Questions

Commander - The Great War is the latest release in the popular and playable Commander series of historical strategy games. Gamers will enjoy a huge hex based campaign map that stretches from the USA in the west, Africa and Arabia to the south, Scandinavia to the north and the Urals to the east on a new engine that is more efficient and fully supports widescreen resolutions.
Commander – The Great War features a Grand Campaign covering the whole of World War I from the invasion of Belgium on August 5, 1914 to the Armistice on the 11th of November 1918 in addition to 16 different unit types including Infantry, Cavalry, Armoured Cars and Tanks, Artillery, Railroad Guns and Armoured Trains and more!

Moderators: Lord Zimoa, MOD_Commander_The_Great_War

OldJoe

Questions

Post by OldJoe »

And, maybe some frustrations.

1. Why is it that when I take the port cities like Rohen & Calais & Antwerp that I suddenly don't have home port advantage. Without it I am permanently at a disadvantage in trying to stop Britain's ships.
2. Why would I get a message about the war impacting Austria's production drop and the manpower turn yellow when my MP is at 1,246? That isn't near the 70% drop. And, since I have defeated Serbia, most of Italy and swinging around on the southern flanks of the Western front, It seems like my production would not be impacted at all as I should be benefiting from the spoils of war.
3. Why does the AI get to move their small garrisons all over the map and I can't move mine more than one hex of it's home city? If I can't do that, the AI shouldn't be able to either.
4. How is it that small garrisons (SG)can take an attack from being bombed by 2 zeps, 5 full strength infantry and neither retreat or be destroyed? Interestingly enough, that always happens when the AI moves the SG to plug a hole in the line out of desperation, and if I can just get rid of the SG I can start a breakthrough. Or, I just need to kill it so I can clear the pocket and clear up some units for the line. Very annoying. Meanwhile, my regular size Garrisons are constantly being chewed up by the enemy infantry.
5. How is it that a lone battle ship damages my attacking subs? What, the battle ship has depth charges? So, early in the game?
6. How is it that the enemy's battleships take no damage from my attacks, take very little to no damage from attacking me, yet when I compare the unit cards I have a higher defense than the enemy battleship?

Just some questions and annoyances. While I was on my way to victory I have decided I am going to go play a game that isn't so frustrating. I have had too many instances where the attack left a unit with 1 hit point left. So, I say, "well, then I will reload and focus more attacks on that unit instead of splitting my attacks or making those spoiling attacks." Only to have the game still end up with 1 strength point left regardless of how many more attacks I make against the unit. Too many instances of my ships, my zeps, my arty doing no damage to the enemy only to end up with the enemy's units making massive damage against me most of the time, if not always.

Too bad. I like the game. But, personally I would rather play a game that doesn't resort to cheap tricks like this.

Maybe I will try it again after the next patch.

*edited to add #6, posted too soon, and some grammar.*

Return to “Commander - The Great War”