Para drops

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

warspite1

Para drops

Post by warspite1 »

A question for the Grognards please.

In the Tech Support forum yvesp has queried whether para drops are bugged i.e. should they be allowed in friendly territory (which they aren't currently) or WAD by not allowing such?

The relevant rules are identified in that thread so its more about interpretation - unless there is a rule we have both missed.

tm.asp?m=3697065&mpage=1&key=&#3697132
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
composer99

RE: Para drops

Post by composer99 »

I just checked the rules FAQ (downloadable PDF off the ADG website), and sure enough, this question has come up before.

The official word from ADG is that no, you can't paradrop into a friendly hex.
~ Composer99
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: composer99

I just checked the rules FAQ (downloadable PDF off the ADG website), and sure enough, this question has come up before.

The official word from ADG is that no, you can't paradrop into a friendly hex.
warspite1

Thanks Composer - that is good.

Ur_Vile_WEdge

Post by Ur_Vile_WEdge »

Just out of curiosity, why would you want to paradrop as opposed to air transport if the target hex is friendly?
"When beset by danger,
When in deadly doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout."
composer99

Post by composer99 »

The specific question was about dropping into a friendly mountain hex, which you can't do in an air transport mission.
~ Composer99
Omnius

Post by Omnius »

composer99,
I think that's a good restriction to not allow air transport into a mountain hex, unless there's a city of port there also. Actually we probably shouldn't be able to do paradrops into mountain hexes. Mountains just don't strike me as a good place to try a big opposed paradrop. If I recall correctly there never has been a large scale paradrop attack ever in history.

Omnius
composer99

Post by composer99 »

Well, given the granularity of hexes in (M)WiF (each hex is about 100 km across, if memory serves), a mountain hex in most cases would have plenty of terrain one can paradrop into, which is doubtless why the game doesn't have that restriction. (After all, every hex in Crete is a mountain hex, again, if memory serves.)
~ Composer99
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

Your memory serves correctly...
Peter
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: composer99

Well, given the granularity of hexes in (M)WiF (each hex is about 100 km across, if memory serves), a mountain hex in most cases would have plenty of terrain one can paradrop into, which is doubtless why the game doesn't have that restriction. (After all, every hex in Crete is a mountain hex, again, if memory serves.)
warspite1

Good point.

brian brian

Post by brian brian »

There is no restriction on committing suicide with your paratroopers by dropping into an enemy mountain hex. The notional security troops garrisoned on high points just love having an elevation advantage over the drop zones, just as at Hill 107 on Crete.

Notionals are doubled in mountain hexes and it is rarely advisable to drop on one.
Extraneous

Post by Extraneous »

When you say a "Friendly Hex" I hope that means a "Friendly Controlled Hex" and not just a "Enemy Controlled Hex" with a partisan in it.

University of Science Music and Culture (USMC) class of 71 and 72 ~ Extraneous (AKA Mziln)
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Put the notional out of supply - reasonably easy for islands like Crete - and those notionals surrender in droves unless they're in a city.
Paul

Return to “World in Flames”