Sync bug: effect on Tracker, Combat Reporter, Intel Monkey

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Panjack

Sync bug: effect on Tracker, Combat Reporter, Intel Monkey

Post by Panjack »

After just a couple of turns in our PBEM game, Q-Ball and I have encountered the sync bug, where the replay (maybe only for Allies?) gives results different from the game save.

Tracker uses data from the game save, right? And so Tracker info is still valid even with the sync bug?

But Combat Reporter and Intel Monkey use the reports generated by the replay and, so, this information is invalid for days the sync bug hits, right?

What is the simplest way to tell when the sync bug has gone away?
JocMeister

RE: Sync bug: effect on Tracker, Combat Reporter, Intel Monkey

Post by JocMeister »

Have the Japanese player send you his CR with the turnfile. That way you can easily compare them. I find inconsistencies very regularly, probably as often as every tenth turn or so. After wasting 2 hours watching a huge naval battle that never took place I always glance through the CR before watching the replay.

EDIT: Intel Monkey and Combat reporter are effected by the syncbug unless you overwrite your CR with the one from the Japanese player.
Panjack

Post by Panjack »

Much thanks. Is the J combat report the same as the A combat report?
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

ORIGINAL: Panjack

Much thanks. Is the J combat report the same as the A combat report?

No, the combat reports are generated by the replay. So if you are suffering from sync problems the allied replay AND combat report will be out of sync. That is why its advisable to compare the allied replay/CR with the Japanese one.
Panjack

Post by Panjack »

I was so unclear. What I wanted to say: in a ideal world, when the sync bug doesn't exist, is the combat report seen by the J player identical to that seen by the A player? Or do the two reports (generated in the absence of the sync bug) include different information driven by different doses of FOW?
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

I was so unclear. What I wanted to say: in a ideal world, when the sync bug doesn't exist, is the combat report seen by the J player identical to that seen by the A player? Or do the two reports (generated in the absence of the sync bug) include different information driven by different doses of FOW?

Yes - if there is no bug occurring, the combat report text files will be identical. That's why if you suspect a glitch, you should compare them. What the Japanese player sees in their replay and text file is always accurate (well, it has fog of war, but it's what the game was "supposed" to output for the Allied player as well).
Panjack

Post by Panjack »

This is interesting.

Three possibilities seem to exist: the information in combat reports
(1) Matches reality in both Allied and Japanese combat reports,
(2) Is subjected to FOW...and the FOW is the same for both players, and
(3) Is subjected to FOW...and the FOW differs for the two players.

Am I to understand that #2 is the case? If so, how do the combat reports match up (or not) with the information reported in the game about, for instance, the number of aircraft shot down in the game (said information used to calculate the game score)?
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Intel Monkey uses the reports that are in the 'archive' sub-folder underneath the 'save' folder. Have a look in there to see the naming convention that the game uses when making those files. If you get a sync bug and want to replace one or more of those combat report files with one(s) sent to you by the Japanese player, you can do that. Just get the name right.

But the Japanese player can't send you the Allied Intel report, because their version of your Intel report is always blank (and vice versa).
Panjack

Post by Panjack »

ORIGINAL: JocMeister
EDIT: Intel Monkey and Combat reporter are effected by the syncbug unless you overwrite your CR with the one from the Japanese player.
It will still be the case, right, that the operations reports (generated by the replay and saved in a txt file) will be still be wrong and, so, what Combat Reporter says about these things will be wrong.

Yet with the sync bug the Sigint generated by the replay will be true (is it always true?) but might differ from the sigint reported in the game. If true, is it possible that the sych bug will generate even more sigint for the allied player than he would otherwise get?
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

I have no idea if the sync bug affects the SigInt report or not.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Let me add that, because the sync bug affects the course of the replay, and the replay produces all of the Allied reports to reflect what happened in the replay, then any Allied report could be affected by the sync bug.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: witpqs

Let me add that, because the sync bug affects the course of the replay, and the replay produces all of the Allied reports to reflect what happened in the replay, then any Allied report could be affected by the sync bug.

Agree, however I don't think you'll notice much difference in the operations report, aside from planes being damaged from landing and the like.

Bases being built should complete at the same rate 99% of the time, and reinforcements will always arrive as scheduled. Same with units due to withdraw.
Panjack

Post by Panjack »

Thanks for all your replys.

But is it a certain fact the Japanese Combat Report is identical to the Allied Combat Report? I don't want to ask for the combat report from Q-Ball unless this is true.

I see in the SAVE directory you have Japanese and Allied txt files for operations and signint: Joperationsreport, Aoperationsreport, Jsignint, Asigint. But only a single txt file exists for combat report and for combat events. This suggests J and A see the same combat reports.
Spidery

Post by Spidery »

This is interesting.

Three possibilities seem to exist: the information in combat reports
(1) Matches reality in both Allied and Japanese combat reports,
(2) Is subjected to FOW...and the FOW is the same for both players, and
(3) Is subjected to FOW...and the FOW differs for the two players.

Am I to understand that #2 is the case? If so, how do the combat reports match up (or not) with the information reported in the game about, for instance, the number of aircraft shot down in the game (said information used to calculate the game score)?
#2 I believe is the case.

On the first page of the info screen the stats shown are the same for both players except for the ships sunk and their total value. On the air losses and ship losses sub-screens they will differ. You will have accurate information for your side and inaccurate information for the other side.

The air losses in the combat reports are, generally, understated for both sides. Land losses are, generally, overstated.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

Thanks for all your replys.

But is it a certain fact the Japanese Combat Report is identical to the Allied Combat Report? I don't want to ask for the combat report from Q-Ball unless this is true.

I see in the SAVE directory you have Japanese and Allied txt files for operations and signint: Joperationsreport, Aoperationsreport, Jsignint, Asigint. But only a single txt file exists for combat report and for combat events. This suggests J and A see the same combat reports.

If you have no sync bug, the combat replay text files will be identical.
leehunt27@bloomberg.net

Post by leehunt27@bloomberg.net »

I think the Japanese player hitting the "ESC" key during the combat replay is a problem. I've seen that before on the forums and experienced it in one of my own games. I can't technically verify it though. As the Allies I did not see a major carrier battle during the replay, but it was in the combat text report. I didn't know until I checked one of my CV's and half its fighters were gone!

To avoid it I always mouseclick on "Done". Maybe more tedious but no problems.
John 21:25
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: leehunt27@bloomberg.net

I think the Japanese player hitting the "ESC" key during the combat replay is a problem. I've seen that before on the forums and experienced it in one of my own games. I can't technically verify it though. As the Allies I did not see a major carrier battle during the replay, but it was in the combat text report. I didn't know until I checked one of my CV's and half its fighters were gone!

To avoid it I always mouseclick on "Done". Maybe more tedious but no problems.

I only use the escape key, and I use it a bunch. Only had 1, maybe 2, sync bugs in my Japan game.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”