Another dumb noobie question

Advanced Tactics is a versatile turn-based strategy system that gives gamers the chance to wage almost any battle in any time period. The initial release focuses on World War II and includes a number of historical scenarios as well as a full editor! This forum supports both the original Advanced Tactics and the new and improved Advanced Tactics: Gold Edition.

Moderator: Vic

falco148

Another dumb noobie question

Post by falco148 »

Sorry if this sounds stoopid but how does one actually go into multi-player mode? I've tried but had no luck so far. I've always preferred playing against human opponents as against the AI.
Calliope

RE: Another dumb noobie question

Post by Calliope »

After you create a map, there are 6 options to choose and one of them is PBEM game. Click it and it will be a multiple game.

Then exchange the save file after you finish your turn to others by email or dropbox. [:D]
falco148

Post by falco148 »

Again....can you more specific? When I choose the human vs human option, the scenario just goes into 'hotseat' mode. Theres absolutely nothing about PBEM in the manual except a brief paragraph about passwords.
Whydmer

Post by Whydmer »

After you click on "Make" and the next screen comes up in the lower left hand corner it will have the opponents box and it will list the names of the fledgling empires on the left and on the right it will denote on the right whether it is a human or AI opponent. When you left click on a box that says AI it will then say AI+, by clicking on it again it will go to AI++, and then AI-, and finally to human. Once you have everything set the way you want there you want to click PBEM protection and passwords on the upper left.

Then you start the game. If you are not the first player when you get to the login screen for the first player click on Save & quit and email the save file or use Dropbox. Does that make it any clearer?
falco148

Post by falco148 »

So as I understand it now, only user created scenarios can be played multi-player. Not the stock scenarios included in the game. Is this correct?
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

No, that is not correct. I believe all scenarios can be played multi-player.
ORIGINAL: falco

So as I understand it now, only user created scenarios can be played multi-player. Not the stock scenarios included in the game. Is this correct?
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

There is no PBEM++ server for this game. To play multi-player you must send your save game file (email, Dropbox, etc) to your opponent. He plays his turn, saves and sends to the next player.

Again....can you more specific? When I choose the human vs human option, the scenario just goes into 'hotseat' mode. Theres absolutely nothing about PBEM in the manual except a brief paragraph about passwords.
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
falco148

Post by falco148 »

Aha!.....just found this out for myself. What you actually do when you want to start a PBEM game is choose what scenario you want to play after you first start the game (you'll see 'New Random game', Classic Random Game', Classic Scenarios etc on the screen that appears when you first open the game. Double click on the one you want. Then, when the scenario info page appears, choose what options you want to include (PBEM protection, passwords etc), and click on them. Then proceed to the bottom left corner of the scenario info screen where it says 'opponents' and make sure both sides modes are on 'human'.

Then click START. A new screen will appear where you will see click boxes with 'login' & 'quit and save'. First of all login and enter a personal password, the click OK, and it will go back to the previous screen. Click on 'quit and save' and the file will be saved to 'Advanced Tactics Gold saved games' on your computer. THIS is the file that you then send to your opponent who more or less goes through the same login procedure. Now depending on which sides you have each chosen, your opponent will now play the first turn if his side starts first or e-mail/dropbox the file back to you so you make the first turn if required.

I have no idea why this most basic information couldn't be made available in the manual or even why no-one could explain it in a straight foward way on this forum. Its almost like AT old-timers don't want any noobies interfering in their private 'old boys' gaming domain or something. Either that, or they lack sufficient command of the English language to explain even the most basic of concepts in a coherent fashion.

Wolfe1759

Post by Wolfe1759 »

Falco - I think you are being a tad uncharitable to say the least in your last comment given that a number of people on the forum (including the designer) have tried to help you on this and a number of other other questions you have asked over the last few days.

Could the manual have been better, probably, then again this could apply to many many game manuals (have a look at the "manual" you get with Pandora for instance - sorry off topic).

Keep asking the questions though, I'm just getting into the game myself so I'll probably benefit from the answers as well.
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill
Whydmer

Post by Whydmer »

Aha!.....just found this out for myself. What you actually do when you want to start a PBEM game is choose what scenario you want to play after you first start the game (you'll see 'New Random game', Classic Random Game', Classic Scenarios etc on the screen that appears when you first open the game. Double click on the one you want. Then, when the scenario info page appears, choose what options you want to include (PBEM protection, passwords etc), and click on them. Then proceed to the bottom left corner of the scenario info screen where it says 'opponents' and make sure both sides modes are on 'human'.

Then click START. A new screen will appear where you will see click boxes with 'login' & 'quit and save'. First of all login and enter a personal password, the click OK, and it will go back to the previous screen. Click on 'quit and save' and the file will be saved to 'Advanced Tactics Gold saved games' on your computer. THIS is the file that you then send to your opponent who more or less goes through the same login procedure. Now depending on which sides you have each chosen, your opponent will now play the first turn if his side starts first or e-mail/dropbox the file back to you so you make the first turn if required.

I have no idea why this most basic information couldn't be made available in the manual or even why no-one could explain it in a straight foward way on this forum. Its almost like AT old-timers don't want any noobies interfering in their private 'old boys' gaming domain or something. Either that, or they lack sufficient command of the English language to explain even the most basic of concepts in a coherent fashion.

While I did not start my explanation on the game menu screen, I started it once you were in the random game generation screen, but after that I included basically exactly what you posted. If you had asked what I meant about hitting the make button I would have happily responded.

I am not sure why you decided to respond to those of us who were attempting to help in such a manner, but I guess that is the way you choose to see the world.
falco148

Post by falco148 »

ORIGINAL: Whydmer

While I did not start my explanation on the game menu screen, I started it once you were in the random game generation screen, but after that I included basically exactly what you posted. If you had asked what I meant about hitting the make button I would have happily responded.

I am not sure why you decided to respond to those of us who were attempting to help in such a manner, but I guess that is the way you choose to see the world.

Actually no you didn't. You posted about 50% of the info a noobie would need to start up a PBEM battle. The information you provided was about 2 or 3 sentences, mine was a whole paragraph - a step-by-step explanation. ATG is a very difficult game to navigate around for the first timer, at least thats been my experience so far anyway. I was just curious why, for a game that appears to have such a big fan base, there was almost nothing written down as to how to play the thing PBEM. This is quite important for those of us who prefer play against human opponents as against an AI which is usually predictable and boring.

If I appeared to respond harshly I apologize but I was fed up with spending a lot of time trying to follow peoples vague instructions and getting nowhere. I do appreciate the fact that u responded, dont get me wrong - lol.
Josh

Post by Josh »

Well you may have a point Falco, some of us have been playing this game for so long that "we" sometimes don't see things as someone who is new to this game. So this is one of the things Vic could be improving upon. His support for this game has been *outstanding* but he is only a one man company so there is only so much he can do. Maybe he can take note of this topic and make it into an update or maybe the next installment of ATG; make multiplayer easier.

What I really would like to implement is a right-click. But that's something else altogether...
baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 »

Falco
quite important for those of us who prefer play against human opponents as against an AI which is usually predictable and boring.

While I am no doubt still considered a newbie (started playing ATG last year and haven't played ATG PBEM), I want to say that the latest Vic upgrade 2.20c has a very good AI that is agressive and willing to launch amphibious operations in your rear areas. Also like to say thanks for asking about PBEM, Falco, as I too did not fully understand how it worked in ATG. This forum has been very good at answering newbie questions too.
JRR
Whydmer

Post by Whydmer »

True, I have been playing some form of AT for longer than I can remember and I have not played PBEM at all since ATG came out. So my advice was certainly not as good as I may have thought.

I may have to end my no multiplayer drought....
falco148

Post by falco148 »

In all the wargames I've played over the past dozen years or so, (Combat Mission, Decisive Battles series, Panzer Corps, Battle Academy) I've almost never played against the AI. Dunno why really but when I occasionally have it always seemed kindof....lonely, for want of a better word. Also the bantering back and forth between pbem opponents is quite entertaining (well...usually anyway). But hell, thats just me. If playing against the AI is your thing, don't let the likes of me spoil it for you....lol

Maybe he can take note of this topic and make it into an update or maybe the next installment of ATG; make multiplayer easier.

Not sure if its necessary to make it 'easier' Josh, just step-by-step instructions would be nice though I think.
What I really would like to implement is a right-click. But that's something else altogether...

Not sure if I understand what this means. What would a right-click option do?

Also like to say thanks for asking about PBEM, Falco, as I too did not fully understand how it worked in ATG.

No problem mate....anytime! [:)]
I may have to end my no multiplayer drought....

I'm gonna start up the stock Ardennes Offensive scenario in a day or two Whydmer. If u maybe feel like a PBEM battle, send me a PM.

Josh

Post by Josh »

Right click...well for instance if you want to check out the OOB for a particular HQ you have to click on that small button on the lowerbar which brings you to the statistics screen, then search for that particular HQ and see what units fall under it.
Also if you want to check out what exactly an HQ is producing you must first remember the name of that HQ (1st, 2nd, 17th or a name you have given it yourself...) then find a production center (factory or city) then click on production oversight (the total of everything produced) and *then* find the said HQ and see what and how much that HQ is producing. You do not want to overload an HQ with dozens and dozens of well whatever, because it diminishes it's HQ coverage. So my idea is to right click on that HQ and a popup appears and see what and how much it is producing and adjust production from there.
Or maybe you want to give a depleted unit some new fresh units...right click on unit, a popup appears and choose the amount of units you want to send to that damaged unit. Transport could still be done via the "transport pool system" (how much trains and trucks are in the pool)

So IMHO right click is a missed opportunity in this game. Also at the right hand of the game screen there is still room for some additional info. For instance a tab with the OOB for a selected HQ.

Oh well just some loose thoughts [;)]
Whydmer

Post by Whydmer »

falco if you offer stands for a couple weeks I may have more time to be available, or I should really say that I will more consistently be available each day.

I will be in touch.
falco148

Post by falco148 »

OK, look forward to it. I've only ever played the Decisive Battles version of the Ardennes Offensive but this one looks much, much different. Actually I've already played a file and its ready to go but can soon play another if someone takes this one.

Return to “Advanced Tactics Series”