Sticky Threads to Remove?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

LoBaron

Sticky Threads to Remove?

Post by LoBaron »

By pure coincidence I found Bill´s compiled list of 'AE Forum Glossary' stickied in the General Discussion. Actually I just stumbled over it because I was looking for a forum rules sticky.

That got me thinking: All other subforums are extremely carful and (too?) selective when it comes to stickies, but IMHO the General Discussion is not, or at least noone maintains it.

So I thought to post my personal view of threads to be removed from the list of stickies, either because they are out of date or have lost their purpose (this includes the OOB threads as there is no correction to to the DB anymore).

Opinions?

DanSez

RE: Sticky Threads to Remove?

Post by DanSez »

maybe change some folders into sub-folders under one main called "Sticky Archive" -- ?

Is that possible?
That way if someone wants to do research or splunking in the past evolution/decision/issues of the game it within reasonable distance. Would that be useful for modders or for (future) projects like the one Alfred has undertaken to update documentation or is all that information now so outdated as to be useless?

The Commander's job is to orchestrate and direct the three major dimensions of combat - space, time and force. Shattered Sword, the Untold Story of the Battle of Midway
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

even un-stickied, they can always be searched.

Lo - agree with your rec's ...
Pax
btd64

Post by btd64 »

It would "thin out" the front page so the questions and comments in the bottom section would have more "front page" space. An Archive is a good idea....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

Agree with an Archived Stickies subforum.

We do need more of the really good Q&A threads to be stickied.
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

I have thought we could unsticky some things. Any thoughts on changes to the above list?

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

I have thought we could unsticky some things. Any thoughts on changes to the above list?

Bill

I propose that, considering Alfred's self-assumed burden over the next four months, that a sticky thread for the .pdf manual revisions may be helpful for his endeavors.
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

Get rid of those not used, not those you aren't interested in.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

Perhaps unsticky the "Full planning map" too?
LoBaron

Post by LoBaron »

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

Perhaps unsticky the "Full planning map" too?

Actually I did not include it in the 'to remove' threads as thought it was one of the most usefule additions to WitP AE that also could be used without even being near the game. Even if it does not match the extended map, and might have some minor erros, it is a great help for players. More so new ones.

Maybe it is possible to compile a list of 'useful tools for WitP', and add this thread as a sticky?

For this thread I would nominate:
Tracker, witpqs sensational combat reporter, the submarine tracker (currently do not remember the name), and the planning map. The combat reporter I would unsticky from the mod forum. So everything is in one place. What do you think?

Also I support Chickenboys idea of a sticky for Alfred´s manual revision.
Kull

Post by Kull »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

Bill

Why not create a single sticky thread (call it "Legacy Thread links" or somesuch) which in turn contains links to all or most of what is unstickied? Few post in those threads anymore, but they might still get traffic. This keeps them "ready to hand" as it were, but will clear up a vast amount of space at the top of the page.
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

Go with the list proposed. Makes a bunch of sense to me.

I'd also work to create a new list of a few things to Stickie. A stickie concerning a 'how to find a Mod' might be good. We've had several people work to create lists of Mods that have been done and are active. This would make some sense to add on.

What about others that need to be added/deleted?

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
Lifer

Post by Lifer »

How about any thread with the last post in 2013 or before. Move the 'Issue' and Tracker threads to the Design and Modding Subforum.
Man does not enter battle to fight, but for victory. He does everything that he can to avoid the first and obtain the second.
Ardant du Picq
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: DanSez

maybe change some folders into sub-folders under one main called "Sticky Archive" -- ?

Is that possible?
That way if someone wants to do research or splunking in the past evolution/decision/issues of the game it within reasonable distance. Would that be useful for modders or for (future) projects like the one Alfred has undertaken to update documentation or is all that information now so outdated as to be useless?

Call it an "Agglutination of Stickys"

DanSez

Post by DanSez »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

ORIGINAL: DanSez

Call it an "Agglutination of Stickys"

-- Antecedent Stickies --

translates better than:
Past Stickies - which tend to fall off the wall
Previous Stickies - which may be jealous of our current stickies
Not So Useful Anymore Stickies - which might embarrass our current stickies by showing up at Thanksgiving dinner and stare thru the window
The Commander's job is to orchestrate and direct the three major dimensions of combat - space, time and force. Shattered Sword, the Untold Story of the Battle of Midway
DanSez

Post by DanSez »

- bump -
to get back on topic.

Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Bump...
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Bump...
Better make this thread a sticky.
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

The Mods, Descriptions, Designers, and their location for access are a MUST for Stickies in my book. One location with all info on the major, active Mods.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”