Blast from the past

Post bug reports and ask for technical assistance here.
Overman

Blast from the past

Post by Overman »

I recently purchased CC TLD after not playing any of the series for 6 years. I was pleasantly surprised by the pace of the game and the simple refinements made. I played the GC on the toughest settings as the Allied forces. Played vs the AI to get a feel for the changes made. Won on night of June 8th, escaping the wrath of the 21st panzer and their armor.

A few things I'd like to mention, things I noticed, quirks, possible bugs, questions, etc:

1 - Illumination - Nice touch! Illumination rounds give the game a new feature. I wonder though, does an illuminated area make it easier for friendly units to gain LOS and fire on the enemy more effectively?
2 - Battle groups - What does it mean when a unit is 'shaded out' on the BG screen with the words 'disorganized' over it?
3 - I noticed that in the 915/352 ID (German), the 7.5cm PAK was listed twice on the BG list.
4 - Also noticed that one of the UK BGs has both the Wolverine and the Achilles (w/ same armaments) on the unit list. Wht exactly are the differences?
5 - What is the difference between the MG42 equipped by Panzergrenadier (MG) units and the leichtes MG42 equipped by others? Distribution seems weird...
6 - Noticed a pinkish colored stripe on the German tanker uniforms (should be black with silver linings).
7 - How does the 'NO COHESION' warning impact a BG's functioning?
8 - I noticed that a German tank unit had 'Vehicle Crew' written in white text above it on the BG screen (where one would normally 'rename' a unit)...how did that happen?
9 - What is the function of the single supply barrel on the strat map?

Suggested improvements:
No major suggestions, as I'm familiar with the limitations of the classic game engine.
However, the GC pacing could have been better. For example, I cleared the beaches relatively quickly. Once this was done, the game was pretty much over in Omaha sector, then in Utah a little later, as my units swarmed over the top half of the strat map. The bottom half (GJS sector) was much more difficult, as the German BGs were more armor intensive, and maps were larger and more challenging.
I'm assuming this is an intentional design feature, as it is historical to a certain degree.
Another gripe I have is with the underwhelming nature of air support. The Allies should have strong consistent air support as long as the weather is good. The air strikes I witnessed rarely made a dent in the progress of battles.

All in all, awesome job on the part of the development (remake) team!!! :)
"Patriotism can be pathological"
Overman

RE: Blast from the past

Post by Overman »

Also, what is the benefit of 'resting' a Battlegroup?
Tejszd

Post by Tejszd »

1 - Illumination

= it does help units see (LOS) at night when they are in a dark area looking into the illuminated area.

2 - Battle group screen 'disorganized' unit?

= means that squad/vehicle can not be swapped out

3 - 915/352 ID (German), the 7.5cm PAK listed twice?

= most likely the crews have different experience and or morale

4 - UK BGs have both the Wolverine and the Achilles (w/ same armaments) what differences?

= my understanding is the British called the tank Achilles instead of the US name Wolverine. Some sites say the British change the gun.

5 - MG42 equipped by Panzergrenadier (MG) units and the leichtes MG42 equipped by others?

= ?

6 - Noticed a pinkish colored stripe on the German tanker uniforms (should be black with silver linings).

= ?

7 - How does the 'NO COHESION' warning impact a BG's functioning?

= ?

8 - I noticed that a German tank unit had 'Vehicle Crew' written in white text above it on the BG screen (where one would normally 'rename' a unit)...how did that happen?

= Bug, do you have the latest patch applied?

9 - What is the function of the single supply barrel on the strat map?

= provides 1 step of ammo and fuel. The multi barrel supply depot allows for recovering 2 steps of ammo an fuel

10 - Resting

= allows troops to rest so they do not start a battle tired if they the BG is fatigued
Overman

Post by Overman »

Thanks for the reply!

1- ok
2- Sure, but WHY does that happen? Does it serve a function or is it the result of something else happening?
3- ok, Ill check
4- Yes, that is my understanding as well. Just didn't make sense as to why they are in the same BG, unless the armor values are different.

8- er, I got 5.50.13 patch?
9- Ok, thanks for the clarification. It is my understanding that BGs do not re-spawn at single barrel maps...is that true?
10- Does 'resting' the BG improve the fatigue bar 'one step' at a time? I never noticed a dramatic increase after resting a BG...

Tejszd

Post by Tejszd »

2 - the cohesion or lack there of will result in the disorganized squads/vehicles. These disorganized squads do not get replenishment troops and limit your freedom to change units for the coming battle. A penalty for using the same BG's over and over.

8 - the latest patch is v5.50.14b

9 - I believe your right about BG re spawning

10 - resting a BG will restore cohesion

Return to “Tech Support”