OT - Tom Clancy passes

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Encircled

RE: OT - Tom Clancy passes

Post by Encircled »

Read "Red Storm Rising" after a friend who was in the RN recommended it me.

His last good book was "The Bear and the Dragon" (but that wasn't anywhere near as good as Red Storm Rising).

RIP
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

RIP Jack Ryan ... going to miss him.
Pax
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Not a great writer but a good story teller with a good knowledge of the details. May not have been the warmest person to know either.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
joey

Post by joey »

I was underway when The Hunt for Red October was released. I was amazed at how it replicated life on a submarine. It was such an amazing book. I read Red Storm Rising also underway. What a great book. For me his best was the Cardinal in the Kremlin. I am not sure which sub I was on when that one was released. He so help the time go by while on patrol. I will miss him. RIP Tom.
Apollo11

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,
ORIGINAL: Encircled

Read "Red Storm Rising" after a friend who was in the RN recommended it me.

His last good book was "The Bear and the Dragon" (but that wasn't anywhere near as good as Red Storm Rising).

RIP

That was the last book I own and have read from him...

I have the following books (bough years and years ago):

WWIII:

Red Storm Rising

Jack Ryan:

Without Remorse
Red Rabbit
The Hunt for Red October
The Cardinal of the Kremlin
Clear and Present Danger
The Sum of All Fears
Debt of Honor
Executive Orders
Rainbow Six
The Bear and the Dragon

I didn't buy new Jack Ryan books:

The Teeth of the Tiger
Dead or Alive
Locked On
Threat Vector
Command Authority

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

I was watching "Hunt for Red October" in the airplane yesterday and then I realized.. big deal with those stealth drives; just turn on the active sonar and that huge carrier sized sub will appear in the screens

I also remember, quite fondly, an 80s submarine game called "Red Storm Rising".. I remember piece-meal sinking the entire soviet navy with my improved LA class sub [:)]
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

There was a Hunt for Red October game as well. Pretty lame. I bought it and played it about a hour or so.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: Jorge_Stanbury

I was watching "Hunt for Red October" in the airplane yesterday and then I realized.. big deal with those stealth drives; just turn on the active sonar and that huge carrier sized sub will appear in the screens

I also remember, quite fondly, an 80s submarine game called "Red Storm Rising".. I remember piece-meal sinking the entire soviet navy with my improved LA class sub [:)]

Absolutely. As long as you knew pretty much where it was before you turned on the SONAR. Active SONAR requires LOTS of power. That means very short range. And it tells everybody where you are before you know where THEY are. Thing of it as using a small penlight in a big field on a dark night. If you cover every inch of the field you MIGHT find what you are looking for. Provided that it's a small, dumb inanimate object. Anything else is going to see you coming , and avoid you.

Passive SONAR covers massive distances , and no one knows you are using it because it's , well, passive. You use passive SONAR to get you close enough to use ACTIVE SONAR as a "bombsight".

As an instructor of mine at the Aviation ASW school once told me , Passive SONAR is ranged in thousands of yards , and frequently nautical miles. Active is ranged in yards , occasionally hundreds of yards.

And like I said , it uses LOTS of power. A helo-Sonar operator (SH-3 Seaking , using dipping active SONAR) once put it to me...."a Destroyer goes BBBBBOOONNNGGGG!!!!!!...a dipping helo goes BANG! an active SONOBOUY goes tink!"....[:D] That's pretty limiting unless you have a couple of squadrons of Destroyers and their dipping helo's to work with. [8|]
wegman58

Post by wegman58 »

Old thread, but I took a week long Security Officer course once upon a time (early 90's). The most memorable things was the Walker kid telling everyone how easy it was and the talk Clancy gave at the CIA. VERY interesting. I wonder if they still use it.
Bill Goin
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: tocaff

RIP

A man who wrote some great stuff and did the research. I loved all of the earlier books and have reread them with pleasure. Once the coauthored books rolled off the presses he lost me because it wasn't him writing anymore.

I feel the same way. I miss his earlier fictional works especially.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: nashvillen

He was a big smoker. Love his work. Red Storm Rising is such a great novel on what the cold war could turn into. And very prophetic in what Desert Storm became.

RIP

I quit sucking that pesticide a year ago. I almost wish we'd make those e-cigarettes controlled substances. RIP Tom

Treetop64

Post by Treetop64 »

Sad news.

Read many of his books while I was in the hospital years ago. Red Storm Rising. Red October. Debt of Honor. Executive Decision. I think I squeezed the Cardinal in there before discharge, too. Debt and Executive actually read like one large book, as Executive was really a continuation and picked up exactly where Debt left off. Some great stuff in there.

Thanks, Mr. Clancy. RIP.
btd64

Post by btd64 »

ORIGINAL: Treetop64

Sad news.

Read many of his books while I was in the hospital years ago. Red Storm Rising. Red October. Debt of Honor. Executive Decision. I think I squeezed the Cardinal in there before discharge, too. Debt and Executive actually read like one large book, as Executive was really a continuation and picked up exactly where Debt left off. Some great stuff in there.

Thanks, Mr. Clancy. RIP.

Read Red Storm Rising the second time when I was in the Hospital last year....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
Symon

Post by Symon »

He was a big smoker. Love his work. Red Storm Rising is such a great novel on what the cold war could turn into. And very prophetic in what Desert Storm became.

RIP
So are a lot of us. A good writer with a socio/politacal spark.

Heard he passed, so while I was doing some grilled chicken for encheladas, I was sitting on the back beck and thought I might just light up in his honor.

Had a Coral y Vega (Garcia y Vega) double corona, with cubanotobac filler and a dominican wrapper. Sat and smoked that for a long time, thinking about Tom and his impact on the thoughts of the usual suspects.

He was one of the best. He came from nowhere, but he got righteous right quick. A simple man who could put complex issues into a context we all could understand.

He's another one I will have to remember when I smoke.
Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

He actually passed away 11 months ago, as reported in the original post. The thread had lain dormant for nearly a year when somebody picked it up to comment about the quality of Clancy's writing. I'm sure most of the folks posting here today realize this is now "older news," but from the tone of a couple of posts it seems like a few folks think this is breaking news.

I have a list of Top Ten Books that I've read. It changes a bit and shifts from time to time, but Red Storm Rising has been on that list since I first read the novel. The Hunt for Red October and Patriot Games were also very good. Some of his later stuff seemed awful by comparison.

By the way, I recently read The Guns at Last Light by Rick Atkinson. I think that received good but not great reviews in various posts on the forum. I thought the book outstanding. That's the first Atkinson book that I've read. Knowing he's written many others, and now familiar with his ability as a writer and historian, I'm looking forward to reading more. I think he's in the same league as Cornelius Ryan and Stephen Ambrose. That's about the highest compliment that I can pay him.

Good books are treasures!
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

RIP

I quit sucking that pesticide a year ago. I almost wish we'd make those e-cigarettes controlled substances. And the snuff. And the chew. That stuff is poison. I was just reading that tobacco field workers have to cover themselves with plastic (trash bags and the like) because dew on the leaves is suffused with nicotine and if it gets on their skin they can get severely ill. We should outlaw those nicotinoids too. We now know that it's the prime cause of bee colony collapse disorder. If everybody likes to eat now and then, we better keep those guys around. Moon santo is its own worst enemy. I guess they'll just GMO some self pollinating food crops. Maybe they'll make clones of everything, patent them then sell them to us plant by plant. Or start producing soylent green.[:@]

RIP Tom

Wow, you're in rare form with claptrap, geofflambert. Why doncha tone down the political nonsense on this RIP thread? [:-]
Apollo11

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,

Funny how old threads resurrect...

Leo "Apollo11"

P.S.
Had to check the date...

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE
oldman45

Post by oldman45 »

I can't believe its almost been a year.... where does the time go.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”