This great game is only going to get better..

Commander - The Great War is the latest release in the popular and playable Commander series of historical strategy games. Gamers will enjoy a huge hex based campaign map that stretches from the USA in the west, Africa and Arabia to the south, Scandinavia to the north and the Urals to the east on a new engine that is more efficient and fully supports widescreen resolutions.
Commander – The Great War features a Grand Campaign covering the whole of World War I from the invasion of Belgium on August 5, 1914 to the Armistice on the 11th of November 1918 in addition to 16 different unit types including Infantry, Cavalry, Armoured Cars and Tanks, Artillery, Railroad Guns and Armoured Trains and more!

Moderators: Lord Zimoa, MOD_Commander_The_Great_War

kirk23

New art for HMS Warspite.

Post by kirk23 »

Queen Elizabeth class ready to buy via the production screen.[;)]

Attachments
BritishBa..onpanel.jpg
BritishBa..onpanel.jpg (214.38 KiB) Viewed 245 times
Make it so!
warspite1

RE: Free Upkeep?

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: kirk23

This is for Warspite1.Your name sake Warspite in all her glory.[:)]

I took a photo off this miniature that I have in my warship collection,this is the British Dreadnought/Battleship Queen Elizabeth class,I have spent a good few hours, pain stakingly doing the art,and adding it to the game,all in 3D.I hope you guys approve,I'm not saying this art will make it into the game for general release,if it does then fantastic,if not well I will make that art freely available to anyone who wants to use it.Oh by the way,I'm also working on 3D art for the German navy as well as other Nations watch this space.[:)]

warspite1

$%^& ME!!!

That is fantastic kirk23 [:)][&o][:)][&o].

So a plea /request /beg /bribe /threaten to Lord Zimoa - THIS WORK HAS TO BE IN THE OFFICIAL PATCH. FOR THOSE OF US WITH A LOVE, A PASSION, FOR HISTORY, PLEASE DO WHATEVER YOU CAN TO ALLOW THIS UPGRADE IN THE GAME. THIS KIND OF WORK JUST ADDS SO MUCH FROM AN AESTHETIC VIEW POINT.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Cataphract88

Post by Cataphract88 »

I second what Warspite says: Kirk's Fantastic ship art should definitely be included in the next patch. [:)]
Richard
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Thank you guys, so glad you like the new art,I have just added the German Konig class to the game what do you think?[;)]

Attachments
GermanKon..ingame..jpg
GermanKon..ingame..jpg (142.18 KiB) Viewed 244 times
Make it so!
operating

Post by operating »

Thank you guys, so glad you like the new art,I have just added the German Konig class to the game what do you think?[;)]

Good afternoon Mister Kirk!

Ya know, you got me thinking: Since you brought up the half strength Canadian unit, I was wondering if we could develop half strength units across the board in the production queue? Take a BB or instance, as CP, I may never get enough PP to buy a whole squadron of 10, but enough to purchase a 5 strength squadron and if I could build a 5 strength squadron, would it have half the time to build?

Just thinking[&:], Bob
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

ORIGINAL: operating

Good afternoon Mister Kirk!

Ya know, you got me thinking: Since you brought up the half strength Canadian unit, I was wondering if we could develop half strength units across the board in the production queue? Take a BB or instance, as CP, I may never get enough PP to buy a whole squadron of 10, but enough to purchase a 5 strength squadron and if I could build a 5 strength squadron, would it have half the time to build?

Just thinking[&:], Bob

Hi Bob,the way the game is programmed, your idea off half strength production que units,won't work.Half strength units can join the game as a pre-arranged historical event,like the Canadian units arrival in Britain.When you purchase a new unit,the game works on the principal that a new unit is strength 10.

Make it so!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Naval game fix: The game since first release,has been plagued by a Naval game, that is to all intent and purpose flawed,calling it flawed is being kind lets say.In an effort to correct this historical inbalance,I have added two new unit types to the mix.Pre-Dreadnoughts & Armoured Cruisers.The reason for this is very simple,apart from Britain,Germany & the USA.All other Countries main Battleship in 1914 was the Pre-Dreadnought.Countries like France,Russia,Italy & Austria in 1914,really only had Pre-Dreadnoughts as their main unit at sea.The above 4 Nations,had at the most 2 or 3 new Dreadnought/Battleships each,and when you add them all together you would just manage to create a strength 10 Battleship unit,that the game uses at the present time.Now one of the positives for having Pre-Dreadnoughts in the game,stops gamers who like to use the gamey disband your Battleship fleet option,and re-coupe a huge PP & MP bonus,something for which they are not really intitled too,because they did not buy these big expensive monsters in the first place.If you disband the Pre-Dreadnought unit,you gain 1 MP and thats your lot,these units can't be purchased,because by the time of the war in 1914,no Countries were building them,as they were being replaced by the new more advanced,Dreadnought/Battleship.

The art for the Pre-Dreadnought was created by modding the existing Battleship art,and the art for the Armoured Cruiser was already in the game.

As you can see from this screen shot,the following Countries all start the game with only Pre-Dreadnoughts in their fleets,France,Russia,Austria & Italy.Not until the 1915 & later scenario's,do these Countries start with Dreadnought/Battleships.[;)]

Attachments
PreDreadn..hegame..jpg
PreDreadn..hegame..jpg (286.29 KiB) Viewed 244 times
Make it so!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Armoured Cruiser: As you can see from this screen shot,these units can't be built or purchased in game,what you start with, that is all you get,they can't be replaced.You can only build the newer cruiser type units,that comes as standard with the game since first release.The reason for the addition of the Armoured Cruiser into the game,was as per the Pre-Dreadnought explanation in my earlier post,in that most of the Countries in 1914,only had Armoured Cruisers,as their main cruiser naval unit,the newer type that the game use's as standard,and the art depicts,is for the new breed of cruiser the Light Cruiser.These two major changes,of adding the Pre-Dreadnought & Armoured Cruiser units to the game,completely rebalances the naval game,in that Britain,Germany & the USA are the dominant powers at sea,and the other powers are now playing catch up.

Attachments
ArmouredCruiser.jpg
ArmouredCruiser.jpg (298.93 KiB) Viewed 244 times
Make it so!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Dreadnoughts: This is something that has annoyed me more than anything else, since I first started playing the game,in 1914 Battleships were called DREADNOUGHTS,no question about it,so this major error has be corrected,they are DREADNOUGHTS not Battleships OK![:)]

HMS Dreadnought: The Ship That Sparked an Arms Race!

The Most Powerful War Machine on Earth

Imagine a weapon which was so powerful that its mere existence rendered all other weapons of its kind obsolete. What would be the response? Catch up or lose your position forever. This was the scramble caused by HMS Dreadnought. Before World War 1 started there was an arms race between Britain and Germany. The spark for the race was this ship, and the implications frightening in retrospect.

After this ship was launched and fitted out her name would become synonymous with battleships. Even now, historians refer to the pre and post Dreadnought ships...and battleships are known as Dreadnoughts.

Attachments
Dreadnoughts.jpg
Dreadnoughts.jpg (364.33 KiB) Viewed 244 times
Make it so!
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

cant wait :)
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Cataphract88

Post by Cataphract88 »

Hi Kirk,

I think what you are doing on the naval side of the game is great, I just hope that we get to see these changes (and your others) in the next patch. [:)][8D][:)]
Richard
operating

Post by operating »

Naval game fix: The game since first release,has been plagued by a Naval game, that is to all intent and purpose flawed,calling it flawed is being kind lets say.In an effort to correct this historical inbalance,I have added two new unit types to the mix.Pre-Dreadnoughts & Armoured Cruisers.The reason for this is very simple,apart from Britain,Germany & the USA.All other Countries main Battleship in 1914 was the Pre-Dreadnought.Countries like France,Russia,Italy & Austria in 1914,really only had Pre-Dreadnoughts as their main unit at sea.The above 4 Nations,had at the most 2 or 3 new Dreadnought/Battleships each,and when you add them all together you would just manage to create a strength 10 Battleship unit,that the game uses at the present time.Now one of the positives for having Pre-Dreadnoughts in the game,stops gamers who like to use the gamey disband your Battleship fleet option,and re-coupe a huge PP & MP bonus,something for which they are not really intitled too,because they did not buy these big expensive monsters in the first place.If you disband the Pre-Dreadnought unit,you gain 1 MP and thats your lot,these units can't be purchased,because by the time of the war in 1914,no Countries were building them,as they were being replaced by the new more advanced,Dreadnought/Battleship.

The art for the Pre-Dreadnought was created by modding the existing Battleship art,and the art for the Armoured Cruiser was already in the game.

As you can see from this screen shot,the following Countries all start the game with only Pre-Dreadnoughts in their fleets,France,Russia,Austria & Italy.Not until the 1915 & later scenario's,do these Countries start with Dreadnought/Battleships.[;)]

Hi Kirk!

Let me ask this: Are these new old ships in addition to the current naval OOB? Are they upgradable? Were they not, more susceptible to torpedo attacks? Also, could we/you do something on this line of thought with artillery (Krupp guns)? For I believe; that the Entente did not have anything comparable at the beginning of the war ( this is not a demand, just a thought to kick around).

Just thinking, Bob

P.S. In the current game CP PP, it is practically impossible to build new BBs, almost the same could be said for Entente, with the exception of Britain, depending on it's priority .
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Sorry for not being around on the forums recently guys,but as you know I have been busy with the new 1.6 game play patch,here is an update on its progress,well I'm now writing out the change log for all the enhancements,to the game play.Here is a screen shot of one of them,the Naval AI has been to school and learned some new tactics.Naval AI will no longer put up with this close blockade nonsense,I mean this is not 1815 with Nelson in command of the Victory.

Attachments
Germannav..rtarea..jpg
Germannav..rtarea..jpg (100.44 KiB) Viewed 244 times
Make it so!
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

This has got to be part of an official patch. I put this away due to a lot of issues, that seem to have been addressed over the last few months.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Update it is hoped that the 1.6 game play patch will be made available as a beta by Monday at the latest,all going well!

While we wait for this patch,I have created some more new art,this time another one of my model collection,has been added as an option to the in game ship art,This show's the German Armoured Cruiser Scharnhorst,in her Far East colour scheme.

Attachments
NewGerman..iserart.jpg
NewGerman..iserart.jpg (200.37 KiB) Viewed 244 times
Make it so!
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Update it is hoped that the 1.6 game play patch will be made available as a beta by Monday at the latest,all going well!

While we wait for this patch,I have created some more new art,this time another one of my model collection,has been added as an option to the in game ship art,This show's the German Armoured Cruiser Scharnhorst,in her Far East colour scheme.

warspite1

If these aren't in the official patch there is going to be trouble!!!!!!
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

I have much more art to do,so that all the Countries with waarships,have the same style off new art,for their Country specific warship designs.I will make this new art freely available as an option,because when all the art is done,you will just need to overwrite the standard art that comes with the game.[:)]

But what I have done,since the old level 1 Cruiser art,was in fact an Armoured Cruiser,I used that art for the Armoured Cruiser ship type,I have modified the art used for the standard Level 2 Cruiser,and this new art is for a level 1 Light Cruiser,as shown in this screen shot.[;)]

Attachments
Newlevel..iserart.jpg
Newlevel..iserart.jpg (192.89 KiB) Viewed 244 times
Make it so!
suprass81

Post by suprass81 »

Kirk
are you the only person who work on the new patch?
It looks like you are working on art, ballance and some new things...?
just asking :P
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

ORIGINAL: suprass81

Kirk
are you the only person who work on the new patch?
It looks like you are working on art, ballance and some new things...?
just asking :P

Hi Grzegorz,
I'm not the only one,but we are a small dedicated team,who's goal is to improve the game for all,and hopefully when you all get to play the new 1.6 beta patch soon,you will agree that the game is indeed improving.[:)]
Make it so!
Dorb

Post by Dorb »

Keep this great work up and I will buy it for the my iPad also. [:D]
I am more afraid of an army of 100 sheep led by a lion than an army of 100 lions led by a sheep.
… Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Perigord

Return to “Commander - The Great War”