Russians - the right use of Korps

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

SunTsu

Russians - the right use of Korps

Post by SunTsu »

I have written about this in another thread already whereby the thread got offtopic... So here too...

For a new PBEM I want to try to use the Korps of the Russians for defending Leningrad. It is because I can deliver more digging power for the units by this and also it is cheaper than disbanding the corps since they will disband by themselves later.

But what if it comes to battle?

Corps HQ usually have weak leaders with bad stats at infantery and initiative. How does affect the battle? Will the units fight worse because of the bad stats in infantery? And whats about reserves. I know that if the leader is missing the die roll it comes to the next leader (army) to pass a check. But somewhere I have read that this second check is quite harder to pass if on leader has not made the check before.

So do I weaken the units and do I lessen the chances of activating reserves by using the corps?
jwolf

RE: Russians - the right use of Korps

Post by jwolf »

With respect, wouldn't most of the corps HQ already be automatically disbanded by the time the fighting gets near Leningrad?
SunTsu

Post by SunTsu »

I dont know... This would mean that the most Corps must be disbanded very quick after the start..
Omat

Post by Omat »

Hello

No. You have to save you pp for other things as creating SU`s, buildings Fortified Zones, changing leaders of armies and fronts, changing oob, creating corps later and so on.

You are always short on admins points..so do not waste them with disbanding Corp HQ.

Omat
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
Bertrand Russell
charlie0311

Post by charlie0311 »

Hi guys,

The sov corp Hqs disband automatically by turn 5 or 6 (no admin cost), there is some variation. Put two sapper regts in the armies (hqs) where you want to entrench and use the divs with the highest contruction value (see unit window). I think by "pp" Omat means admin points.
SunTsu

Post by SunTsu »

Thank you. If they disband so early it in fact is obsolete to plan with them...
morvael

Post by morvael »

I think the Cavalry Corps HQs stay until 1942.
loki100

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: SunTsu

Thank you. If they disband so early it in fact is obsolete to plan with them...

I wouldn't worry about who is in command or what support units they have. But remember when they disband their support units go to the commanding HQ, so in the south, you'll SW Front gets a lot of SUs as a result and will need some sorting out.

I find them handy over the T2-T4 phase, I can get stuff back into command more easily by the corps HQ, impose some sort of order, and slowly group them together for when the HQs are disbanded. You need to be a little bit careful over T5-6 with the deployment of your army HQs that units aren't suddenly out of command.

Agree with all the above, I'd not spend APs on disbanding, if I have any that are empty shells (all their divisions have been destroyed or are in pockets), I just push far to the rear so they are out of the way.
morvael

Post by morvael »

One could possibly set them to 50 MAXTOE to try to get some manpower back without spending AP, once they are away from harm and command no units. But one more layer of command may be useful in some limited cases.

Return to “The War Room”