Space / Tactical Fleet Combat Game / AI Progressing

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

domitorastra

RE: Space / Tactical Fleet Combat Game / Progressing * Updated Screenshots *

Post by domitorastra »

may i ask what language this is programmed in?
jwilliam1
CarlVon

Post by CarlVon »

Hi Domitorastra,

I'm sorry I have been sick for some time. Send me your email
address and we will get going in a bit. Just getting back
on my feet.

It's completely written in Python.
toreth

RE: Space / Tactical Fleet Combat Game / Looking for Players

Post by toreth »

nice i would love to try this out, seems like what ive been looking for.
CarlVon

Post by CarlVon »

Hi Toreth,

Not a lot of interest at this point, so basically playing it with my close friends, having some great battles though!

But I think the main issue is no AI. It makes sense, there is a lot to do and no way to learn it on your own time.
CarlVon

Post by CarlVon »

Hi Guys,

So I have been discussing with my buddy to make some AI for this guy. It's such a good game I really don't want to mothball it. So AI it is, let me know if there is interest in that. Thanks!
Rebel Yell

Post by Rebel Yell »

I'm sure it will garner more interest with an AI. Unfortunately, single player games will always be orders of magnitude more popular than the challenge of playing other human beings.
Lucian

Post by Lucian »

This game looks great! But with movement and ship systems this detailed I can see any decent AI being very difficult to write. Good luck though, it would be amazing with even a basic AI!
Kayoz

Post by Kayoz »

Questions:
1. Client engine/language? Is this Flash, Java, or an actual compiled executable? Are you using a game engine or writing it from scratch?
"It's completely written in Python."
*cringe*
2. Physics engine - are planetary bodies implemented, or is it purely open space? That is, will you have asteroids to hide behind and planets to slingshot around?
3. Fog of war? Or does everyone see everything?
4. What do you mean by "fully modelled laser weapons"?
5. What do you mean by "heat tracking/management"? Is this a method to limit player actions (ie: can't run full speed with all guns firing?
6. Z-axis seems to be indicated (ref: post #70), but the view is distinctly 2D. How do you plan to address 3D movement?
7. Your own website?
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens
CarlVon

Post by CarlVon »

ORIGINAL: Kayoz

Questions:
1. Client engine/language? Is this Flash, Java, or an actual compiled executable? Are you using a game engine or writing it from scratch?
2. Physics engine - are planetary bodies implemented, or is it purely open space? That is, will you have asteroids to hide behind and planets to slingshot around?
3. Fog of war? Or does everyone see everything?
4. What do you mean by "fully modelled laser weapons"?
5. What do you mean by "heat tracking/management"? Is this a method to limit player actions (ie: can't run full speed with all guns firing?
6. Z-axis seems to be indicated (ref: post #70), but the view is distinctly 2D. How do you plan to address 3D movement?
7. Your own website?

First of all, thank you all for your support.

1. Server and Client are Python, Client is running Panda3d. Client is compiled, all from scratch. It runs well, server is a high performance version of python. True client / server.
2. Just open space for now, that's enough to deal with during a game :-)
3. There ain't no stealth in deep space, no need for sensors yet. You would be supprised though what you can't see if your enemy is good.
4. They are real life to spec, assuming we could power them, not melt them and hold them VERY steady.
5. I have not done anything with the intention of balancing etc. Ships, lasers etc generate heat, that heat needs to be stored in heat sinks,
and then dumped at later time (not in combat) off the radiators.
6. No 3d for now, 2d is enough to deal with we found, and fun.
7. Not yet, once I have some AI I will get one up.
Kayoz

Post by Kayoz »

ORIGINAL: CarlVon
1. Server and Client are Python, Client is running Panda3d. Client is compiled, all from scratch. It runs well, server is a high performance version of python. True client / server.

I hate to evangelize, but I think you should take a close look at Unity. You can do quite a bit of work with the free version and then upgrade to pro as your core features are done and you need to add polish to your game. If you look at performance, features, 64-bit support and debugging tools, Unity seems to come out FAR ahead of Panda3D.

I don't see anything you can't do in the free version of Unity that you can do in Panda. And if you expand this to a commercial release, there are indeed a lot of things you can't do (or are dreadfully difficult) in Panda3D, which are trivial in Unity. Again, looking forwards, you can upgrade to Unity Pro to accomplish what you need where the free version is incapable or clunky.

Panda3D is free... but you get what you pay for.

Decision is yours - just my 2p.

No comment on "high performance Python". Link says it all.
ORIGINAL: CarlVon
7. Not yet, once I have some AI I will get one up.

A decent AI will take quite a while to code. You can also use social media as a free marketing tool to promote your game and keep up the interest. FB page and your own hosted site are "must haves" IMO. I think you should get a site up ASAP, and clean it up as you go along. The cost is minimal and the later you leave it, the less benefit you'll receive.
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens
CarlVon

Post by CarlVon »

Thanks for you input Kayoz,

Unity is what I would choose if I wanted that level of development. Cost is not an issue, just picked Panda3D because it works with Python.

Running on Stackless Python, I get a turn computed with around 50 ships in about 1 second. So that's as much as I need, given it is turn based.

Decent AI will take some time, but basic AI won't take too long. But people need some place to start.

Yep, I agree on promotion, Facebook etc. Just really not there yet. First AI, grab a small beta team and go from there.
jonlad

Post by jonlad »

Hi I have just discovered this game by searching on Google. I just want to say it sounds amazing what you have done. I was wondering whether or not this project is alive (I sincerely hope that it is).

Regards Jonnie
CarlVon

Post by CarlVon »

Hi Jonnie,

I have been recovering from an illness. Basically this game is my dream space game so no it's not dead :-). The battles we have had so far have been amazing, beyond anything I could have hoped for. I am still in recovery, but doing very well.

That being said in the next few months I intend to implement some basic AI, this is required as people need to learn how to play without just jumping in to the sandbox. The operational layer is very complex as with the tactical layer. It could scale up to the strategic -- the engine will do it, but it would require a lot of player :-). After that, I will make it more open and we can start working on it with player suggestions etc.

Alive and well, if you wish you can jump on and shoot at some non-moving ships :-), as well as see the manual.
jonlad

Post by jonlad »

Thanks for replying. I'm sorry to hear that you haven't been well. Like I say the game sounds really good having some Ai in it would be good for me as my friends arn't really gamers. I would love to try it and see the manual. Will future information be posted in this thread I would like to follow how it is progressing.
CarlVon

Post by CarlVon »

Yep, I will keep people up to date here. I love Matrix games :-)
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Is this just 2D or will be 3D?
CarlVon

Post by CarlVon »

The engine is 3D, but the z axis has been taken out. You will understand at this point when you play it :-). 2D is VERY complex strategy, the tool set for commanders is also very good, but in 3D it would be very confusing. In the end 3D didn't bring much to strategic options, just more space to move. The backend will stay 3D however, for the future.

In the end, to understand this, you need to play it.
CarlVon

RE: Space / Tactical Fleet Combat Game / Progressing / AI

Post by CarlVon »

Hi Everyone,

Just an FYI, the 1rst phase of AI players is completed, just finished our first vs AI fleet battle. Went well, we won but not by much :-).
crazystickfigure

Post by crazystickfigure »

Hey, this looks really cool. Also discovered this after some google foo. I'd be very interested in playtesting it. Got a couple of friends who are really in to space combat games too and I'd love to try playing with them. Are you still looking for testers / thinking about releasing a beta?

One last question? Do you have plans to allow mod support or additional development? For people who want to try to add more ships / tweak it to recreate their favorite scifi series battles, Honor Harrington, Black Jack Geary, ect.

Thanks and good luck!
CarlVon

Post by CarlVon »

Hi Crazy,

Yep, I'm am just getting the AI up and running at a decent level, then we will want some testers for sure. Mod support is yes, but it difficult, it would have to be in-context. Meaning, the lasers are fully modeled using physics, they are not (damage point etc.). The thruster system is real too etc. So certain sci-fi won't work. This makes for some very deep strategy and tactics right now. Currently I have the current testers demanding I get the AI done so we can get some battles going again hehe.

Return to “General Discussion”