Love Command, Some newbee questions

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

poosd

Love Command, Some newbee questions

Post by poosd »

Hello all,
First time posting here. New to the game. To all the designers and developers...you did it right! Best $80.00
spent for any game. So much detail and so much data. Great job! Thank you.

Now some questions from the FNG:

1. Are weather effects going to be implemented at some future date?

2. How are, or how will cargo capacities be modeled (i.e. not being able to put a full infantry platoon into
one UH-1 Huey, or an M1A2 Tank Platoon with 4 tanks into one LCAC)?

3. Is there any way to use the Database viewer outside of the game? Any way to print out database entries?
If that's some type of licensing or proprietary issue, forgive my ignorance. I spend a lot of time just
looking at database information. What a huge amount of data! I enjoy that almost as much as playing
scenarios.

4. Is there a way to determine visual range (with some type of range circle like radar and sonar ranges are
displayed? I know that the Mark I eyeball shows a range of 50nm, but I imagine that is not so at night,
in poor weather (related to #1 above), or at different elevations.

5. I know that CMANO is not a land warfare based game, but you guys have done such a great job with the sea
and air side, I'd like to know what the future holds for the grunts among us? I read that there is some work
being done to enhance amphibious operations.

6. Any plans for a pre-WWII or WWII database? It looks like you've got all the pieces already in play to be
able to do that.

Thank you so much for a great simulation! I am very pleased with my purchase. I'll be happy to hear from anyone
that may wish to pitch in and direct me to answers to the above questions.
Thank you,
Dean
Coiler12

RE: Love Command, Some newbee questions

Post by Coiler12 »

1: They already are. (Try using a laser-guided bomb from high altitude in bad weather.)
2: I think they affect range, but that's it. Now you have to use events to teleport units.
3: Check Baloogan's site which has a database.
4: Varies per unit. The units have a visual identification and classification range in their DB entries. Also depends on the proficiency of the detector.
5: (Not a developer, can't answer)
6: (Similar) Although I will say that WWII is overdone already, and that there's some WWII units in the CWDB already.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: Coiler12
Although I will say that WWII is overdone already...

OK, I'll bite--what games out there cover WWII like this game? Of course I'm aware of WitP, but it is a very different game...
VFA41_Lion

Post by VFA41_Lion »

have you tried the Hearts of Iron series by Paradox? its not exactly like Command or Harpoon for WW2... but it is richly detailed and covers WW2 :p plus you get a lot of choices of which games to buy...
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

ORIGINAL: 76mm

ORIGINAL: Coiler12
Although I will say that WWII is overdone already...

OK, I'll bite--what games out there cover WWII like this game? Of course I'm aware of WitP, but it is a very different game...

Lets' see...WITP ( a couple iterations), Victory at Sea, Carriers at War (a couple versions), HPS's Naval war series 2 titles), Warship Combat, Uncommon Valor, War Plan Pacific, Storm over the Pacific, Strategic Command to name a few. The last few are strategic games with a heavy naval component. And that's not counting older titles like Great Naval Battles and 1942.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

Lets' see...WITP ( a couple iterations), Victory at Sea, Carriers at War (a couple versions), HPS's Naval war series 2 titles), Warship Combat, Uncommon Valor, War Plan Pacific, Storm over the Pacific, Strategic Command to name a few. The last few are strategic games with a heavy naval component. And that's not counting older titles like Great Naval Battles and 1942.

I'm not familiar with all of those games you listed, but generally they are:
1) strategic rather than tactical games like CMANO;
2) focused exclusively on the Pacific theater, or even specific campaigns in that theater, rather than the huge sandbox provided by CMANO; and/or
3) many/several years old.

As far as I am aware, there is nothing quite like CMANO covering the WWII period.
DeltaIV

Post by DeltaIV »

Well, i think that there's a reason why such title doesn't exists.

Technically, on non-pacific theatre (think European), naval/air combat wasn't all that interesting (subs are overdone and i doubt that it would make much sense to manage Ark Royal or Bismarck on the CMANO level). So i think that it would basically boil down to air combat on European theatre which i don't consider very fitting for CMANO-like game. Achtung Spitfire did it right, but that's something different. IL-2 Sturmovik did it also right, but that's a 3d simulator. Then there's Bombing The Reich which does that on strategic scale. CMANO is fun with all the sensors and missiles, loadouts, satellites, etc., which are basically absent in WW2. It would also have to model some individual pilot skills, A/C turn radius, etc. to emphasize things that were important in WW2.

I don't want to discourage anyone from anything, but I don't consider CMANO to be ideal platform for modelling of WW2 tactical aerial warfare.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: DeltaIV
I don't want to discourage anyone from anything, but I don't consider CMANO to be ideal platform for modelling of WW2 tactical aerial warfare.

Understood, and I won't argue with you, but that's a very different argument from saying that WWII has been overdone.
DeltaIV

Post by DeltaIV »

Shameless self promotion: A while back i did scenario "On Stalin's Order, 1945", it is in community pack. Technically, it's fictional WW2 scenario which pretty much does the thing we talk about, with platforms that were available when I've created it. Give it a shot and see yourself if you would enjoy WW2 CMANO.

There were also some JP - USA scens around with CVs, but I don't think that they were ever included in the pack.
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

ORIGINAL: 76mm

I'm not familiar with all of those games you listed, but generally they are:
1) strategic rather than tactical games like CMANO;
2) focused exclusively on the Pacific theater, or even specific campaigns in that theater, rather than the huge sandbox provided by CMANO; and/or
3) many/several years old.

As far as I am aware, there is nothing quite like CMANO covering the WWII period.

Holy Crap...yeah, there is no exact game like Command for WW2, otherwise it would most likely be Command for WW2. I guess I need to put words in your mouth to define it...a game that has tactical naval combat. As I already pointed out, a couple of those are strategic with a heavy naval element. But even though WITP can be used as a strategic game, I have always played smaller tactical games with it. It is easily capable of it. The rest all have a pretty strong tactical element to them. Excepting the couple I have now pointed out a couple times.

I didn't even get exhaustive. Might I suggest you actually check out a few of those. Look at HPS for example. I guess if you realy are going to split hairs, no game is "like" Commmand.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

Shameless self promotion: A while back i did scenario "On Stalin's Order, 1945", it is in community pack. Technically, it's fictional WW2 scenario which pretty much does the thing we talk about, with platforms that were available when I've created it. Give it a shot and see yourself if you would enjoy WW2 CMANO.

Thanks, I'll check this one out.
DeltaIV

Post by DeltaIV »

Good, try it, i'd be glad to hear your opinion. [:)]

By the way, where from is your avatar picture ? I don't recognize it [:D]
76mm

Post by 76mm »

By the way, where from is your avatar picture ? I don't recognize it

It's from WIF, I'm partial to Rokossovsky...
poosd

Post by poosd »

Hello all,

Thanks to for the replies. I think item # 6 got pretty well digested!

Coiler12..I'm still pretty new to CMANO. I didn't notice weather affects related to laser guided bombs at high
altitude. I'll have to watch that more closely. I was thinking more along the lines of visibility limiting Mk1
eyeball detections, difficulties in type ID'ing and determination of friendly, neutral or hostile units, degraded
sensor performance vs. sea states and sea or pack ice, weather fronts effecting operations, things along those
lines.

I think that Baloogan's site is great. He's put an awful lot of effort in this project as well.

Anyone have any more information of the other questions? Reading other posts, it appears that there is quiet a bit
of customer interest out there in the future of CMANO. I was hoping that one of the devs would see this and reply
(yes, I've seen some other posts, but they didn't really address my questions...more of just "teasers").

For me, this is the game that I was hoping Harpoon would become. I'm just very pleased that these talented
individuals (the devs) are putting so much effort in to their product.

Thanks again all for replies.
Dean

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”