Thoughts on Version 0.7.26.1

This forum supports the Early Access Program for the PC for Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager (SPM). iOS, Android and Mac releases are still in development. SPM is the ultimate game of space exploration. It is the mid 1950s and the race for dominance between the US and the Soviet Union is about to move into a new dimension: space. Take charge of the US or Soviet space agencies - your duty is be the first to the moon. Carefully manage your budget by opening programs, spending R&D funds on improving the hardware, recruiting personnel and astronauts and launching space missions in this realistic turn based strategy game.

Moderator: MOD_BuzzAldrin

jimmyPx

Thoughts on Version 0.7.26.1

Post by jimmyPx »

Hi Everyone,

I've played a bunch with new version 0.7.26.1 and here are my thoughts:

1st Looking great guys--fabulous work and the game is looking better and better.

2nd I LOVE the new personnel screens as well as the automatic training option--it has really cut down on the micromanagement which is good.

3rd I really like that astronauts have to rest after a mission but one suggestion is that now after a mission they are just gone from your astronaut personnel list. For example, I flew a Gemini mission with 2 astronauts and the next season it says that I have 7 astronauts but only 5 show and when done resting they show back up. My suggestion is instead of making them disappear could you still list them and just change their status as unavailable and recuperating or resting or debriefing (similar to when they are training says unavailable, advanced training) ??

4th Regarding personnel starting stats, I think these need to be tweaked. I love having guys with 90+ light bulbs who learn fast but in the current version I think that a 90+ person should be rarer but I also think that the starting stats are too low. For example, if my starting astronauts need YEARS of training just to fly a mission why were they picked to be astronauts ?? Ditto with scientists and flight controllers. What I'd like is you get a couple 90+ light bulb controllers to start and train to be flight controllers (who did need years of training) and then have like a guy who has a light bulb in the 60s but starts at 70 in propulsion. Same thing with astronauts--have a pilot and fitness skill in the 80s but low eva, science, and leadership and light bulb lower in the 60s and 70s.

5th It's probably way to late in the development process but in real life astronauts were picked for a mission at least a year ahead of it and trained like mad and had backup crews. It would be neat if you had to plan missions at least a year out and had primary and backup crews and have events where sometimes an astronaut dies in a plane crash or gets sick and the backup must take over (like with Mattingly in Apollo 13).
You could rush missions but would take a good performance hit.
like I said, probably way too late to implement but would be neat and more real life.

Looking great and except for a few tweaks, it's almost there.
Jim Power
Nacho84

RE: Thoughts on Version 0.7.26.1

Post by Nacho84 »

Hello Jim,

Good to hear you liked the latest patch!

Regarding your third point, the behaviour you're seeing in 0.7.26.1 is actually a bug. It's fixed now, in the next patch you'll get an icon in order to view astronauts who are in their rest season. See this thread.

Regarding your fourth point, we're planning to do further tweaking to the stats in the upcoming patches.

About the last point: it's certainly a good idea, but I cannot promise it for release. We need to send the Gold Master to Slitherine in a month so the next four weeks will mostly involve tying up the loose ends.

Cheers,
Ignacio Liverotti
Lead Developer of Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager
Polar Motion

www.polar-motion.com
spm.slitherine.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/PolarMotion
kokubokan25

RE: Thoughts on Version 0.7.26.1

Post by kokubokan25 »

Yes please, tweak the ratios of the personnel, are very very low at start. Or at least give them ONE great ratio above 60 or so.

Return to “Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager”