A Useful Chart

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Omnius

A Useful Chart

Post by Omnius »

Does anyone know if there is a chart of air movement points that relates to which air boxes air units can move to during the Naval Air phase as well as the phase for adding air units to a naval combat? I know that air units can move to higher air boxes during the Naval Air or Air Rebase phases than when adding air units after a naval combat is declared. It sure would be helpful to know what the air point requirements are for moving air units into specific air boxes to properly plan for which box they can end up in before even trying. Has anyone made a spreadsheet to show this? Just asking before I perhaps make one myself.

Omnius
composer99

RE: A Useful Chart

Post by composer99 »

Once your air unit has reached the hexdot (that is, the 0 box of the sea area it is flying to), it costs:
- 1 movement point to advance to the 1 box from the 0 box
- 2 movement points to advance to the 2 box from the 1 box (cumulative cost 3 points)
- 3 movement points to advance to the 3 box from the 2 box (cumulative cost 6 points)
- 4 movement points to advance to the 4 box from the 3 box (cumulative cost 10 points)

This is in addition to the cost to reach the hexdot (0 box) in the first place.

So, if they're flying from an adjacent hex, air units with a range of:
- 11 or better can reach the 4 box in a sea area
- 7 or better can reach the 3 box
- 4 or better can reach the 2 box
- 2 or better can reach the 1 box

Hope that helps!
~ Composer99
Shannon V. OKeets

RE: A Useful Chart

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

See page 101 of Players Manual Volume 2.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
Omnius

A Useful Answer

Post by Omnius »

composer99,
Thanks, seeing the numbers in the format you used was very helpful to finally grasp how the cost geometrically increases with each higher box. Your range chart works well for Naval Air and I assume Air Rebase, but it doesn't cover sending in air units during a naval combat.

I know that when I add air units to a naval combat the ranges needed are closer to double the ones you show. I'm thinking that adding air units to a naval combat during that interception subphase must work like Air Interception for air combats, in other words range is halved, rounded up.

That would make sense as I noticed that a Japanese long range naval bomber with a range of 14 can reach the 4 box during Naval Air movement but not when trying to add it for a naval combat, then it only gets to the 2 box. I found that when adding air units to a naval combat that it takes a Betty with a range of 22 to reach the 4 box.

I did have a problem during Air Rebase when I tried to rebase a British carrier air unit with a range of 3 to a empty British carrier in the 1 box. The air unit was in Bombay, adjacent to the sea area. That's why I began to wonder how much air range would be needed to air rebase into the 1 box.

Omnius
Omnius

A Useful Page

Post by Omnius »

Shannon,
Thanks for the pointer to page 101 of vol 2. A little odd in that we're looking at net after movement to box 0, but knowing that it does make it easier to figure out plane range to sea area box.

Do these numbers work for adding air units to a naval combat right after it's been declared when you get to add "intercepting" air units to a naval combat? It would be nice to show the differential between the two phases since I know it takes closer to double the range shown to reach boxes then. I'm assuming that adding air units to a just-declared naval combat works like Air Interception for intercepting bombers doing bombardments of various kinds. In other words their range is halved before then figuring out which box they can reach.

Omnius
paulderynck

RE: A Useful Answer

Post by paulderynck »

ORIGINAL: Omnius

I know that when I add air units to a naval combat the ranges needed are closer to double the ones you show. I'm thinking that adding air units to a naval combat during that interception subphase must work like Air Interception for air combats, in other words range is halved, rounded up.
Yes, the rules state that air units reacting into a sea zone for naval air combat may only fly half range.
ORIGINAL: Omnius

I did have a problem during Air Rebase when I tried to rebase a British carrier air unit with a range of 3 to a empty British carrier in the 1 box. The air unit was in Bombay, adjacent to the sea area. That's why I began to wonder how much air range would be needed to air rebase into the 1 box.

Omnius
That should have worked. Perhaps the CVP's stacking value was more than could fit on the CV ?
Paul
Orm

RE: A Useful Page

Post by Orm »

The range is indeed halved when flying a naval air interception.

If you intercept from a hex adjacent to a hex dot then the interception ranges are as follows.
-1 MP or better to reach the 0 box
-3 MP or better to reach the 1 box
-7 MP or better to reach the 2 box
-13 MP or better to reach the 3 box
-21 MP or better to reach the 4 box
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Omnius

Thanks

Post by Omnius »

Orm,
Thanks for confirming my suspicions regarding the halved range for air interception in naval battles. Certainly makes it easier to now look at ranges and know in which phase which box air units can fly to. Naval Air Interception is great for placing air in low boxes while Naval Air is great for placing in high boxes although it takes up air movement limits.

Omnius
michaelbaldur

RE: Thanks

Post by michaelbaldur »

aval Air Interception is great for placing air in low boxes

that is why 1 or 2 nav2, are invaluable for the UK. placing them in Ireland the can cover convoys in both sea areas.

at least you force the Germans to spend 4 surprise points to select combat.
the wif rulebook is my bible

I work hard, not smart.

beta tester and Mwif expert

if you have questions or issues with the game, just contact me on Michaelbaldur1@gmail.com
Omnius

Air ASW Tricks

Post by Omnius »

michaelbaldur,
I'm enjoying learning the tricks to proper ASW defense. After not seeing the value of low range ASW planes I now see their beauty. Since they will fly to the Zero box to guard convoy points directly they don't need much range if properly placed. Putting them in places where they can cover more than one sea area at a time works well. Plus you can drop them in when they're actually needed in the air support subphase which means you don't burn an air mission doing it during Naval Air.

Omnius

Return to “World in Flames”