OT Celebrating Sobriety

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

KG Erwin

OT Celebrating Sobriety

Post by KG Erwin »

For the first time in over 30 years, I'm completely sober now. Haven't touched a drink in over a week, and as yet I have no desire for alcohol. You see, I spent five days in the hospital after I nearly died from dehydration. The thing is, I'm a Type I diabetic, and all these years of alcohol abuse finally caught up with me. Last Thursday I was so out of control that I couldn't even drink water without throwing it back up. My blood sugar that night was 700!! It took something like this for me to finally realize I was slowly killing myself.

After a week of sobriety, I'm still a bit weakened, so I haven't gone through the worst yet. Wish me luck with this, folks. Yeah, I'm still keeping late hours on weekends, but now I'm fueled with coffee, bottled water and green tea. I'm also getting lots of helpful support from my family and friends.

And yes, I'm enjoying my gaming much much more now.
wings7

RE: OT Celebrating Sobriety

Post by wings7 »

Good luck Glenn, be strong and be healthy! [:)] You are what you eat and don't forget about your teeth [X(]. You are in my prayers.

Patrick
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
TulliusDetritus

Post by TulliusDetritus »

You deserve a lot of respect for airing this [:)]

Good luck and er... stay sober!
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
Zovs

Post by Zovs »

I am also a recovering alcoholic, it's a long hard road, even when family, friends, your wife (exe) have let you down or leave you it's impossible to make it without faith. Personally I don't care what anyone says but without God you'll never make through this life or the next.

With that said, I have a had a few lapses back, but since my divorce I have not touched it. A few years back I almost died from dehydration as well, it was coffee that was killing, I thought well I am drinking 2-3 pots a day why would I need water, boy was that almost a fatal mistake.

Take care of your body, exercise, eat as well as you can, drink plenty of water, and take care of your mind and soul.

The toughest times are when you will be alone, wanting to subdue the pain with drink, but the pain will always come back, in a day or three, you have to face the pain with the love of God and the Lord will pull you through.

I also recommend AA for a support group or a local church, you'll need a sponsor when you have your car parked outside of the liquor store and you have given up on life and want to go buy a bottle, use the phone first and they should be able to talk you down.

I hope no one makes light of this post, if they do they don't understand what a dark, lonely and tormenting road to recovery this is.

There is light at the end.
Beta Tester for: War in the East 1 & 2, WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific, Valor & Victory, Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm, Computer War In Europe 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator
decaro

Post by decaro »

KG, although its only been a week, a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
Sounds like yours began on the right foot.
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

Best of luck for you Glenn, beating this particular monster takes no small amount of strength. I've had friends who recently beat up their smoking monsters and they have had no small amount of improvement in their quality of life too.

Every day spent NOT drinking, is the same as giving your family another day with you.

It won't make it easier, but it will at least give you the reason to fight on. Just remember, you get something out of it, but your friends and family get something out of it too.
Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.
vonRocko

Post by vonRocko »

That's a good start! Good luck.
Josh

Post by Josh »

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

You deserve a lot of respect for airing this [:)]

Well said, a lot of respect.
Best of luck KG.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Yes, good luck indeed.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

+1

parusski

Post by parusski »

That is wonderful Glenn. My sister who is 46 has been an alcoholic since she was 21. She has been sober for 2 years, and you can be too. Good luck.
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
rhondabrwn

Post by rhondabrwn »

It takes real courage to share this with us... and, as obvious from the above postings, we all stand with you as you confront this life crisis!

You can do it, dear friend!

If there is any support or encouragement I can provide... don't hesitate to contact me!

Stay strong Glenn... you have so much to live for... and so many games to play as well [:)]
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(
Raindog101

Post by Raindog101 »

Quitting alcohol is easy. I've done it 100 times.
baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 »

Clean and sober since 2008. I started trying to get clean in 2002. A sponser was the best thing I ever did. One day at a time.
JRR
bairdlander2

Post by bairdlander2 »

I hate the hangovers,I go too hard,drink 20+ beers at a time,but not everyday,maybe once a month,Im whats called a "binge" alcoholic,can go months without,but when I get going I go hard
Werewolf13

Post by Werewolf13 »

I've got a great deal of experience dealing with alcoholics. My mother and my father in law were both alcoholics and it killed both of them.

I understand the sentiment in wishing KG "good luck" but people beating alcohol isn't about luck as I'm sure KG knows. It's about self control, strength and a real desire to kick the habit. KG has taken the first steps. He's shown the desire, the strength and the self control. Good on him.

Stick with it KG. Never give up and there will be time you'll want to. But never - give - up!. Don't let a chemical beat you down. It won't be easy and don't ever count on LUCK!

Many good wishes to you for taking the 1st step.

And don't ever forget:

Count on yourself to beat it.
Freedom is not free! Nor should it be. For men being men will neither fight for nor value that which is free.

Michael Andress
AbwehrX

Post by AbwehrX »

Thanks KG for airing your struggle here. I wish you the best of luck. Wargaming is vastly more important than self medicating or getting a buzz from false sources like drugs or booze. We obtain a much superior high by conquest of evil adversaries and it shall remain so forever! Banzai! [:D]
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

There's some very good advice here, my own father gave me such advice. He can count the days he's been sober and it' been 20 odd years. Don't take it lightly, confront it head on. Get support where you can, (dad had a church based group to help him), if you fail, keep it up and try again. All the best.

Jeff
History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
SuluSea

Post by SuluSea »

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

For the first time in over 30 years, I'm completely sober now. Haven't touched a drink in over a week, and as yet I have no desire for alcohol. You see, I spent five days in the hospital after I nearly died from dehydration. The thing is, I'm a Type I diabetic, and all these years of alcohol abuse finally caught up with me. Last Thursday I was so out of control that I couldn't even drink water without throwing it back up. My blood sugar that night was 700!! It took something like this for me to finally realize I was slowly killing myself.

After a week of sobriety, I'm still a bit weakened, so I haven't gone through the worst yet. Wish me luck with this, folks. Yeah, I'm still keeping late hours on weekends, but now I'm fueled with coffee, bottled water and green tea. I'm also getting lots of helpful support from my family and friends.

And yes, I'm enjoying my gaming much much more now.

Keep it rolling KG Erwin!!

Everything is better without alcohol. I just passed 4 months myself. The type of medicines I'm on I wasn't supposed to be drinking anyway but that never stopped me.

I finally realized I don't need the stuff to have a good time a few months before hanging it up when I got sick and was hospitalized.

I'll never drink again and hope you continue putting alcohol free days behind you.
"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Thank God you made the decision. My sister-in-law was 46 when her liver failed from cirrhosis. She drank straight vodka out of water tumblers. Has to be some kind of record.

Ten years ago, I was good for five beers (every single day), 12 cigs, and 10 Vicoden (100 mg a day). After a discussion with the Lord, the alcohol and cigs were the easiest things I ever quit. The narcotics were tough though.

My key to success - once the withdrawals lessen, just don't think about it.

Return to “General Discussion”