LOS QUERY at PLATOON LEVEL

Command Ops: Battles From The Bulge takes the highly acclaimed Airborne Assault engine back to the West Front for the crucial engagements during the Ardennes Offensive. Test your command skills in the fiery crucible of Airborne Assault’s “pausable continuous time” uber-realistic game engine. It's up to you to develop the strategy, issue the orders, set the pace, and try to win the laurels of victory in the cold, shadowy Ardennes.
Command Ops: Highway to the Reich brings us to the setting of one of the most epic and controversial battles of World War II: Operation Market-Garden, covering every major engagement along Hell’s Highway, from the surprise capture of Joe’s Bridge by the Irish Guards a week before the offensive to the final battles on “The Island” south of Arnhem.

Moderators: Panther Paul, Arjuna

Phoenix100

LOS QUERY at PLATOON LEVEL

Post by Phoenix100 »

I've been very happily playing a number of Caphillrat's excellent platoon level scenarios. Love the scale. However I wonder if the engine LOS mechanism actually works at this level of detail? I suspect it doesn't, and wonder how those developing the 'official' platoon level game (LOTB) are dealing with this, if at all, or if there will be changes in CO2, if and when CO2 arrives? For platoon level to mean anything I think LOS has to be realistic, and not quite as abstracted as it is at higher scaling levels. It has to be possible to move 8 soldiers, say, behind a massive factory and know that they will be in dead ground, out of sight of soldiers over 500metres away, say, in the middle of another huge factory complex. Just looking at the 'factory' elements in the pic below, the first factory (starting nearest the lightest blue part of the blue los line) is about 50m deep in the direction of the los line. If you position one of Chris's little 8 man units where the Los line begins then, according to their unit footprint, they are wholly behind that factory - that is, they have fifty metres of factory between them and the rubble between that factory and the next. But as you can see the los line extends straight through these obstructions. It seems to be set up, not surprisingly, for the level of abstraction that a roughly company sized footprint might endow. I'm not sure how the los calculations work exactly, but this kind of thing is general, and I think it's a serious problem for playing meaningfully at platoon level, at present, because, basically, those blocking terrain features don't mean anything.

Attachments
losplatoon.gif
losplatoon.gif (89.11 KiB) Viewed 180 times
wodin

RE: LOS QUERY at PLATOON LEVEL

Post by wodin »

Most likely an issue and prob a reason why the pixel scale need to be changed hence a whole new game being designed to make it work. Hopefully we will see said game from Bil:)
dazkaz15

RE: LOS QUERY at PLATOON LEVEL

Post by dazkaz15 »

yeah I was wondering how it is possible to play this game at Platoon level, without some major updates to the overall scale, of the way the units interact with the terrain etc.

I'm guessing, but the invisible 100m grid that makes up the game map, now has to be about 10m scale instead of 100m?
I don't see how this is possible without changing the way the game behaves with regard to movement speed, LOS, firing range etc

Return to “Command Ops Series”