comparison.....

Advanced Tactics is a versatile turn-based strategy system that gives gamers the chance to wage almost any battle in any time period. The initial release focuses on World War II and includes a number of historical scenarios as well as a full editor! This forum supports both the original Advanced Tactics and the new and improved Advanced Tactics: Gold Edition.

Moderator: Vic

falco148

comparison.....

Post by falco148 »

Am a huge fan of both Panzer Corps & Battlefield Academy. Have just bought ATG on spec really. What are the main differences/similarities between this game and those....(if any?)
Josh

RE: comparison.....

Post by Josh »

Haven't played BA, although I hear it's a great game, so can't judge that one. Played Panzer General and Panzer Corps *a lot*. The ultimate beer and pretzels game. Easy, fun, quick, enjoyable graphics, a very nice game in all. But for the ultimate satisfaction you would have to be playing (other than with your wife) ATG. It offers much much more depth and strategic challenges. No comparison there. ATG can be a grand strategic game *and* focus on small tactical battles at the same time. With PC you have to decide what weapons you go for, you know strategic bombers, tanks, infantry and so on. And then you decide where to attack. With ATG you sort of do that too, only ten times or depending on the map size, on a hundred times larger scale. With PC your core force is about ...20 to 40 units. With ATG that's just the size of *one* of your army groups. ATG is much more about movement, fluid battles, the hunt for oil wells, the search for ore mines, the sieges of cities, the landscapes where you want to make a stand such as hills or behind rivers. It's about production problems, supply difficulties etc etc.

ATG has the unique quality (in my humbe opinion) that it offers a depth almost equal to that of the War in the East monster (I own that one too, find it less enjoyable, purely personal ofcourse) but is very easy to get in to. Create unit and off you go easy peasy. Simple as that.
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

The big difference is that both Panzer Corps and Battle Academy are tactical games whereas ATG is an operational level game. In the former you command individual tanks and stuff and in ATG you command basically divisions. ATG also as some strategic aspects to it as well (oil, ore, political/production points, and research).
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
major.pain

Post by major.pain »

When playing on a large map with multiple land masses i would also say the game has a pretty big 4X vibe too.

Explore. Expand. Exploit. Exterminate.
falco148

Post by falco148 »

Thanks for those comments. I think I will enjoy this game!

Return to “Advanced Tactics Series”