Train Fever on Steam

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

wings7

Train Fever on Steam

Post by wings7 »

This train simulation (with user tags management, strategy, economy, indie, sandbox and adventure) was just released a few days ago. It looks quite impressive and has alot of depth and promise [:)], if you are into this type of game.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/304730/
Here is an in depth play session on You Tube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D73Fa6V ... 70&index=1

Patrick

Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
Werewolf13

RE: Train Fever on Steam

Post by Werewolf13 »

ORIGINAL: wings7

This train simulation (with user tags management, strategy, economy, indie, sandbox and adventure) was just released a few days ago. It looks quite impressive and has alot of depth and promise [:)], if you are into this type of game.

Promise is the key word.

I've got 40+ Steam games. One thing I usually do (and when I didn't I regretted it) is to go straight to the game forum prior to buying and read everything good and bad about the game.

Train Fever is on my list - for sure I'll be buying it (well - nothing's for sure but it's a good bet). But! Not yet.

TF is currently a late beta at best. It has some track laying issues - which for me at least - are a nonstarter. In addition it is truly a pure sandbox proposition. There is no competition with other transport companies at all be it human or AI - this too is a no go. The play model chosen is one where you must progress thru a time period to unlock later start dates. GAWD! I hate that. What the heck difference does it make if I'm brand new and want to start in 1890 or 1950? Forced to start in 1850 unless I've played thru that. Don't lock start dates, scenarios, campaigns etc. When one pays good money for a product one should get to use the whole thing. Imagine if you bought a new car but couldn't drive it out of the city until you'd put 500 miles in the city or go over 40 mph until you'd proven you could drive it at 30. Pure CRAP! (I do that here too - check the forums - and the only time I've been burned is with CMANO - fanbois - arghhhh!)

[rant on]
And last but not least - 50 vehicles (which is trains, trams and trucks)??? Are you kidding? Just 50 to cover a 125 year time period? Please. I smell some major DLC's down the line at I'd estimate 4.99 to 9.99 a pop at least. That kind of thing adds up real fast. I'll pay up to $19.99 for quality game changing DLC but to get more vehicles? Probably not. Not a big fan of the DLC model at all. It's just a way to turn what used to be $39 dollar games into $59 games and $59 games into games that may go $100+. They're games for pete's sake not a financial investment -
[/rant mode off]

As Wings stated: Train Fever has a lot of potential and promise. My advice - wait until that promise is realized before plopping your $35 on the counter.

Freedom is not free! Nor should it be. For men being men will neither fight for nor value that which is free.

Michael Andress
wings7

Post by wings7 »

Werewolf, good points...especially about going to the forums and reading all the good points and bad points.
I'm going to wait till it goes on sale (hopefully it won't take a year or more [:(]) and then buy it...the developers of the game look quite promising!

Patrick
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
Orm

Post by Orm »

I'll wait for your report after you got it on sale. [:)]
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Mobius

Post by Mobius »

It looks pretty good. It has random 3D maps which I haven't seen anywhere. Though it doesn't look like it has an map editor where you can create a historic map. It has tunnels lack of which was a big problem with Railroad tycoon at first. I has only 4 industries - kind of light. No economics it seems so what difference does hauling anything make? Graphics are good. Track building looks good.
Let's see how the trains function with congested rails.
All your Tanks are Belong to us!
panzer
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

I invite you all to watch and read what James of 8 has to say about it. It's hardly a game with depth it has no AI to begin with and runs very slow.

http://www.wargamer.com/forums/posts.asp?t=589111
parusski

Post by parusski »

ORIGINAL: wings7

http://store.steampowered.com/app/304730/
Here is an in depth play session on You Tube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D73Fa6V ... 70&index=1

Patrick

I bought it and I enjoy playing it.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
szmike

Post by szmike »

I still find Railroad Tycoon unmatched for my train addiction.
goodwoodrw

Post by goodwoodrw »

I have RRT2 but it won't work on my 64 bit system [&:]
ORIGINAL: szmike

Formerly Goodwood

Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

Railroad Tycoon Deluxe is basically an updated Railroad Tycoon. 2K Games put it up for free download to promote Sid Meier's Railroads! It can be downloaded here.
This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee
gexmex

Post by gexmex »

It still has a lot of potential to be realized, but I've enjoyed it for the short time I've played it [:)]
Mobius

Post by Mobius »

ORIGINAL: BASB
I have RRT2 but it won't work on my 64 bit system [&:]
This new game with the people walking around reminds me of the cargo system of RRT3. They appear to be milling about and ready to be scooped up and transported somewhere.
I do like the large maps. Sid Meyers remake of RRT had unusually small maps. It had a RRT in a tea cup look to it.

I purchsed this but then get in an endless loop of signing up with steam and updating my profile each time I go to where they say to download.
All your Tanks are Belong to us!
panzer
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Two games I can recommend over this sandbox of a game are Transport Tycoon Deluxe and Industry Giant II. Probably Industry Giant II moreso than the other but both are great games and have fun AI's to play against. Lots more resources to gather, buy and sell. Only thing that will be missing are the little people roaming around.
wings7

Post by wings7 »

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

Two games I can recommend over this sandbox of a game are Transport Tycoon Deluxe and Industry Giant II. Probably Industry Giant II moreso than the other but both are great games and have fun AI's to play against. Lots more resources to gather, buy and sell. Only thing that will be missing are the little people roaming around.

Have you played "Open TTD"? ("OpenTTD" is an open source simulation game based upon the popular Microprose game "Transport Tycoon Deluxe") and if so what is your impression.

Amazon sells "Industry Giant II: Gold Edition", have you had any experience with this one?

Patrick
salazarus

Post by salazarus »

In my opinion Simutrans is a good game and it is open source. I think it is better transport simulation then Open TTD. The downside is that AI is very bad but the game even without computer competition is not easy, it's hard to make profit.

Also Transport Giant is older but still good game and now you can buy Steam version with some minor improvements.

Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

ORIGINAL: salazarus

In my opinion Simutrans is a good game and it is open source. I think it is better transport simulation then Open TTD. The downside is that AI is very bad but the game even without computer competition is not easy, it's hard to make profit....

Simutrans doesn't look too bad. Thanks for the heads-up, salazarus.

Simutrans' official site
Wikipedia article about Simutrans

YouTube Simutrans Let's Play video

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

Return to “General Discussion”