Playing base game. Looking at mods... Need information.

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Larsenex

Playing base game. Looking at mods... Need information.

Post by Larsenex »

Greetings. I love the game, (always have).

So how do I use the mods posted above and of them, which ones really make for a better game (ones I really should have, if any)?

So, How do I install them?

Can I install more than one and have all work?

What are the forums 'recommendations'?
Go for the Eyes Boo!

Intel 8700K Oc'd to 4.8ghz
32 gigs ram
GTX 1070 w/ 6gigs ram.
Using a cache drive from intel with a 60gig flash & 1 terrabyt hd accelerated.
Tanaka

RE: Playing base game. Looking at mods... Need information.

Post by Tanaka »

ORIGINAL: Larsenex

So how do I use the mods posted above and of them, which ones really make for a better game (ones I really should have, if any)?

AI Improvement Extended mod is a must have. Just put in your customization folder and change theme in game to that mod. Easy peasy. In my opinion thats really all you need for a great game.

If you want to change the entire universe star trek mod is great too but you wont have the improved AI. Follow the same steps.
Hikikomori

Post by Hikikomori »

How to install a Mod

Extendend Mod(with Chrome UI)
In case you want to play with a standard AI

AI-Mod(Base and Extended versions)
New Release 1.02 of AI-Mod is around the corner, see the last 2 pages for a beta link for 1.02

Choose the version of AI-Mod you want to play, normal/vanilla or with aforementioned Extended Mod included.

GEM-Mod(GraphicEnchancementMod)
Outdated.

Planets work if you download the 3.0 GEM version(only available for planets) and delete the shadow.png file as mentioned in the last 2 or so pages.

Ship markings are only available for vanilla minus pirates, if you want them for pirates and Extended Mod or AI-Mod Extended then please take a look at page nine post 249.

In case Chrome UI is not available by default in AI-Mod Extended, or you want this or but not that of a variety of mods you can mix it. Be aware that you can only have one Theme and will have to copypaste the mods under the umbrella of another(major) mod.

I recommend using the most complex/big mod you want as a theme and change sounds/effects/images inside this mod/theme.

In case you have problems with a particular mod or combination of mods feel free to ask here if the readme files leave any questions open.

List of Mods
Refer to for some of the mentioned and a few of very good minor ones, like sirians messages and components, sound effects and so on.

Also, in case you want to get rid of the zoomed in triangles and the other shapes around ships you may want to take a look here.

Personally i run a mix of AI-Mod Extended with parts of Extended Mods Chrome UI, Sirians messages and components, sound effects from the link just above, GEM 2.4 almost everything but cursors and some other UI elements are Chrome or Sirian, with planets 3.0 and a deleted shadow file, and ship markings from martian and my additions for the Extended Mod races.

From those Extended AI-Mod is probably the most potent and important one, as it incorporates Extended Mod, AI-Mod, Weapons Rebalance, Research Reloaded and what not. The rest is mostly eye candy.
johanwanderer

Post by johanwanderer »

ORIGINAL: Larsenex

The others already answer these question, but I want to add one more point:

Most of the mods do not change the base game at all, so you can choose how a game is played, either with or without a mod. With mods installed, if you load an old save, it will be played in the vanilla game.

With that said, there is no reason not to install a bunch of them and experiment. Quite a few of the mods bring particular themes and settings to the game that you may or may not enjoy. If you don't like it, no harm is done, you can just switch to another (or back to the vanilla game).
Larsenex

Post by Larsenex »

I installed the 'Ai Extended Mod' today and will fire up a new game using that. Will 'changing themes' or adding a mod such as this prevent me from playing a previous game? I am going to start a new one anyway but was curious if you can still play a previous game.
Go for the Eyes Boo!

Intel 8700K Oc'd to 4.8ghz
32 gigs ram
GTX 1070 w/ 6gigs ram.
Using a cache drive from intel with a 60gig flash & 1 terrabyt hd accelerated.
Hikikomori

Post by Hikikomori »

johan said, as i understand it, loading a saved game that was played without a mod will not use a newly installed one even if you have still loaded that theme/mod.

I don't know if that is true, but you can always change the theme back to default before loading an old save to be sure.

With mods like AI-Mod you really want to start anew, otherwise who knows what works and what does not.
Chet Guiles

Post by Chet Guiles »

If you have Universe, the Star Trek Picard Era mod is awesome. I love playing against Klingon and Ferengi...
Hawkeye_BF

Post by Hawkeye_BF »

All you need is this great Mod-pack: "Beyond Extended Universe"

Try it and you will love it !!!

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”