Research Reloaded - [DWU][WIP][beta soon] New huge research tree, new everything

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

PsyKoSnake

RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research tree, new everything...

Post by PsyKoSnake »

Is it possible to make a combined Mining engine.

Like gaz + lux / Mineral + Lux.

But i dont know how the Ai would handle this.
Kizucha

Post by Kizucha »

In that case i would prefer a change that enable that we can build mines without the other mine engines and only with lux.[:)]
lurchi

Post by lurchi »

ORIGINAL: PsyKoSnake

Is it possible to make a combined Mining engine.

Nope, not possible.
lurchi

Post by lurchi »

ORIGINAL: Kizucha

In that case i would prefer a change that enable that we can build mines without the other mine engines and only with lux.[:)]

You can already do that, no need to change anything. Please note that auto upgrading will get rid of special mines, though. [;)]
Kizucha

Post by Kizucha »

[X(] Its already possible? What update i missed?[:D]Auto upgrading is no problem for me, so far i never used it.
Cmiller

Post by Cmiller »

Wow, I cant believe its almost done! Great job lurchi, I too would like to test your mod out, its so...huge. Btw, will you still consider my idea of fighters with ion weapons?

Edit: Or maybe fighters with rail guns and beams too. And any other special weapons you might've added to this mod [:)]

Cmiller
lurchi

Post by lurchi »

Yeah, I already thought about alternate fighter weapons and added those.
Alas there's a problem. Officially fighters only can have missiles, torpedoes or beam weapons. Special weapon properties don't work for fighters. I can give them another name and their weapons a certain damage and range, that's it. So disabling ships with ion bombers is not possible. [:(]
Joshwoo69

Post by Joshwoo69 »

Add me to the list of testers thanks![:)]
Wile false do
Turtle.print ( KSP )
End
DinoSaurus

Post by DinoSaurus »

Well, but maybe you could add a final and very expensive research project with high-damage beam weapons or so?
NephilimNexus

Post by NephilimNexus »

Suggestion for improving the pre-warp stage:

#1) Drop the Warp Bubble speed from 2000 down to 500 and make it an even bigger energy hog.

#2) Place a new type of warp engine between the Warp Bubble and the Gerax Hyperdrive, with the old Warp Bubble stats and research cost.

#3) Make the research cost on the new Warp Bubble really cheap, so it can be learned in a year or less.

What this does:

It let's players get entry level warp tech faster than before, but does so in a way that still almost completely restricts them to their home system. Thus it extends the pre-warp tier while making it more interesting, as ships will now have enough speed to build mining bases in your home system, even if they lack the fuel to go beyond it.

See, the drag of the pre-warp phase is two things: Waiting forever for the basic Warp Bubble (which is way overpriced in vanilla), and the tedious drag of trying to get your initial mining bases built with ships that can barely do a speed of 20. This solves both of those problems, as it makes the first step of warp cheap & quick to access, which in turn lets you get into building up your home system faster. It is balanced by the severely limited range that probably won't get you to even the next system over unless you overload your ships with fuel tanks, which in turn makes them useless anyway.

The regular Warp Bubble isn't removed per se, it's name gets changed & it stats instead are simply moved up a notch so players still do have to learn it. This extends the research timeline a little, but that's okay because now people won't get bored with it.

Unrelated: Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't some of those icon graphics from EvE Online?
lurchi

Post by lurchi »

ORIGINAL: DinoSaurus

Well, but maybe you could add a final and very expensive research project with high-damage beam weapons or so?

Already done.
lurchi

Post by lurchi »

ORIGINAL: NephilimNexus

Suggestion for improving the pre-warp stage:

I like the idea. It'll be added to the beta, let's see what people think about it.
ORIGINAL: NephilimNexus

Unrelated: Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't some of those icon graphics from EvE Online?

All save the still to be replaced vanilla ones, yes.
Cmiller

Post by Cmiller »

I like NephilimNexus's idea. It lengthens the Pre-warp era, and makes it more interesting at the same time. +1 for Nexus's idea [:)]. Its a real shame we can't have ion bombers, oh well. Maybe Eric can implement that into modding one day. But not having them isn't too big a deal.

One thing I'm really interested in is the larger ship sizes. I look at your teasers, and there's still another half of the tech tree you haven't shown us. Are we looking at ship sizes at Death Star level and beyond! And with all these new weapons types added...gosh I could make something so enormously powerful I might just wet my pants 100s of times over. Which leads me to this question:

I'm assuming you've been play testing tons of times over. So how are the AI handling the new components you've been adding. Are they designing their ships adequately, and are they fitting theirs ships to maximum size possible. With all that extra size, I would hope the AI have some pretty bad-ass death ships to blow my socks off, if you know what I mean [;)]. Anyway, that's all I wanted to ask. Great job on your mod. Am very excited to give it a try.

Cmiller
lurchi

Post by lurchi »

NephilimNexus's idea is already implemented.

Max ship size is... larger than vanilla. I only began with balancing some components, so I'm not sure yet how large exactly. I could make them really gigantic, but that would enable building near indestructible planet destroyers, something I want to avoid at all costs. I think those things should have an Achilles' heel. Well, I have some ideas for large late game ships. I'll manage somehow. [:D]

You'd be surprised at how much I played DW lately. Basically not at all due to lack of time. [:(]

I sure tested though, the AI does research and use the new tech. I have Icemania for final balancing, so you can look forward to a Research Reloaded / Ai Improvement combo. I'm very sure this will be very challenging.
Kizucha

Post by Kizucha »

Sad lurchi.[:)] I remember that from an other place... i have done some modding for rimworld and in the time i work on the mod i have not played the game at all.[:D] I name it the "modding"-disease.[;)]

By the way, i have not played with the ai improvement mod, does it make the ai smarter in someway's or only change the design-use?

Sadly i like to play DW too but i cant play it vanilla because of the lak of good research mods.[;)] Happyly after lurchis mod is done i can play the game to the death again.[:)]
lurchi

Post by lurchi »

Modding disease... Yeah, sounds about right. [:D]

The AI researches and designs smarter increasing the difficulty considerably.

Heh, it'll take a reaaally long time to try out all the tech combinations and strategies they enable. [:)]
Hawkeye_BF

Post by Hawkeye_BF »

Would be really great if you can add me to list of people who test your mod ;)

Joshwoo69

Post by Joshwoo69 »

ORIGINAL: Kizucha

Sad lurchi.[:)] I remember that from an other place... i have done some modding for rimworld and in the time i work on the mod i have not played the game at all.[:D] I name it the "modding"-disease.[;)]

By the way, i have not played with the ai improvement mod, does it make the ai smarter in someway's or only change the design-use?

Sadly i like to play DW too but i cant play it vanilla because of the lak of good research mods.[;)] Happyly after lurchis mod is done i can play the game to the death again.[:)]
I had a modding disease after making my mod: flagpole. Then after the many releases, I decided to pass to mrofa for maintaing. On turn integrating with his mod. And I stopped playing rimworld. [:(]
Wile false do
Turtle.print ( KSP )
End
Kizucha

Post by Kizucha »

ORIGINAL: Joshwoo69
I had a modding disease after making my mod: flagpole. Then after the many releases, I decided to pass to mrofa for maintaing. On turn integrating with his mod. And I stopped playing rimworld. [:(]

Oh that way i remember, i made the clutter mod from mrofa compatible for the TTM mod from minami, it was my main work on the "modding scene" in rimworld and for me, an modding beginner it was a lot of work. Now i'm nearly at your point, i love rimworld but... somehow i lost my motivation to play it.[:(] Maybe later in the development of rimworld in the beta or the release version i start again.[:D]

In that way, i'm really really happy that i have no idea how to mod DW so its safe for me that i can play it in the future with cool mods and stuff.[;)]
lurchi

Post by lurchi »

Here's a little update. I was quite busy - again - but will do some error checking and balancing the next days. I can't add the still missing components yet, since DW crashes with more than 256, so we need to be patient.

Return to “Design and Modding”