Question about upgrades in long DCG

John Tiller's Campaign Series exemplifies tactical war-gaming at its finest by bringing you the entire collection of TalonSoft's award-winning campaign series. Containing TalonSoft's West Front, East Front, and Rising Sun platoon-level combat series, as well as all of the official add-ons and expansion packs, the Matrix Edition allows players to dictate the events of World War II from the tumultuous beginning to its climatic conclusion. We are working together with original programmer John Tiller to bring you this updated edition.

Moderators: Jason Petho, Peter Fisla, asiaticus, dogovich

James Ward

Question about upgrades in long DCG

Post by James Ward »

I have never played a DCG long enough to actually get equipment upgrades. The manual says they are automatic so i assume you get them at some point. I started a full EF DCG in the South. I have some questions.
Is the equipment upgrade path fixed for the original unit, like regiment a,b etc or the specific division the that was chosen at the beginning of the Campaign?
Will a PZ IIIG upgrade along the PZ III line to an H or an L or can it upgrade to the PZ IV series before the end of the series?
Do units ever upgrade to 'special' models like Tiger or King Tiger?
Is there a good mix of upgrades? That is can some TD upgrade to Marder while others upgrade to Stug or JzP in the same formation or will all TD's (or tanks) in my Regiment always upgrade to the same model eventually?
Thanks.
Tidavis

RE: Question about upgrades in long DCG

Post by Tidavis »

Upgrades are a sticky issue with DCG's. Company upgrades are fine. IE instead of a single platoon upgrading a whole Company gets an upgrade at once.

Single platoon upgrades are a mess. Especially if you are using one of the Talonsoft organizations. If you are using one of the MCS orgs you should be fine.

Yes if you start off with Pz III's in 41 they will eventually upgrade to Pz IVH and Pz V. Only way to get King Tigers is to play the late war DCG's Storm on the Reich and On to Vienna because they iirc, never belonged to any Divisional formation.

StG's and Marders. They belong to two different kinds of units. First are Anti Tank units and second are Assault Gun Units. The Marders eventually end up JgPz 38t and JgPz IV's in some cases. The Stg's pretty much stay the same after they upgrade to IIIG's.

I would recommend opening up the .ccx file of your campaign and looking through. The .ccx is the same as the .ccd but is unneeded. You can delete without problem. A new one is generated for each new mission anyway.
James Ward

RE: Question about upgrades in long DCG

Post by James Ward »

Thanks.

Return to “John Tiller's Campaign Series”