too easy?

Commander - The Great War is the latest release in the popular and playable Commander series of historical strategy games. Gamers will enjoy a huge hex based campaign map that stretches from the USA in the west, Africa and Arabia to the south, Scandinavia to the north and the Urals to the east on a new engine that is more efficient and fully supports widescreen resolutions.
Commander – The Great War features a Grand Campaign covering the whole of World War I from the invasion of Belgium on August 5, 1914 to the Armistice on the 11th of November 1918 in addition to 16 different unit types including Infantry, Cavalry, Armoured Cars and Tanks, Artillery, Railroad Guns and Armoured Trains and more!

Moderators: Lord Zimoa, MOD_Commander_The_Great_War

zakblood

RE: too easy?

Post by zakblood »

i can't wait and look forward to the new patch[&o][&o][&o]

thanks for the support as always
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Connfire

Post by Connfire »

Just a random question regarding air warfare - I understand fighters should be the bane of bombers, but how will they fare against zeppelins? If my recollection is correct, they didn't do so well at first due to zeppelins flying above the fighters' ceiling. But as time went on, the fighters gained altitude and new tactics, they at least became a concern for zeppelin commanders.
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

ORIGINAL: Connfire

Just a random question regarding air warfare - I understand fighters should be the bane of bombers, but how will they fare against zeppelins? If my recollection is correct, they didn't do so well at first due to zeppelins flying above the fighters' ceiling. But as time went on, the fighters gained altitude and new tactics, they at least became a concern for zeppelin commanders.

Hi Rob,With tech research Fighters improve,in 1914 a Fighter will knock a strength off a Zeppelin unit,and by 1918,well lets just say the Zeppelins better be somewhere else.[:D]
Make it so!
suprass81

Post by suprass81 »

ORIGINAL: kirk23
ORIGINAL: suprass81
ORIGINAL: zakblood

easy or hard is dependent on your level of expertise in gaming tbh, so is relative to knowledge of the battles / war in question, where some will find it easy, others will fill it a challenge, game balance is about the hardest to get right in any sim / game, for me it's about right, but then again my level of play expertise is probably a lot lower than most of you here, as to be truthful i'm not that good a player, but do try[;)]

so for me the games perfect, it's a challenge without being a walk in the park, can make it harder if i want to, then i'm totally out of my depth and comfort zone also [&o][&o][&o]

We are both expirienced players. Warspite1 know what he is doing. But after my luck in 1914/1915 I am simply bleeding becous I don't have enough PP to maintain research and fighting forces. I've to sell allmoust all labs to gather small force to invade Romenia- my only hope to stop Russia by attacking her southern flank.
At this point Entente has 8 arty against my 5 at all fronts. His air force is about three times larger than my. Entente has resarch going with good speed (I think so). Also my manpower is runing out- Germans and AH are red, Ottoman Empire yelow. Bulgarians holds at green level.
If there will be no miracle in Romenia I will loose in nex half of theis year (1916).
I think that PP should anable me to keep research at the level of 7 labs so I could decide to sell them and buy som troops for any offensive/defensive action at this moment. I feel like I have not enough PP so my death is a matter of time. I don't want to make CP very strong but in my oppinion I will die siply becouse of numbers of enemy's forces. Is this correct that Entente has so much mor PP incom at this stage of war? Or maybe my feelings about Entente is wrong- Warspite1 should say something how does it look from his side of the front line.
Or maybe I took wron strategy plan at the beginig of the war? maybe I should make a strong offensive in Serbia useing also Germans...? But this make only one strategy plan to pick at the begining of the game makeing it a little boring (CP player should go with one scenario- Serbia first, than Russia).
It seems that all other games where I (or my opponents) didn't score a good offensive in Russia at the 1914/1915 ends allways with quick defeat. And I have to tell that i was really lucky at the begining in Russia- defending her is not that hard with her ability to build big army.
The real problem is the power of air force- I mean baloons and bombers- first thay are to strong with attacking ground forces and second- Entente can build a lot of them in the 1914 and 1915 but Germans can't. If germans could build some more air it could be more ballanced. Adding some more ammo cost for bombers should force players to make a choice- do I invest in air and start bombing campain or- do I gather ammo and man for ground offensive. Also fighters should caus mor damage to at last baloons and bombers while intercepting them- in that case players could build som fighters to counter air rides. For me this should work like "paper, rock, scisours"- some units are good agains other and are weak against other. I know that this rule is to simple for a wargame but in this sityation Entente have a chance to build air army that can't be stopped by CP.
This is my personal point of view.

Sorry for my bad english ;)

Hey guys I just wish you were playing the new 1.6 game play patch,I assure you it addresses most if not all off your concerns at the present time,on the bright side the patch is nearly ready for beta testing,right I hear you all asking what is improved,well I will tell you!

1 = Air warfare,Fighters are just what is says on the tin,they are Fighters,they shoot down other aircraft be that other Fighters,or Bombers & Zeppelins.If you build Bombers, thinking they will do a world war 2,and flatten everything is sight,then you are going to be really disappointed,they are not a war winning weapon,they cause efficiency damage mostly,and only do strength damage to units that are already weakened,but there is a twist to the tail,the land units now benefit from anti-warfare upgrades,units that upgrade are,Infantry,Garrisons,Cavalry,Artillery.As for air combat Bombers against Fighters,well I don't recommend it,your Bombers will be wiped out pretty quick.So If your strategy is Airpower,then you will need to build Fighters first,to protect your Bombers.

2 = Naval warfare,the biggest change here is that Germany,starts with a tech advantage,in history German Dreadnoughts,could withstand more punishment,so it is in the game,they start the game stronger in defense.There are other changes to the naval game,but you will have to wait until you play version 1.6 to find out about these.[:D]

3 = Capital Cities : If you are foolish enough,to allow your Capital cities to be captured,then all I can say is,its goodnight Vienna, as far as your chances off winning the war enough said![;)]

4 = FREE UPKEEP : Due to how the game is designed,in that you need at least one Capital city,to be able to produce things.Free Upkeep allowance is 10,no more no less.This allowance was 70 for patch 1.5.2.

There are more improvements,but I will reveal these via the change log.

3- Capital cities- it's very good to read this. I hope you mean that attacking in France with full strenght in 1914 can bring a victory for CP? If so there will be a choice between one from two ways- nice. This can bring some fresh look for a MP games!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

The morale loss penalty for loosing a Capital city has been increased,( If France loose Paris they are as good as out the war )so you have been warned,you need to protect your major cities that's all I'm going to say at the moment.[:)]

Oh! yes while I'm here,the same thing applies to your Battleship fleets,you loose them and the morale loss is also a game winning or loosing consequence.So to beat Britain,take out her fleet,and they will surrender,now there is a tip for you all.[:D]
Make it so!
OldJoe

Post by OldJoe »

Glad to hear about the patch. I like this game very much. But, I agree with Suprass81 about playing with the CP. No matter how well you do early to mid game it seems like you eventually run out of the ability to keep pace with research and manpower. So, eventually you simply get overwhelmed.

I understand that is pretty accurate historically. However, if I want to see a historical reenactment of WWI I will watch a history movie. In my opinion, games like this should be balanced so that one could alter history. Like winning with the CP. Or, hard to repeat history, like it isn't an eventual cakewalk with the Entente.

Looking forward to the patch. Its good to know that the next time I sink the Russian battle ship fleet that it will have a big impact on them.
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Another new change for game play patch 1.6,when the Canadian Corps arrive in Britain,on turn 7,they are at half strength,which means it will take at least another 2 turns before,they can be sent over to France at full strength.[;)]

Attachments
CanadianC..Britain..jpg
CanadianC..Britain..jpg (178.72 KiB) Viewed 185 times
Make it so!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Another change is Artillery ammunition usage,this has been reduced from 10 - 5. World war one was when huge artillery bombardments took place really for the first time,on such a massive scale,the affects of these bombardments,really only reduced unit morale or efficiency,and so this is also reflected in the game,Artillery bombardment will reduce enemy unit efficiency,and not the strength of the unit,also artillery bombardment,will yield more benefit if used against strategic targets like Cities.[:)]

Attachments
Artillery..cedto5.jpg
Artillery..cedto5.jpg (216.28 KiB) Viewed 185 times
Make it so!
operating

Post by operating »

Another new change for game play patch 1.6,when the Canadian Corps arrive in Britain,on turn 7,they are at half strength,which means it will take at least another 2 turns before,they can be sent over to France at full strength.[;)]

Hi Kirk!

The Canadians, do they arrive on the map behind Portsmouth (as in the picture), or at Plymouth as they have before? Upping their strength, does that occur automatically? or is PP required? I'm pretty sure they used to arrive on turn 8 and could embark on the same turn. Also, if they are at half strength, will they cost the same for upkeep as a full strength infantry unit? I'm trying to grasp why we should have to fiddle around with this unit.....

????, Bob[&:]
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
suprass81

Post by suprass81 »

Another change is Artillery ammunition usage,this has been reduced from 10 - 5. World war one was when huge artillery bombardments took place really for the first time,on such a massive scale,the affects of these bombardments,really only reduced unit morale or efficiency,and so this is also reflected in the game,Artillery bombardment will reduce enemy unit efficiency,and not the strength of the unit,also artillery bombardment,will yield more benefit if used against strategic targets like Cities.[:)]

If the only change will be arty ammo cost this will enable to use germans two arty allmoust constantly. After first winter germans can have ammo stock about 60 or more. From this point two arty can bombard enemy each turn- if thay will be wounded you can add som other bombing so... ammo stocks will be almoust usless. If you will give a chance to buy more units or make smaller ammo stock this could work.
For now it is very difficult to make a hole in well defended enemy's line- even if this is only single line with some support from the second line. If you make arty less effective against ground units you can make unbrekable stalmate :/. but if you are going to make arty do lot of damage to effectivness (combined with larg ammo stocks and lowerd ammo cost for bombardment) you can make it very deadly- simply there will be no chance to make units rested and soon effectivnes of all troops fighting against arty will became "red"... Am I right? So please be carefull with all thouse changes.
It is not personally to you Kirk23 but to all who work on the next patch. The problem is that only you are talking about changes :D

P.S.
I wouldn't change any stats for arty- in my oppinion they work good. I would think about ammo stock- which is high now (maybe to high) and about ballancing number of arty at both sides... but I don't know what others think about it.
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

ORIGINAL: operating

Hi Kirk!

The Canadians, do they arrive on the map behind Portsmouth (as in the picture), or at Plymouth as they have before? Upping their strength, does that occur automatically? or is PP required? I'm pretty sure they used to arrive on turn 8 and could embark on the same turn. Also, if they are at half strength, will they cost the same for upkeep as a full strength infantry unit? I'm trying to grasp why we should have to fiddle around with this unit.....

????, Bob[&:]

Hi Bob, The Canadian Expeditionary Force arrived in Britain,so maybe I should reduce the unit size of the Canadian Corps instead of its strength,because they did not become a Corps until they were in France September 1915 after the arrival of the 2nd Canadian Division.The Canadians were based at Salisbury plain before going to France,and Portsmouth is the nearest main port to Salisbury plain see map.

The game as is gives Britain,to large a land force at the start of the war,and the Canadian Expeditionary Forces first combat in France was not until March 1915,and since we are only at turn 7 game wise that is September 1914,the Canadians should take time to get combat ready in Britain before hopping it over to France,no wonder the Central Powers have a hard time when the Entente have a force larger & stronger available,long before they should be historically.[;)]

Attachments
Salisbury plain.jpg
Salisbury plain.jpg (58.22 KiB) Viewed 185 times
Make it so!
pacwar

Post by pacwar »

It sure sounds like the 1.6 patch will fundamentally change the game. I just finished my first game, as the Central Powers, and despite some nail biting in mid 1916 I defeated the Allies. I'd attach a screen shot of the situation in early December, 1918 but I forgot how.

The French have mutinied, Russian surrendered in early 1918, Italy gave up in September and Bulgaria finally got into the war in spring 1918. First impressions are to forget about technology...the Allies had armored cars, improved fighters and bombers, armored trains, lots of artillery, etc. I traded in research for manpower in 1916 and never looked back.

A couple of thoughts. Others have suggested artillery is unrealistic and I agree. I think artillery should be included as a rating for each unit and that factor can be improved with advancements in technology, etc. Regular units get more and better artillery than garrison units. Experience should also be factored in as the game goes on, giving a reason for pulling units out of the line and rebuilding them. Cruiser units should be allowed to combine with convoys to allow them to dampen the damage done by subs as well as fighting back.

kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Hi Bob,
I have decided to leave well alone,the Canadian Corps & Artillery ammunition.But what is new is this event when you capture Belgrade,plus as an added bonus,Serbia take a morale hit of roundabout -30 because of the capture of Belgrade.

Attachments
Belgradecaptured.jpg
Belgradecaptured.jpg (263.42 KiB) Viewed 185 times
Make it so!
operating

Post by operating »

Hi Bob,
I have decided to leave well alone,the Canadian Corps & Artillery ammunition.But what is new is this event when you capture Belgrade,plus as an added bonus,Serbia take a morale hit of roundabout -30 because of the capture of Belgrade.

To the scholar Mister Kirk,

I'll say one thing: You do do your homework. Your breakdown about Salisbury Plain was very interesting and informative, like so much else about this war, which is educational, in some ways I agree with, but if the minute is to be implemented here, then why not have it so for countless other aspects of the game? Granted there are minute, but they have a far greater impact on the game as a whole, but not just for one unit, I guess, the bottom line would be to keep it simple. Thanks for your response.......

You are forcing me to do research about the Belgrade morale hit, it sounds fascinating. Serbia is a tough nut (and has been) to crack, plus historically they caused the first AH invasion to retreat decisively. Keep punching away, not every swing lands where you want it to or has the greatest effect....

Best to ya, Bob[:)]
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Thanks Bob![:D]
Make it so!
Ralph1961

Post by Ralph1961 »

I've owned Commander since it first came out but only recently did I really play it. My first games as the Allies and I had Berlin by turn 37, Austria and Ottoman Empire surrendered a few turns later playing at normal difficulty.
The Naval AI is just plain stupid, The Central Powers handed me their battleships on a silver platter.
I'm going to give it a go as the Entente, I suspect that will be tougher.
I also have Guns of August which is a great WW1 game, more abstact but really good.
I purchased Making History the Great War and plan on giving that a go. Its still in beta but looks good.
I'm glad to see WW1 is getting some attention!

I have a question
How do I see all of the items that I have researched?
operating

Post by operating »

Hi Ralph,

In the lower left side of the research panel, you will see "previous" and "next" above small pictures of the tech tree. Click the words: previous or next (starts scroll) of techs that you have developed and techs that you may develop later, then click each small picture to gather further information. I hope that answers your question.

Good luck, Bob

Attachments
ctgw_1399211233.jpg
ctgw_1399211233.jpg (352.81 KiB) Viewed 185 times
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

must be just me, as when i look at the thread starters post, i often think everyone else is playing a different game, as it's not easy, well isn't for me, have yet to win a campaign, not played it as much as i would have liked to, time issues etc, but think it's a great game and a real challenge, but then again i'm not the greatest of players in history, far from it tbh [;)]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Xenocide

Post by Xenocide »

Playing Single Player against the AI only I find that when I play as the Allies the Central Powers are on the ropes by mid-1915 and I usually have Germany and AH out of the war by late 1915 and the Ottomans usually take into 1916 to root out. They just do not have the economic strength to hold both the eastern and western fronts for any length of time.

As the Central Powers the game is brutal. Except for the Ottomans they just do not have the economic strength to maintain a cohesive line on all fronts. The only way I have found to win is to not advance on the Western Front at all to keep the battleline short. The French can afford the troops; the Germans cannot. Then throw everything I can spare at Serbia. If it is not knocked out before Italy enters the war you are in trouble. Have the AH man the Italian line and crush Russia. I can usually pull this off in 1916 if all goes well in Serbia. Then throw most of your economy into tech and start grinding your way into France and Italy. It takes forever. France has WAY too much of any economy. I am usually fighting troops stacked 3 lines deep and can only advance because of superior tech and a huge airforce and artillery barrages opening the way. Sometimes I can knock France out before 1919 but not usually. I usually get a Marginal victory.

I think France needs to be hit hard with the nerf bat so that it can maintain its lines and an auxiliary of aircraft and artillery only with Britain's help. Right now France can do just fine with what is in Britain at game start (and not even really need that) letting the British support other fronts with their full might (usually destroying the Ottomans or maybe blowing open the Italian front). I also think Germany needs about 20 more industry and AH another 10-15.
amtrick

Post by amtrick »

Just finished playing SP as the CP and had an Ultimate Victory, with only the USA still standing on the Entente side. Besides taking out Britain, France, Russia, Italy and Serbia ... I threw in Greece, Spain and Portugal for good measure. I disagree with Xenocide's strategy of not advancing on the Western front, because I believe the capture of Amsterdam and Calais are essential to beating Britain and France. Why? Because the secret to beating them is to interdict their merchant convoys. If you let those 100PP convoys (with their additional 10MP to boot) get through, Britain and France can build and maintain enormous armies (as I believe Xeno saw).

Capturing Amsterdam and Calais extends the operational range of the German subs enough that they can patrol out beyond the English/French ports and catch the convoys in the open sea. The combined assault by three full-strength subs will almost guarantee complete loss of the convoy. I find a fleet of seven subs is enough to do the job. This can't be done quickly (the German starts with three, the AH with one) but it needs to be a priority. I put three in a triangle south of the English Channel, another triad off the western approaches to the British Isles (west of Ireland to interdict Glasgow) and one around the tip of Cornwall (Land's End) to go north or south as needed.

Yes, this may pull in the USA early, but you just sink their troop transports, so they can't provide any real help to Europe.

Additionally, you can get your merchant convoys through to augment the CP production. As I have posted a couple of other places, if you load the AUTOSAVE file at the start of each turn (a pain I know), you will discover the AI hasn't moved your convoys for you ... you can choose their routes. Most importantly, reroute the South Atlantic convoys to the west and north of the British Isles, especially keeping out of cruser visual range of Scapa Flow. Concentrate the German Grand Fleet against the Russians to wipe out their navy and secure the Baltic trade route.

The combination of starving the Brits and French of PPs and augmenting your own through convoy routing/protection can swing the balance over the CP a bit. At least that is my experience.
RickD

Return to “Commander - The Great War”