Terraforming building, when desert/ocean unlocked...

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Larsenex

Terraforming building, when desert/ocean unlocked...

Post by Larsenex »

Can someone please clarify to me (again) why I should build this building.

But first some questions...

If I have a low quality worlds like a previous post say ice world or even desert world and its say 45% or even a beach front beauty like 11% quality.

Can we bring this value up in game via some tech?

Does the 'Terraformer' building do this?

Thanks much!
Go for the Eyes Boo!

Intel 8700K Oc'd to 4.8ghz
32 gigs ram
GTX 1070 w/ 6gigs ram.
Using a cache drive from intel with a 60gig flash & 1 terrabyt hd accelerated.
johanwanderer

RE: Terraforming building, when desert/ocean unlocked...

Post by johanwanderer »

They will not. They only help to repair damaged done to a colony (by bombardment or natural disasters.)

Generally, there is no reason to build them unless one of your big planets got hit.
Rekm41

Post by Rekm41 »

Shame that they do not do that though. Would be nice to be able to increase the quality on some planets.
Keep Moving and Keep your Head DOWN!!
Aeson

Post by Aeson »

If I have a low quality worlds like a previous post say ice world or even desert world and its say 45% or even a beach front beauty like 11% quality.
While it is not currently possible within the game to improve a planet's quality (at least, without using the editor), I would caution you that increasing the quality of a planet does not necessarily improve its long-term economic impact on your empire. A low-quality world's long-term economic impact becomes progressively worse as its quality increases from 0% to 33 1/3%, and then the impact starts to become less bad as the quality grows beyond 33 1/3%, and so it would actually be better in many ways to keep any low-quality worlds as low-quality as possible.

I also agree with johanwanderer - there is little point in building a terraforming facility except in response to an event, such as planetary bombardment or a disaster, which reduces the planet quality of a world with significant economic importance. And if you do build a terraforming facility, scrap it once the planet quality has recovered unless you really want to ensure that the planet recovers rapidly from any kind of damage to its planet quality.
Larsenex

Post by Larsenex »

I knew that low quality planets dragged your income down. I did not know about the inverse decline from say 2% to 32%.

Ok so there is NO Terraformer in game. There is currently NO way to do so legally in game via an tech unlock. Can such a device be modded into the game like a late game Colonization building that you can build on worlds with some restrictions, say....

"Rutins Wrecking Hall"

Unique Terraforming building.

"Will raise planet quality by 20% to a maximum of 100%" <<< or similar language.

(Insert Viking Longhouse picture)

Can this be done?
Go for the Eyes Boo!

Intel 8700K Oc'd to 4.8ghz
32 gigs ram
GTX 1070 w/ 6gigs ram.
Using a cache drive from intel with a 60gig flash & 1 terrabyt hd accelerated.
NephilimNexus

Post by NephilimNexus »

Sadly, due to the lack of modding ability in this game, true terraforming cannot be done. Considering that planets naturally heal environmental damage over time, more often than not the terraforming facility is just a pointless waste of credits.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”