Research Reloaded - [DWU][WIP][beta soon] New huge research tree, new everything

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Joshwoo69

RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research tree, new everything...

Post by Joshwoo69 »

Any news on DW2?
Wile false do
Turtle.print ( KSP )
End
lurchi

Post by lurchi »

Nope, no news about DW2. I guess you'll have to wait a few more months.

There's news about Research Reloaded, though. The mod now has 293 components (7 less than cap) and 900 research projects (100 less than cap). [8D]

Also I have a question for you.

Right now the tech tree goes (save supertech) up to level 9, just like vanilla. I'm seriously considering adding two levels, one more is not feasible due to structural reasons.

Why you ask?

First to increase diversity even more due to players and AI focussing on less tech trees.
Second to somewhat counteract setting research costs lower due to there being way more projects to research.
Third to introduce new (kinda) super tech levels where it wasn't possible previously.

What do you think?
Cmiller

Post by Cmiller »

ORIGINAL: lurchi
Second to somewhat counteract setting research costs lower due to there being way more projects to research.

So you don't want people setting their research costs lower? Also, how feasible will it actually be to actually "reach" level 11 by the end of a game. I don't mind playing long games, but I also don't play sandbox games either. As it is now, I usually never reach the end of my tech trees before setting the game aside for a new one. Not sure if I'll ever get a chance to research the end game techs unless I set costs to abosuluet minimum. But then it becomes a retrofit frenzy when you do that, so, um, yeah...

Anyway, its your mod, do what you want. That's just my opinion on the matter. Though if I end up testing your mod, don't expect results of level 11 techs from my side, okay [;)]. I probably won't reach them.

The mod now has 293 components

Don't tell me your gonna go over the new 300 limit now, lol.

Cmiller
Blackstork

Post by Blackstork »

I think lets get default design, then you will be able to extend it. Seems its now quite complex, and its a insteresting question how much time needed in order to research all needed techs. I really like the idea, because then there will be more sence to be research race, and more length to games for people who want it. If it need more heavy balance and alot of modding and tweaking, perhaps better to leave it to "tea and cookie" time, for now its time of "first dish", and if the cookies will complicate testing and digesting it it will be better to hold with it. If you release your mod sooner - sooner people will start to test it and you will get the oportunity to tweak/test it with players/ai in actual research queues sooner . :)
just my 5 cents :)
Alien Immersion (WIP) : tm.asp?m=3651979
Beyond Extended Universe (WIP): tm.asp?m=3657646
lurchi

Post by lurchi »

ORIGINAL: Cmiller

So you don't want people setting their research costs lower?

No, that's not it. I just want to prevent lower settings people might use due to the huge amount of research projects leading to reaching the final level too fast.

Also, how feasible will it actually be to actually "reach" level 11 by the end of a game. I don't mind playing long games, but I also don't play sandbox games either. As it is now, I usually never reach the end of my tech trees before setting the game aside for a new one. Not sure if I'll ever get a chance to research the end game techs unless I set costs to abosuluet minimum. But then it becomes a retrofit frenzy when you do that, so, um, yeah...

Seems you play really short games, I usually reach the final levels of all important tech trees, and I play on expensive. Well, not that this is required. Anyway, lower settings should keep the gaming time similar to what it was.

Anyway, its your mod, do what you want. That's just my opinion on the matter. Though if I end up testing your mod, don't expect results of level 11 techs from my side, okay [;)]. I probably won't reach them.

Try harder! [:'(]
The mod now has 293 components

Don't tell me your gonna go over the new 300 limit now, lol.

Well... [:D]

Nah, I guess I'll keep juuust below it.
lurchi

Post by lurchi »

ORIGINAL: Blackstork

I think lets get default design, then you will be able to extend it. Seems its now quite complex, and its a insteresting question how much time needed in order to research all needed techs. I really like the idea, because then there will be more sence to be research race, and more length to games for people who want it. If it need more heavy balance and alot of modding and tweaking, perhaps better to leave it to "tea and cookie" time, for now its time of "first dish", and if the cookies will complicate testing and digesting it it will be better to hold with it. If you release your mod sooner - sooner people will start to test it and you will get the oportunity to tweak/test it with players/ai in actual research queues sooner . :)

Well, a sooner release isn't possible as long as the component bug isn't fixed, we have to wait for the next patch anyway. That patch probably also has the weapon modifiers I really long for... [&o]
I also have to consider balancing and research queues. I guess Icemania won't be very happy if a later extension forces him to restart.
Joshwoo69

Post by Joshwoo69 »

Maybe delicate the 7 to super awesome weapons [:)]
Wile false do
Turtle.print ( KSP )
End
Kizucha

Post by Kizucha »

First for me lurchi do what you want.[;)] Second, if its about more research projects, do it.[:D] Third, if it takes another year, please release it first if its stable and extend it after this.[:'(]

Last, still i want a cake![:(]
Joshwoo69

Post by Joshwoo69 »

ORIGINAL: Kizucha

First for me lurchi do what you want.[;)] Second, if its about more research projects, do it.[:D] Third, if it takes another year, please release it first if its stable and extend it after this.[:'(]

Last, still i want a cake![:(]
No cake for you [:-][:'(]
The cake is a LIE!
Wile false do
Turtle.print ( KSP )
End
Kizucha

Post by Kizucha »

But... but... its a cake![:(]
Blackstork

Post by Blackstork »

ORIGINAL: Blackstork

Well, a sooner release isn't possible as long as the component bug isn't fixed, we have to wait for the next patch anyway. That patch probably also has the weapon modifiers I really long for... [&o]
I also have to consider balancing and research queues. I guess Icemania won't be very happy if a later extension forces him to restart.

Icemania wont start integration till testings and tweaks are done, so you better release original base hwich could be tested, this will create better platform to put extension on it, which will need less testing. Once all this done then there will be reason for integration. I really like that idea, alot (And i really want you to make it - those more 2 levels). Simply i think that approach of releasing some base material so you can get feedback is better, this way player will able to "digest" all information faster.
Joshwoo69

Post by Joshwoo69 »

THE CAKE IS A LIE.
Wile false do
Turtle.print ( KSP )
End
Blackstork

Post by Blackstork »

ORIGINAL: Joshwoo69

THE CAKE IS A LIE.

NO, ITS JUST TIER 9 CAKE AND ITS HARD TO RESEARCH. I ADVICE YOU TO ADJUST PRE-SET COSTS, AND PUT SOME TEA SETTINGS ON.
Btw as modder i am excited and menaced by qty of the techs we will need to grind and test in order to balance and integrate mods.
DinoSaurus

Post by DinoSaurus »

One ponit for LURCHI SPECIAL DW Version 2.0: [;)]

What about additional resources needed for components etc.?

If you add new components it also would be one way to add further mineral resources... or?

[:D][:D][:D]

Have you thougth about?

By the way: if you ask, maybe they will allow more than 80 resources and change it from 80 to 200 - so you have 120 (in words: hundredandtwenty[;)])new possibilities to mod...
lurchi

Post by lurchi »

K, since most of you think more tech is good I'll add the two new levels. I guess I might go up to 1000 research projects with this.
lurchi

Post by lurchi »

ORIGINAL: DinoSaurus

One ponit for LURCHI SPECIAL DW Version 2.0: [;)]

What about additional resources needed for components etc.?

If you add new components it also would be one way to add further mineral resources... or?

[:D][:D][:D]

Have you thougth about?

By the way: if you ask, maybe they will allow more than 80 resources and change it from 80 to 200 - so you have 120 (in words: hundredandtwenty[;)])new possibilities to mod...

I already have various new ressources. [:D]
Nah, contrary to the other caps 80 ressources is plenty.
Hawkeye_BF

Post by Hawkeye_BF »

great :)))
Kizucha

Post by Kizucha »

There you go new component cap, we will not miss you.[;)] Or are they only upgrades for existent components and dont bother with the component cap?[&:]
lurchi

Post by lurchi »

Well, I have 7 components left to use, but one is already reserved for a race tech. I also want to keep a few, for future race techs. We'll see.
Blackstork

Post by Blackstork »

Lurchi, if you will use them then your mod will be not compatible and wont be open for making of megamod.
I really advise you against using those, and even it would be better if you keep them for aditional race's unique ones. I think Beyond have 6 of those. (as race specific additional components for Lemeresh, Such-Oos, Veey, Yereni, Dlakar, Archei)

Return to “Design and Modding”