Research base retrofitting forever...

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

morik

Research base retrofitting forever...

Post by morik »

Its been years and years since I told them to retrofit. Their mission still displayed as retrofitting.
Any way I can figure out what is causing them to not finish? I have several new designs by now and want them to use the latest, but they've been stuck on the first design (retrofitting to the 2nd design) forever... I'm on like the 5th or 6th design.
Tanaka

RE: Research base retrofitting forever...

Post by Tanaka »

ORIGINAL: morik

Its been years and years since I told them to retrofit. Their mission still displayed as retrofitting.
Any way I can figure out what is causing them to not finish? I have several new designs by now and want them to use the latest, but they've been stuck on the first design (retrofitting to the 2nd design) forever... I'm on like the 5th or 6th design.

Not enough money or resources?
Hikikomori

Post by Hikikomori »

I had that problem with a resort base, the problem was that i didn't have any cargobays i believe, and so it could not store the components that were needed for the upgrade.

I had to scrap it and build a new one.

Edit: You probably also need docking bays, no clue if science stations demand those like resort bases do.
aZmoDen

Post by aZmoDen »

Might also be a lack of docking.
If no ships can land bringing the materials needed for the upgrade, the base wont upgrade.

This is only a problem with bases that arnt orbiting colonies, as the planet supplies any orbiting stations with everything it needs (without needing supplies from a cargo ship)
NephilimNexus

Post by NephilimNexus »

A docking port and at least one cargo bay, otherwise they'll have no place to put the materials needed for the assembly.
Skyjack

Post by Skyjack »

I had this happen to a port that had been damaged by pirates. Docking and cargo bays non operational.

Scrapping and rebuilding was the easiest way.
Kayoz

Post by Kayoz »

ORIGINAL: Skyjack

I had this happen to a port that had been damaged by pirates. Docking and cargo bays non operational.

I've seen problems with retrofitting or upgrading ships that are damaged, without repairing them first. This was ostensibly fixed in a patch a while ago; so it might be that upgrades don't happen till repairs are effected.

This may be "working as designed".
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens
johanwanderer

Post by johanwanderer »

First of, like eveyone already said, make sure you have at least a docking bay and cargo storage. Secondly, if the base is being build on a colony, that colony can only build one thing at a time. If you queued up a bunch of colony ships and then hit upgrade on the base, the planet will have to finish building all the ships first before it upgrades the base. If there were shortages, then the whole queue would become clogged, and nothing gets done.
Skyjack

Post by Skyjack »

ORIGINAL: Kayoz

ORIGINAL: Skyjack

I've seen problems with retrofitting or upgrading ships that are damaged, without repairing them first. This was ostensibly fixed in a patch a while ago; so it might be that upgrades don't happen till repairs are effected.

This may be "working as designed".

Thanks. So if your base gets damages is there a way to repair it? When mine was damaged, I could not get a constructor to repair it.
Aeson

Post by Aeson »

Thanks. So if your base gets damages is there a way to repair it? When mine was damaged, I could not get a constructor to repair it.
If the base is built over a colony, the colony will eventually repair the base. If the base is not built over a colony, then any construction ship should be able to repair it, although perhaps there's something in the code to prevent multiple construction ships from being ordered to repair the same object, and possibly some automation settings could interfere with your ability to order the construction ship to repair the base.
Skyjack

Post by Skyjack »

ORIGINAL: Aeson
If the base is built over a colony, the colony will eventually repair the base. If the base is not built over a colony, then any construction ship should be able to repair it, although perhaps there's something in the code to prevent multiple construction ships from being ordered to repair the same object, and possibly some automation settings could interfere with your ability to order the construction ship to repair the base.

Hmmmm, it was decades and the same 4 components remained damaged and never repaired (spaceport over a rich planet). I had zero shortages and zero automation set.

I had to scrap the entire medium port and start from scratch for 4 damaged components.
fruitgnome

Post by fruitgnome »

I don't know if you know that you can select a construction ship and left-click on a damaged base/ship to repair it.
Vellarain

Post by Vellarain »

Try and get damage control on all your investments as soon as possible, once you get the repair robot component, they will fix a damaged component every 5/3 seconds saving you from a massive headache and the constant whining of stranded ships from combat damage.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”