Regret Purchase

The newest game by Ageod, set during The Great War.

Moderator: Pocus

WierdScience

Regret Purchase

Post by WierdScience »

The install worked fine except it installed the game to the wrong folder. I told it to install to "G:\To End All Wars" and instead it was installed to: "C:\games\To End All Wars"

First time I ran the game it asked for the activation code; apparently the installer and the game don't use the same registry settings. For some reason the game launcher five times when I first ran it - hasn't happened since.

Can some one explain: I had a unit in Morhange and one sieging Metz. My forces in Metz were pushed back to Saint Mihiel. But so was my unit in Morhange. The unit in Morhange was not attacked and on defensive posture. How did it end up in Saint Mihiel?

Can some one explain: I had troops in Montreux and sent them to Bern. It was suppose to take 15 days. After pressing the turn button twice I checked there status. They hadn't moved.

Can some one explain: I had troops in Saint Mihiel and sent them to Metz. The little envelopes were white. It was suppose to take 8 days. I pressed the turn button. They hadn't left Saint Mihiel. There status said it would take 12 days. I pressed the turn button. On day 15 they finally made it to Metz. Two turns!

With all the failed moves I got all the information I could prior to the move orders. To the best of my reckoning, the units were all good to go. Is this game trying simulate the human element? If so where is my ability to execute leaders that do not follow orders?

I didn't think the turn issue would pose a big problem but it does. When I had a unit not under fire and not under move orders but some how ended up two provinces away; it got to be unbearable re-loading to find out what occurred (there were no messages for what had happened).

Oh... and the second time I stated the game it decided that I wanted French (easily changed back to English but still).
TSkoopCRP

RE: Regret Purchase

Post by TSkoopCRP »

You could turn off the initiative checks and make it so they always follow orders.

Your issue with the corp not in the battle retreating, are you sure it wasn't trying to march to the sound of the guns and got committed ?
mrfeizhu

Post by mrfeizhu »

take time to learn the game, its very good, but i have only played a fw times and still dont know whats going on but it gets better, most games are like this
Old man sort of living in China for the last 18 years
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Your last two issues sound like bugs, and they will fix. If this is your first Ageod game, you really picked a tough one. I have them all but am waiting on this one for patches and to give it the attention it deserves. It's a pretty big jump in complexity from their previous games (other than PoN). No way I could just jump right in, and I know the system pretty good. Also, the devs are the best.
WierdScience

Post by WierdScience »

During my first play thru the annoying occurrence of units ending up in undesirable locations continued. I can only assume that the cause is from "march to the sound of the guns" (AKA: Blue Force Black Hole - every nearby friendly gets sucked in). More than a few times the center of my lines were completely altered by march to the sound of the guns. The manual states: "there is a chance of supporting an adjacent Army engaged in combat" but my experience is that there is no chance - it will happen. Might win the battle but it takes several turns to reform my lines and fill in the gaps created by this chance occurrence.

After a completed game I can say that the turn system is just plain silly. First, turn resolution takes a while. Why does it load the "master file" every time I end a turn? If its a "master file" wouldn't it only need to be loaded once? Actual time aside; why does it simulate 15 days at a time? Consider: My units are scheduled to launch a coordinated attack on the 11th day but on day 1 the opposition launches a crippling blow to my line's left flank. I can not respond to this situation for 15 days (it occurred on day 1 and I can't respond until day 16). I know this is WW1 but for cereal. Two (2) weeks! I can't get a message via dispatch rider, pigeon, air plane, train, telegraph, runner (look back to antiquity at Pheidippides) for two weeks? What about the offensive that was to be launched on day 11? There are 10 days between being assaulted and the initiation of my offensive. Even if I consider poor weather and commo lines I should still have a good week (7 days) to stop or modify my attack so that forces could be sent (or at the very least be given a warno) to reinforce the flank.

In comparison to a game like HOI3, this game seems shallow. I can't explore the game as a minor faction. The research is barney style. Civilian concerns are simplistic as well. I could go on complaining but the biggest issue I have is with the blue force black hole. How can I turn this off? Oh, I couldn't find a way to "turn off the initiative checks".
Lowlaner2012

Post by Lowlaner2012 »

Hi WierdScience, you can set the activation rule to easy(to the far left) and that removes the initiative checks...

In my opinion EAW is way more deep that HOI3, its more rich and focused...also regarding research, EAW is a WAR game and the research is abstracted, but it still works ok..

I guess turn times are a matter of taste, it takes planning ahead and foresight to play EAW, stick with it, its a great game :)
WierdScience

Post by WierdScience »

It can not be march to the sound of guns. It has to be something else.

I started a new game. Late Aug. I sent:

Premiere Armee
7e Corps d'Armee
8e Corps d'Armee
13e Corps d'Armee
14e Corps d'Armee

from Belfort to Mulhouse

Want to guess where the 8e, 13e, and 14e Corps d'Armee ended up? Guess! Guess where they were headed! They ended up in Vosges headed to Metz.
My casualties are 0. I have not been engaged by the enemy. Those rogue units were to be part of my first offensive action but for some reason headed towards Metz!

I just reloaded the late Aug turn. Gave 14e Corps d'Armee no move orders at all and made sure the others were headed to Mulhouse. Early Sep. and they still ended up in Vosges headed to Metz.

It can't be march to the sound of guns; there are units closer to Metz. There are 5 (including the Troisieme Armee) in Saint Mihiel. There has to be something wrong with this game when units ignore marching orders in favor of a 5 provinces forced march towards silence.

And ya, I've looked thru the logs. No mention of the rogue units or why they took off. Seriously, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot over.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

I've played every Ageod game except PoN and have put EAW on the shelf for lack of time and patch reasons. So keep in mind that I haven't read the rule book or any changes they've made.

Every other game, you grab that counter and it moves where you tell it. I just started the only short scenario in EAW. I ordered a few Russian units to move within friendly territory to new locations. About half the time a unit would move forward one "step" and then actually move backward to its start point!

Again, I know nothing about what they did to EAW. Maybe this behavior is WAD. But I've never seen it in an Ageod game and don't particularly like the look of it.
Reiryc

Post by Reiryc »

ORIGINAL: rosseau

I've played every Ageod game except PoN and have put EAW on the shelf for lack of time and patch reasons. So keep in mind that I haven't read the rule book or any changes they've made.

Every other game, you grab that counter and it moves where you tell it. I just started the only short scenario in EAW. I ordered a few Russian units to move within friendly territory to new locations. About half the time a unit would move forward one "step" and then actually move backward to its start point!

Again, I know nothing about what they did to EAW. Maybe this behavior is WAD. But I've never seen it in an Ageod game and don't particularly like the look of it.

can you post a save game?

edit sorry this is for wierdscience
WierdScience

Post by WierdScience »

forum upload box states:

"Max. 200KB;
gif/txt/jpg are supported"

So I uploaded it to AlterVista

[ http://wierdscience.altervista.org/docs ... at_War.hst ] 6.30 MB

the I saw how large the file was so I compressed it with ark (I'm on linux atm) and uploaded a smaller copy

[ http://wierdscience.altervista.org/docs ... at_War.zip ] 342.79 KB

Ok... just tested those direct links out. It takes you to a page in Italian telling you "The requested resource is available here".

Hope that works - I didn't know how else to post it for you and get past the 200kb limit.
loki100

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: WierdScience

It can not be march to the sound of guns. It has to be something else.

I started a new game. Late Aug. I sent:

Premiere Armee
7e Corps d'Armee
8e Corps d'Armee
13e Corps d'Armee
14e Corps d'Armee

from Belfort to Mulhouse

Want to guess where the 8e, 13e, and 14e Corps d'Armee ended up? Guess! Guess where they were headed! They ended up in Vosges headed to Metz.
My casualties are 0. I have not been engaged by the enemy. Those rogue units were to be part of my first offensive action but for some reason headed towards Metz!

I just reloaded the late Aug turn. Gave 14e Corps d'Armee no move orders at all and made sure the others were headed to Mulhouse. Early Sep. and they still ended up in Vosges headed to Metz.

It can't be march to the sound of guns; there are units closer to Metz. There are 5 (including the Troisieme Armee) in Saint Mihiel. There has to be something wrong with this game when units ignore marching orders in favor of a 5 provinces forced march towards silence.

And ya, I've looked thru the logs. No mention of the rogue units or why they took off. Seriously, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot over.

check the move command, look at the route the AI chooses for these units, it tends to be the 'quickest' in terms of time. Ok that may not be the route you want, for all sorts of good reasons. So put your move order together province by province (check the manual as to how), you'll find they go exactly as you want.

If you don't want march to the sound of the guns ... simple. Edit it out using the provided game files. Or heavily reduce the chance of it happening.
Tamas

Post by Tamas »

We have a fix for the units "marching to the sound of guns" not moving back to their original locations after battle, in the upcoming patch.
WierdScience

Post by WierdScience »

check the move command, look at the route the AI chooses for these units, it tends to be the 'quickest' in terms of time. Ok that may not be the route you want, for all sorts of good reasons. So put your move order together province by province (check the manual as to how), you'll find they go exactly as you want.

If you don't want march to the sound of the guns ... simple. Edit it out using the provided game files. Or heavily reduce the chance of it happening.

Let me break it down barney style. I have troops in the region Belfort. I issue marching orders for said units to enter and occupy the adjacent region of Mulhouse. I click the end turn button. Some of the units end up two regions away and there final destination is an additional two regions away.

Now with pictures.

End of late Aug. turn. I have the 13e Corps de'Armee selected. Please notice its destination is the region adjacent with a eta of seven days.

Attachments
Aug.jpg
Aug.jpg (127.97 KiB) Viewed 520 times
WierdScience

Post by WierdScience »

Here is the image directly after pressing the end turn button.

To assist in orientation; the region of Vosges in the top left of the previous image is the location of the 13e Corps d'Armee in this image.
Attachments
Sep.jpg
Sep.jpg (114.05 KiB) Viewed 523 times
WierdScience

Post by WierdScience »

If you need to, use Colmar as reference. Now tell me what movement order and or combination of MTSG or fastest route makes sence? Oh, I forgot to mention: as of early Sep. my casualties is still 0.

I fail to see how this has anything to do with MTSG. Between late Aug. and early Sep. nothing in Metz had changed (i.e. there was no battle) so MTSG should not have occurred (especially from five regions away).

Something else. This may have slipped notice by some but out of the five units I sent to Mulhouse only three went rogue. Premiere Armee and 7e Corps d'Armee actually entered and captured Mulhouse.
Arsan

Post by Arsan »

Hi!

Movement works perfectly normal on my game... this is weird indeed... i bet it's something simple and not a bug.

For example, when you order the movement to Mulhouse did you drop your unit on some empty space on the region? If you drop it over some of the german units on Mulhouse you are ordering your units to pursuit the targeted german force. If the targeted Germans move away from Mulhouse your units will try to go after them and can finish their move anywhere the germans take them.

Checking the first image you posted above it seems this is the problem. If you look at it you will see above the unit panel a text line stating your ordered move. It says your 13 Corps goes from "Belfort > Mulhouse (1..." and then the image is croped.
This "(1." looks like the start of a german unit name... maybe "(1.Korps)" or whatever.
This shows you have drope your 13 Corps over an enemy unit on Mulhouse and not directly on Mulhouse region. I bet the germans moved north and your guys went after them.
Hope it helps.

Regards!
EDIT: looking again at your picture now i'm sure this is indeed the problem. Check your 13 Corps unit counter on map. Just under the orange offensive icon on the top right of the unit counter there is another icon with an arrow and a red X. This means the unit is targeting another unit and not a region.
WierdScience

Post by WierdScience »

That sounds like it could be the case. I'll load up the saved game and see.

edit: that appears to have been it. I noticed the little icon before but couldn't tell what it was or meant. Inspection the unit; all I find in the way of oddities had to do with hide. So I was working on the assumption that the icon was indicating that the unit's hide was being modified.

anyway, thanks for the catch Arsan.
Arsan

Post by Arsan »

Glad the mistery was solved! [:)]
Reiryc

Post by Reiryc »

ORIGINAL: WierdScience

That sounds like it could be the case. I'll load up the saved game and see.

edit: that appears to have been it. I noticed the little icon before but couldn't tell what it was or meant. Inspection the unit; all I find in the way of oddities had to do with hide. So I was working on the assumption that the icon was indicating that the unit's hide was being modified.

anyway, thanks for the catch Arsan.

Just now getting to this... thanks for posting the save.

When you target a unit, there will be a message that appears on the middle upper screen for a brief moment that says "you are targeting such and such with such and such unit."

As i say, it is brief but it may help to look for that as you let go the mouse to make sure you dont accidentally target a unit.

As I'm sure you noticed, you can target provinces or units and your units will try to follow the intended target.
jaxpac

Post by jaxpac »

I was almost 99% sure I would regret buying and I do. Since people are answering questions here I will ask my first problem that came up. It was frustrating enough to cause me to quit and come back later.

Did tutorial, not helpful.

Start game, Schleifen plan, let's move some more units into Belgium, oops I moved to the wrong square and am now attacking forces I wanted to bypass, how to I cancel that order, don't know, maybe drag the unit back, what? he's going there and back now, what the hell, quit...

next game, let's try to build some new forces. A new infantry unit. How do I do that. I got to a screen where I could click some tiny boxes that seemed to indicate I was building a few infantry. Go ahead a turn. What's going on? A few more turns, what is happening? Tutorial doesn't even say how to build units, something so basic?

Why? The UI is brutal. It's like they deliberately made it as difficult as possible.

Return to “To End All Wars Series”