Bugs with high amount of components and research projects

Post bug reports and ask for support here.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

lurchi

Bugs with high amount of components and research projects

Post by lurchi »

Like fierceking already mentioned there's the 256 component crash.

Additionally something strange happens with very large amounts of research projects in a research section. It seems the game can't correctly load them all.

Here it looks perfectly fine

But when I scroll down a whole bunch of research projects just vanish, including the corresponding pop ups.

I'm not sure of the exact amount of research projects causing this. Right now I have 865, when I finished this section there were about 740 and everything worked just fine.
mensrea

RE: Bugs with high amount of components and research projects

Post by mensrea »

Well, this is just great. I'm about to hit 800 myself....Curious, did you try removing some techs little by little to see where the threshold might be? I'm sorry to hear about this as well. I imagine this is very frustrating.
Retreat1970

Post by Retreat1970 »

I had the disappearing techs happen to me to but at far fewer techs. There was an error I made which caused this, but I can't remember what it was off the top of my head. I want to say it had to do with a component picture. If I remember I'll repost.
mensrea

Post by mensrea »

Retreat, now that you mention that I do remember the same thing happening to me once. I want to say it involves missing facility pictures.
lurchi

Post by lurchi »

I have pictures for all components and facilities, that's not it. Also it worked just fine when I started with the next research section, so I can only imagine the high amount of research projects being the culprit. [&:]
mensrea

Post by mensrea »

Well, I made it to 836 and fierceking has made it to at least 1000 (tm.asp?m=3692696). The only thing I can think of is that maybe some picture isn't the right size or format. Sorry I can't be of more help as I know exactly how it feels to spend all that time changing stuff only to have it taken down by some crazy error.
lurchi

Post by lurchi »

So I replaced all pictures with vanilla ones, just to make sure. No change at all.
Retreat1970

Post by Retreat1970 »

I know it was a user error somewhere, but I can't remember what it was. Probably a typo. Sorry I can't help more. Wish I would have wrote it down. Could have been a weapon effect pic. I was working on those as well at the time. Maybe a call to a weapon effect pic that isn't there, or typed wrong? Most of my errors are because of a stupid missing comma.
lurchi

Post by lurchi »

All effects are existing and working. I'll recheck anyway.

BTW, I do remember something weird happening when I linked research projects between tech sections. That's not it either, though.
mensrea

Post by mensrea »

The unfortunate thing about this is you are not even getting an error message so it cannot be attributed to a missing comma or something. I also recall strange things happening with linking tech sections, but not to the extent of what your screenshots are showing. This is bizarre indeed and I wish you luck in getting to the root of the problem, but at this rate I fear it is as you said and the problem requires dev attention.
lurchi

Post by lurchi »

I found nothing wrong so far. I doubt I will, since it did work when I finished that research section. I sure hope Elliot can fix this.
lurchi

Post by lurchi »

So, is there any chance this gets fixed? [&:]
lurchi

Post by lurchi »

I reinstalled DW and upgraded to 1.9.5.8, this solved the problem with the vanishing research projects. [:)]
The component #256 crash is still there, though. [:(]
lurchi

Post by lurchi »

BTW, here's the error message that appears when I have component #256 and try to start a new game:

Return to “Tech Support”