have planned a safe or covered route to the fup. Did you select 'shortest' or 'quickest' instead?
Frostwave

Post by Frostwave »

Yes I'm using the latest beta patch, the route is set to unspecified, didn't choose one when setting up attack. I think your right though about it choosing safest path.

In same scenario I had a lot of attack orders cancelling and changing to move orders unfortunately didn't have any save files recorded at the time, what are common reasons for the ai to cancel an attack and change to a move order. Thnx again.
"I hope so for your sake, Commander.
The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am."
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

I think there were quite recent changes to make sure HQs didn't expose themselves. I think where your FUP is to be near the enemy and exposed (as this one definitely is - at the very least the presence of that enemy 1.27 unit on the way in will have worried the AI planner, I think)) then you could try picking 'shortest' and directly specifying the route to the fup with a couple of waypoints. That might solve it. But the planner might be giving you a hint you shouldn't ignore. If your formation has to move up that exposed hillside to that exposed FUP in daylight then I could see your attack running into difficulties before you even get to the FUP because the columns are going to come under fire as soon as they start, no? And they will be in a vulnerable configuration (probably just marching along the road or heath, not combat ready) until they get to the FUP and form up. It might work, but not to the schedule you wanted. What would happen in real life (I imagine) is what will happen in the game - they will line up, set off, and come under fire from the woods. The enemy unit might even call in a barrage. Either way, your columns will spill out chaotically, in chaos, take cover and decide how to deal with the threat. Various messages will be sent back and forth and you will no doubt be informed that the planned attack has slipped. Fire will be returned and your units will be pinned, an unplanned contact will absorb your plan. Eventually, in a couple of more hours, darkness will come, and your units will sneak off to their FUP and if you have given a long enough attack start time (and not just left in the default) then the attack might go in late. You might have been quicker resting those units right on the fup already for an hour, then getting them to put the attack in, whilst ordering the others to deal with the enemy in the woods? Or, before you plan your attack bombard the enemy covering the ingress to the FUP, to shift them back. Just some thoughts, guesses really.
dazkaz15

Post by dazkaz15 »

ORIGINAL: PokerWolf

I assigned an attack order and the 51st armoured infantry bn HQ is taking the longest route possible not sure why any insight would be appreciated thanks in advance. not sure how to upload saved game files sorry total noob

Like Peter has already mentioned, I think in this instance the AI has done you a big favour, and given a big hint, by choosing the longer route.

You could have selected the quickest route for the order to the FUP, and that would have taken your men North, directly up the road, but probably into the arcs of fire, of the units on the east side of the road.
If you had chosen the shortest route it would have taken you in a direct line up the hill possibly exposing you to fire from the troops being pushed out of Lomersweler, but even if they couldn't engage your men with direct fire, they would certainly have been able to observe your movements, and bring down artillery, and mortar fire.

The default route the AI has chosen looks like an avoidance route, that is keeping your men away from areas of enemy fire influence.
The trouble with this is the route it has chosen has not been scouted, and may contain as yet unseen enemy.

Your biggest mistake in MHO is the positioning of your FUP.
It is right on top of the exposed hill in full view of the enemy.
In the example you provided above I would personally go with the AI selected route, but move the FUP north 1km to where the route emerges from the woods, at the end of the track, and form up there.

If you encounter enemy on the way to the FUP order an attack, to clear the route ASP. Don't expect the AI to do it for you unless you used a move order to get to the FUP instead of an attack order, and ticked the >Allow Attacks< box.
dazkaz15

Post by dazkaz15 »

ORIGINAL: PokerWolf

In same scenario I had a lot of attack orders cancelling and changing to move orders unfortunately didn't have any save files recorded at the time, what are common reasons for the ai to cancel an attack and change to a move order. Thnx again.
See here for things that will effect the attack orders:
tm.asp?m=3287412

Its an old thread, but I think most of them still apply.

Also look out for a message telling you that an attack has stalled.
Sometimes once the attack has been stalled, the AI commander abandons the attack, but instead of just bunkering down, the assault turns into a move order to the attack waypoint instead.

This is a minor bug that can easily be avoided by monitoring the message logs, and your Subordinate Commanders.
dazkaz15

Post by dazkaz15 »

Something else I would like to add, that may help you out in the future, is don't assume all bridges, and roads are defended.

What I mean by that is don't over use the attack command.

In the example you have provided, there is no evidence that the bridge is defended.
Its not one of your objectives, although it is possible that it may be an enemy objective I guess, as sometimes they are different for each side.

When your units assault they do so in a straight line at maximum speed, and this tires them out very quickly.
A better option would be to give a move order to the Bn Commander to goto the bridge.
They will move tactically with a Coy tasked as the advance guard, a line filler, and a rear guard, and if you select Road Colum as the formation, they will do this on the road, and tracks, at a good speed.
If they encounter enemy on route, or at the bridge the lead Coy will inevitably lose some of its point men, but this is also what happened for real.
You can then order the Bn to attack, or just click the Allow Attacks box, and the AI will do it for you.
Bear in mind that you will have to assess the strength of the enemy you encounter, before taking action.

Another more cautious approach, would be to move to the FUP then send out one of the Coy as either a probe, with a probe order, or as a scout with a move order.
This will prevent the whole Bn from over exerting itself on a needless assault, and they can rest while the lead Coy does its job.
The probing/scouting Coy can be given a defend in situ order if it encounters enemy, to fix them, while you flank, or assault with the remaining 2 Coy's under Bn AI control.

Return to “Tech Support”