Sid Meier's Pirates! Live The Life (2004)

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

wings7

Sid Meier's Pirates! Live The Life (2004)

Post by wings7 »

I was browsing Steam the other day and found "Sid Meier's Pirates! Live The Life (2004)". A wonderful (can be repetitive) little game and was about to purchase it. Then I thought I think I purchased the physical version back in 2005. So I searched my game archive and lo and behold there it was in all it's glory! I cracked open the box and it had a game map and a game guide, a spiraled game guide!! [:)] My point of all this is it would be nice to have physical games with game guides again (not many left)...I understand in today's world, with the cost of paper going thru the roof, keeping costs low to keep the share holders happy and on and on [:(]...I can only dream and keep all my physical boxed games (some Apple II games) that I have bought over the years...[:)]

Patrick

PS. That is why I'm so attracted to Matrix, they publish terrific games and still produce some with game guides!! [:)] I would pay extra for spiraled guides!!
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
Orm

RE: Sid Meier's Pirates! Live The Life (2004)

Post by Orm »

I do understand you. I miss the games with well made game maps, laminated charts and rule books.

I recently played Sid Meier's Pirates! Live The Life (2004) again. And it was fun for a while but because it was the original version the fencing and dancing was way to fast on the higher difficulties. When computers get faster then such games get harder without modification.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

And grease pencils, don't forget the grease pencils with those laminated maps. [:'(] I just remember what the publishers of SSI said when CD's and CDroms first came out. How it was going to change the industry and make everything "cheaper" lol boy was that a hype and scam. Now, it's digital and no cd's and really no dvd's. I wonder what will be next? Cloud games? No downloading required? No media at all? Just stream the games you want to play from a massive library of games?
gradenko2k

Post by gradenko2k »

It also happens to be Talk Like a Pirate Day today!
terje439

Post by terje439 »

ORIGINAL: Orm
And it was fun for a while but because it was the original version the fencing and dancing was way to fast on the higher difficulties.

My main issue with the dancing is that;
a) it becomes a rather large part of the game
b) it is plain boring

So tbhm I wish they had found another way for the romance interaction in the game.

The game itself is pretty nice though, and give me nice flashbacks to the C64 days, and let's face it, we all want to be pirates [;)]

Terje
"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")
terje439

Post by terje439 »

ORIGINAL: gradenko_2000

It also happens to be Talk Like a Pirate Day today!

The best "international anything"-day beside May 4th [;)]

Terje
"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")
gradenko2k

Post by gradenko2k »

ORIGINAL: terje439
My main issue with the dancing is that;
a) it becomes a rather large part of the game
b) it is plain boring
What reinvigorated the game for me was finding a trainer that basically automated and aced the dancing sequences every time.
chemkid

Post by chemkid »

bairdlander2

Post by bairdlander2 »

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

And grease pencils, don't forget the grease pencils with those laminated maps. [:'(] I just remember what the publishers of SSI said when CD's and CDroms first came out. How it was going to change the industry and make everything "cheaper" lol boy was that a hype and scam. Now, it's digital and no cd's and really no dvd's. I wonder what will be next? Cloud games? No downloading required? No media at all? Just stream the games you want to play from a massive library of games?

Attachments
images.jpg
images.jpg (10.76 KiB) Viewed 93 times
wings7

Post by wings7 »

ORIGINAL: chemkid
I would pay extra for spiraled guides!!
@wings7 - i know excacly how you feel.
just ordered my 'To End All Wars' manual as a spiral-bound book in pocket format at my favorite print-on-demand-service... [:)]

That's a great idea! Thanks for that! [:)]

Patrick
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Wow I just found that green dot thing! I'm so thankful for that. Bye bye Baird.....gone forever in the sea of whatever you were lol. [:D]

Return to “General Discussion”