North Africa: Looking For Rommel Is Available For Download

Post new maps, scenarios, estabs and mods here to share with other gamers.

Moderators: Arjuna, Panther Paul

ChrisMaiorana

North Africa: Looking For Rommel Is Available For Download

Post by ChrisMaiorana »

Feriana, Tunisia: The U.S II Corps under General Patton is moving east towards the German flank on the Mareth Line. Having recovered much of the ground lost after the disaster at Kasserine pass they are racing forward under two columns. The southerly column, the 1st US Infantry division, has been given the goal of seizing the vital crossroads town of Gafsa. The second column, 1st Armored's CCA under General Ward has been tasked with seizing Sened Station, Maknassy and then the airfield at Mezzouna.

Patton has been chomping at the bit to engage the Germans again. He's frustrated that his 1st Army commander, the British General Alexander, has left him out in the cold from the real fighting along the Mareth Line but he is determined to make the best of it.

After holding forth with a gaggle of reporters over cigars and Viennese steaks, Patton proclaims he is looking for Rommel. The next day the reports come in from Gafsa. A German reconnaissance battalion has been seen taking up positions in the town. Arabs fleeing the town have reported that it is the German 10th Panzer Division, the same unit that had whipped the Americans at Kasserine...

"Looking for Rommel" is available here ---> http://thesharpendgaming.blogspot.com/2014/09/command-ops-north-africa-looking-for.html
Phoenix100

RE: North Africa: Looking For Rommel Is Available For Download

Post by Phoenix100 »

Fantastic, Chris. been really looking forward to this. Will go get! Thanks!

Peter
ulisin

Post by ulisin »

fantastic!!!
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

The map is beautiful, Chris. Well done. Just starting to look at the OOB now.

Not sure if you intended it but the top of the peaks (the very dark brown shading) is all passable for wheels/tracks, whereas, looking at the pic of it, and considering the height I wondered whether the topmost layers should be impassable, or at least '0' for motorised?

Can't imagine it was feasible to take tanks etc over the top of those!
Attachments
gafsa.gif
gafsa.gif (490.16 KiB) Viewed 456 times
ChrisMaiorana

Post by ChrisMaiorana »

Hi Phoenix. I can adjust. I've never tried to go right over DJ Orbata nor any of the other heights. The Italian entrenchments were reachable with tanks and vehicles but the top most terrain layer should not be.
Deathtreader

Post by Deathtreader »

ORIGINAL: CapHillrat

Hi Phoenix. I can adjust. I've never tried to go right over DJ Orbata nor any of the other heights. The Italian entrenchments were reachable with tanks and vehicles but the top most terrain layer should not be.

Hi,

This is a really nice piece of work! Kudos!

Just curious as to whether you've had a chance to update the map yet. I'm avoiding going over the top but the AI doesn't recognize house rules...[:D]

Rob.
So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)
wodin

Post by wodin »

With the issue with LOS at platoon scale I hope CaptHillrat goes back to normal scale until Bil finally manages to get his official platoon game released with the new map scale.
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

This scenario is normal scale, Jason. It's really nice.
ChrisMaiorana

Post by ChrisMaiorana »

Hi Deathtreader, I have updated the map. I set the broken ground terrain I am using on the summits to a movement effect of 0 for motorized and non motorized units. You can pick up the updated map in the dropbox folder here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wsvgi8q54c55 ... ClPsa?dl=0
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

Thanks for the changes, Chris. At the risk of appearing ungrateful, you have movement rates for foot and mot the same in 'clear' from the level of the valleys right up to the broken layer (50% and 28%, respectively), meaning that both foot and wheels can move at the same rate down in the wide open FLAT clear spaces as they can on considerable slopes. Is that intended, or just overlooked? Looking at the photo I posted above, I would assume that both foot and mot should only be able to move very slowly indeed over such slopes, with a modifier that reflects the degree of the slope. I would also have thought you could set mot to '0' for the topmost layers below the broken layer (for the darkest brown layers)because I really can't see wheels getting up those slopes at all. n fact, I would think motorized units should only be able to skirt the bottom of those mountains, really, or a little up each valley. Those are pretty severe slopes, I think. Just a thought. You may have a reason for doing it as you did, or you may have overlooked the gradients. And, of course, you may not have time to go back and change it all. But if you do, then I think that would make it more realistic, for me. [:)]
Deathtreader

Post by Deathtreader »

ORIGINAL: CapHillrat

Hi Deathtreader, I have updated the map. I set the broken ground terrain I am using on the summits to a movement effect of 0 for motorized and non motorized units. You can pick up the updated map in the dropbox folder here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wsvgi8q54c55 ... ClPsa?dl=0

Many thanks! [&o]
So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”