IdahoNYer vs LST (J AAR): GAME OVER!

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

LargeSlowTarget

IdahoNYer vs LST (J AAR): GAME OVER!

Post by LargeSlowTarget »

I have the honor to confront IdahoNYer in my first AE PBEM.

Having done several PBEMs with PacWar and Uncommon Valor and one PBEM in classic WitP, I would class myself as an "experienced noob" in AE.

IdahoNYer will play the Allies and I just realize that I have played Japan in all my PBEMs so far - I hope I have learned something from past defeats...

We are both "historic fanboys" and also do not "play to win" - we just want to enjoy a good game. So we will not go all-out for VPs to trigger an early auto-victory and fancy, unrealistic operations are unlikely. If auto-victory can be avoided and Japan is not invaded by November 1945, I will consider it a success.

Furthermore, we won't make supreme efforts for the optimization of pilot training / assignment, the economy etc. - it is a game, not a profession.

Expect a slow-motion game since RL will always have priority.

Btw, the name "Duel of the tankers" comes from the fact that both IdahoNYer and I have served in the armoured forces - he in the US 3rd Armoured Div in Germany not far from my hometown, I did a stint with the German Panzers.

Scenario settings:

Scenario: DaBigBabes-C with stacking limits, Scenario 29 Dec 8th Start
(we prefer the 8 Dec start as it sets the war conditions and gives a good blow to PH - often Dec 7th start PH results are skewed)

Beta: Latest version

FOW ON
Advanced weather ON
Allied damage control ON
PDU OFF
Historical first turn OFF
Dec 7 surprise NA
Reliable USN torps OFF
Realistic R&D ON
No unit withdrawals OFF
Reinforcements +/- 60 (this provides the most variables which for us is a plus)
Auto sub ops OFF
Turn cycle: 2 day turns [This does a couple of things. First, it moves the game forward a bit more rapidly than daily turns. But also, it puts a little caution into both players and actually slows the tempo of operations for both sides - which also enhances the realism.]

House Rules:

* No 4e naval bombing below 10k
* No dot base invasion/paradrops
* Restricted units must pay PPs to cross national borders [China theater only]
* Sweeps at 2nd best maneuver band
* Night bombing rules:
- naval attack missions limited to one air unit per attacking base
- airfield/port/industry attacks limited to one air unit per target base in 1941/42, two in 1943, three in 1944 and four in 1945
- no restrictions on area bombing i.e. manpower

We will do our own closed AARs - so no IdahoNYer past this point! [:-]
LargeSlowTarget

RE: Duel of the tankers - IdahoNYer vs. LargeSlowTarget (Japanese AAR)

So, what will be my strategy to delay the inevitable defeat of the Empire?

In the "expansion phase" the SRA needs to be taken quickly, of course. Also Burma must be occupied to close the Burma Road and the secure the western flank. Outposts need to be established to guard the the southern, eastern and northern flanks. That means Port Moresby, Milne Bay, Guadalcanal, the Gilberts and Wake must be conquered quickly.

In the "consolidation phase" early Allied attacks - if any - on outposts will be counter-attacked. For these counter-attacks, I will try to conserve strength and avoid overextension. That means no conquests of India, Australia, Alaska or deep into the Pacific as well as only limited goals in China.

I will try to creat "strategic moats" in order to keep key bases outside Allied fighter range (at least until long-legged fighters appear). To attack accross the "moats" the Allies will need 4Es and carriers and this will surely trigger some nice actions.

However, if possible I may nibble at Northern Australia and take some South Pacific bases to act as "speed bumps" with no intention to defend them but to force my opponent to waste some time and efforts to take them back.

For the "defensive phase" when the Allies have accumulated overwhelming strength, I will try to fall back slowly. Front-line bases will be held in enough strength to force considerable Allied preparations, but once invested, I will try to get the troops out to fight another day farther back.

Goals and force assignments for the expansion phase:

Initial force allocation will be guided by two thoughts:

1. Many pre-loaded convoys contain slow ships with low endurance - I use them on the closest invasion sites without much regard to administrative commands or target preparation.

2. Some LCUs are split in sub-units. The Bn-sized subunits are useful for garrison duty and will be kept, the Rgt-sized sub-units will be recombined into divisions for more punch.

HK:
- to be captured quickly but without risking thrashing 38th Div > massive LBA support planned
- 38th Div will then become theater reserve for PI / Malaya - if not needed, prepare for Palembang
- Arty units will transfer to 14th Army

PI:
- main airfields to be taken quickly
- Allied troops on Luzon to be contained at Bataan or Manila and starved into surrender
- prevent escape / resupply by naval and air blockade
- 48th Div, 56th Div (-), 21st Div, 65th Bde Northern Luzon > will contain Allies on Luzon
- 16th Div Southern Luzon > to be pulled-out and prepare for Java
- 2nd Div Mindanao > 1 Rgt + Bns will garrison Mindanao, 1 Rgt to attack the Visayas and garrison Cebu
- 146th Inf.Rgt of 56th Div detached at Babeldaob will take Tarakan and Balikpapan before joining parent unit on Luzon
- elements of 124th Inf.Rgt (31st Div) at Cam Ranh Bay will conquer Northern Borneo, then help attacking the Visayas and garrison Iloilo, Bacolod and Baybay > rest of Division will join attack as soon as released from China

Malaya:
- secure airfields in Northern Malaya
- then push enemy forces into Singapore
- prevent escape / resupply by naval and air blockade
- 5th Div, 18th Div, Imperial Guard Div, 33rd Div, 41st Inf Rgt (of 30th Div - other units of Div will follow after released from Korea) plus all tanks and arty units west of HK
- after the capture of Singapore, 5th, 18th and Guard Divs will be transferred to 15th Army, 33rd Div to 16th Army for Java and 30th Div will garrison Malaya
- 55th Div (-) will advance into Burma to secure Victoria Point, Mergui, Tavoy and Moulmein, then await reinforcements from 25th Army. The missing units (South Seas Detachment) will join parent without delay

Pacific:
- Navy SNFL troops to capture Guam, Wake, Tarawa, Ocean Is. and Nauru
- 4th Div plus Navy troops to capture Rabaul, Port Moresby, Guadalcanal
- supported and covered by KB

After Singapore is secured and the enemy PI forces are contained, 16th, 33rd and 38th Divs will capture and garrison Sumatra and Java. 5th, 18th, 55th and Guards will advance on Rangoon. After surrender of PI, the 21st, 48th and 56th Divs will become theater reserves. 65th Bde remain as garrison at Manila. Other divisions on garrison duty to be replaced with dedicated garrison troops in the reinforcement queue to become reserve troops as well. LCU reserves + shipping to be concentrated at Marianas for expected Allied counter-attacks in the Pacific.

Other plans:

* maximum ASW effort
- all float planes groups upgrading to Jakes will be maxed to 24 planes by Chitose/Chiyoda and train ASW at 1000 feet
- Jake production reserved for dedicated ASW groups
- majority of Lily / Sally level-bomber groups will eventually train and engage in ASW

* pilot training
- all float planes NOT upgrading to Jake will be maxed to 24 planes by Chitose/Chiyoda and train sweeps at 10.000 feet
- all groups not able to upgrade to Tojo / Tony reserved for training duty after conclusion of initial operations
- Army dive-bombers not assigned to China will train naval bombing after conclusion of initial operations
- all land-based Navy single-engined air groups will be maxed to 81 planes by Kaga and many will be assigned to naval search / attack training
- all 80+ pilots will be assigned to TRACOM

*Anti-4E-preparations
- research and production of Ki-45 pushed, groups able to upgrade to Ki-45 to be kept away from front line duty and set to training
- research of fighters and night-fighters with armor rating pushed

So much for the initial planning - let's see how much of the plan will survice contact with the enemy.
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

***lurking***
Pax
LargeSlowTarget

Welcome, PaxMondo - at least one "follower" [;)]

Ok, first turn received. Boss is away so I can take some time for an detailed AAR. It will be shorter on busy days (this is a "lunch break game" for me).

Btw, top priority is sinking CL-47 Boise - my opponent lives in the namesake city.

Here we go:

Dec 7th, 1941

Tora! Tora! Tora! The battle against the ABC powers has started with a devastating air attack against Pearl Harbor. Commander Fuchida, leader of the Pearl Harbor air strike, reports his damage assessment: "In the overwhelming surprise attack, the West Virginia, California and Arizona were sunk; badly damaged were the Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Nevada, Oklahoma and Maryland. More than 200 planes have been destroyed on the ground."

Southern Army HQ reports that air strikes against Clark Field in the Philippines have destroyed a large number of bombers and fighters on the ground. Air attacks will continue to clear the way for landing operations soon to commence.
Furthermore, Japanese troops have landed in Thailand and at Kota Bharu on the Malay peninsular. Enemy air attacks managed to set one transport on fire. Elements of the 18th Division are fighting at Kota Bharu to clear the landing beaches. Elements of the 5th Division are marching from Singora in Thailand to the Malay border town of Alor Star. Units of the 55th Division have secured key locations in Thailand and are advancing to the Burmese border.

Other operations are in preparation throughout the future Co-Prosperity Sphere.

Dec 8th, 1941

Malaya:

The first full day of the war starts with a submarine attack near Kota Bharu. SS I-157 is attacking xAKL Dai Tung on the surface - shell hits 11, heavy fires, heavy damage. Low on gun ammo, I-157 breaks off surface engagement and submerges.

At Kota Bharu, our troops are still fighting on the beaches. Enemy troops in brigade strength hiding in bunkers ("pillboxes") are slowing our advance, but fortifications have been reduced to level 1.

xAK Awajisan Maru, hit yesterday, sinks off Kota Bharu due to bomb and fire damage.

Feeble enemy air attacks are beaten off by our fighter cover operating from Singora. Our bombers in Indochina are grounded by weather.

HK:

The 38th Division and supporting units are advancing on Hong Kong. Army and Navy air units operating from Canton, Amoy and Takao have launched multiple recon missions and bombing attacks against shipping and port installations. Thunderstorms are interfering with bomb aiming - our agents in Hong Kong report only light damage.

PI:

Advance parties land on Batan Is. north of Luzon. They have orders to prepare an airbase in order to support opertions against Luzon. Convoys and warships are gathering near Takao for the invasion of Laoag and Aparri.

Sweep missions by Zeros based on Formosa down many enemy fighters in the vicinity of Manila:
Morning Air attack on Manila , at 79,77

Weather in hex: Light cloud

Raid spotted at 41 NM, estimated altitude 23,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 13 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 9

Allied aircraft
P-26A x 6
P-40E Warhawk x 36

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-26A: 1 destroyed
P-40E Warhawk: 3 destroyed

Raid spotted at 37 NM, estimated altitude 20,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 12 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 60

Allied aircraft
P-26A x 5
P-40E Warhawk x 28

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
P-26A: 4 destroyed
P-40E Warhawk: 14 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
26 x A6M2 Zero sweeping at 20000 feet *
20 x A6M2 Zero sweeping at 20000 feet *

Raid spotted at 36 NM, estimated altitude 23,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 11 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 9

No Japanese losses

Aircraft Attacking:
9 x A6M2 Zero sweeping at 20000 feet *

In the southern PI, Fast Transport TF 13 has arrived offshore of Jolo. Composed of cruisers Myoko, Haguro, Nachi and Nagara plus 11 destroyers, the TF is transporting the 1st Independent SNLF and small Engineer and air support units to set up an air base at Jolo in order to blockade the southern approaches to Luzon.

Small carrier Ryujo and a plane guard destroyer (Shiokaze) are covering this operation. They spot fair game:
Morning Air attack on TF, near Siquijor at 76,87

Weather in hex: Clear sky

Raid spotted at 3 NM, estimated altitude 7,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 1 minutes

Japanese aircraft
B5N1 Kate x 11

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
CL Boise

Aircraft Attacking:
11 x B5N1 Kate launching torpedoes at 200 feet
Naval Attack: 1 x 45cm Type 91 Torp

Alas, not hits on Boise... [:@]

Pacific:

Bombers operating from Roi-Namur set out to soften-up Wake for the upcoming invasion. Unknown to us, the enemy must have flown-in fighters to Wake very recently - we take painful loses. But that means that one or more US carriers must be in the vicinity!
Morning Air attack on Wake Island , at 136,98

Weather in hex: Heavy cloud

Raid spotted at 19 NM, estimated altitude 26,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 7 minutes

Japanese aircraft
G3M2 Nell x 21

Allied aircraft
F4F-3 Wildcat x 7

Japanese aircraft losses
G3M2 Nell: 5 destroyed, 3 damaged

No Allied losses

Runway hits 1

Aircraft Attacking:
14 x G3M2 Nell bombing from 24000 feet *
Airfield Attack: 2 x 250 kg GP Bomb

Kido Butai has left burning Pearl Harbor behind and has set course to Wake Is. to cover a scheduled landing operation. All strike groups have been set to naval attack in case of a chance encounter with US Fleet units suspected to operate between Pearl and Wake.

Our submarines redeploy around Pearl Harbor and report significant enemy ASW activitites. No damage on either side yet.

Dec 9th, 1941

Malaya:

Bombers operating from Indochina bases hit air bases at Alor Star and Georgetown and enemy troop concentrations at Kota Bharu.

Our troops at Kota Bharu reduce enemy fortifications. We will shock attack tomorrow.
Ground combat at Kota Bharu (51,75)

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 4234 troops, 66 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 264

Defending force 4033 troops, 40 guns, 1 vehicles, Assault Value = 83

Japanese adjusted assault: 103

Allied adjusted defense: 37

Japanese assault odds: 2 to 1 (fort level 1)

Japanese Assault reduces fortifications to 0

Combat modifiers
Defender: forts(+), preparation(-), morale(-), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
11 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Allied ground losses:
347 casualties reported
Squads: 32 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Guns lost 1 (1 destroyed, 0 disabled)

Assaulting units:
22nd Recon Regiment
56th Infantry Regiment
12th Engineer Regiment
91st Naval Guard Unit
18th Mountain Gun Regiment
5th JAAF AF Coy

Defending units:
FMSV Brigade
8th Indian Brigade
3rd ISF Base Force

Feeble enemy air attacks cause some losses on both sides.

No enemy naval activities spotted - but our SAG composed of Kongo, Haruna, Takao, Atago, Mogami, Mikuma, Suzuya, Kumano and Jintsu plus destroyer screen is patrolling between Singora and Kota Bharu and naval bombers are in readiness at Saigon should the Royal Navy show up.

Our submarines are redeploying to cover possible attack and escape routes and minelaying subs try to block potential bottlenecks:
SS I-122 lays minefield at Batu Pahat ( 49 , 82)
SS I-121 lays minefield near Palembang ( 49 , 90)

HK:

38th Division is still advancing on Hong Kong.

Bombing attacks continue with slightly better aim - weather is still lousy:
Afternoon Air attack on Hong Kong , at 77,61

Weather in hex: Severe storms

Raid detected at 60 NM, estimated altitude 20,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 21 minutes

Japanese aircraft
G3M2 Nell x 20
G4M1 Betty x 45

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
xAK Ming Sang, Bomb hits 1, on fire

Kwangchowan is occupied by the Japanese - must have been a 5th column.

PI:

Sweeps continue to clear the skies over Luzon:

Raid spotted at 38 NM, estimated altitude 20,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 9

Allied aircraft
P-26A x 3
P-40E Warhawk x 1

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
P-26A: 1 destroyed
P-40E Warhawk: 1 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
8 x A6M2 Zero sweeping at 20000 feet *

CAP engaged:
6th PS PAAC with P-26A (2 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(3 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
2 plane(s) intercepting now.
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 1 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 12000 , scrambling fighters between 0 and 12000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 8 minutes
35th PG/21st PS with P-40E Warhawk (1 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
1 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 14000 , scrambling fighters between 0 and 14000.
Raid is overhead

Raid spotted at 35 NM, estimated altitude 22,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 9

No Japanese losses

Aircraft Attacking:
9 x A6M2 Zero sweeping at 20000 feet *

Raid spotted at 34 NM, estimated altitude 26,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 30

No Japanese losses

Aircraft Attacking:
30 x A6M2 Zero sweeping at 20000 feet *

At Jolo, TF 13 has several encounters with enemy ships but sticks to its fast transport mission (no retirement) and evades combat - a downside of 2-day turns...
Task Force 13 encounters enemy Task Force at 74 , 90

Night Time Surface Combat, near Jolo at 74,90, Range 12,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CA Myoko
CA Haguro
CA Nachi
CL Nagara
DD Kuroshio
DD Oyashio
DD Hatsukaze
DD Natsushio
DD Yukikaze
DD Hayashio
DD Amatsukaze
DD Tokitsukaze
DD Yamakaze
DD Kawakaze
DD Umikaze
DD Suzukaze

Allied Ships
CM Prins van Oranje

Improved night sighting under 78% moonlight
Maximum visibility in Clear Conditions and 78% moonlight: 12,000 yards
CONTACT: Japanese lookouts spot Allied task force at 12,000 yards
Japanese TF attempts to evade combat
Range increases to 12,000 yards...
Range increases to 12,000 yards...
Both Task Forces evade combat

Night Time Surface Combat, near Jolo at 74,90, Range 11,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CA Myoko
CA Haguro
CA Nachi
CL Nagara
DD Kuroshio
DD Oyashio
DD Hatsukaze
DD Natsushio
DD Yukikaze
DD Hayashio
DD Amatsukaze
DD Tokitsukaze
DD Yamakaze
DD Kawakaze
DD Umikaze
DD Suzukaze

Allied Ships
CL Boise

Improved night sighting under 78% moonlight
Maximum visibility in Clear Conditions and 78% moonlight: 12,000 yards
CONTACT: Japanese lookouts spot Allied task force at 11,000 yards
CONTACT: Allied lookouts spot Japanese task force at 11,000 yards
CA Nachi engages CL Boise at 11,000 yards
Range closes to 7,000 yards
CA Nachi engages CL Boise at 7,000 yards
Range closes to 6,000 yards
CA Haguro engages CL Boise at 6,000 yards
CL Nagara engages CL Boise at 6,000 yards
Range increases to 7,000 yards
CL Boise engages CA Nachi at 7,000 yards
Range increases to 11,000 yards
CA Nachi engages CL Boise at 11,000 yards
CL Boise engages DD Umikaze at 11,000 yards
CL Boise engages DD Kuroshio at 11,000 yards
Japanese Task Force Manages to Escape
Task forces break off...

Day Time Surface Combat, near Jolo at 74,90, Range 20,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CA Myoko
CA Haguro
CA Nachi
CL Nagara
DD Kuroshio
DD Oyashio
DD Hatsukaze
DD Natsushio
DD Yukikaze
DD Hayashio
DD Amatsukaze
DD Tokitsukaze
DD Yamakaze
DD Kawakaze
DD Umikaze
DD Suzukaze

Allied Ships
xAP Legaspi

Maximum visibility in Clear Conditions: 30,000 yards
CONTACT: Japanese lookouts spot Allied task force at 20,000 yards
Japanese TF attempts to evade combat
Range increases to 25,000 yards...
Range increases to 30,000 yards...
Range increases to 30,000 yards...
Both Task Forces evade combat

Grr, Boise escapes again! [:o]

But Ryujo draws first blood:
Morning Air attack on TF, near Zamboanga at 75,87

Weather in hex: Thunderstorms

Raid spotted at 13 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 5 minutes

Japanese aircraft
B5N1 Kate x 1

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
AV Langley, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:
1 x B5N1 Kate launching torpedoes at 200 feet
Naval Attack: 1 x 45cm Type 91 Torp

Nice - one plane, one hit. But I would have preferred a hit on Boise. And Ryujo has now exhausted its torpedo supply...

Furthermore, hunting Langley prevented Ryujo's air group from covering our TF 13 luckily the big B-17s are poor anti-shipping platforms:
Morning Air attack on TF, near Jolo at 74,90

Raid spotted at 17 NM, estimated altitude 18,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 4 minutes

Allied aircraft
B-17D Fortress x 4

No Allied losses

Japanese Ships
CA Nachi

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x B-17D Fortress bombing from 16000 feet *
Naval Attack: 4 x 500 lb SAP Bomb

Carrier support unable to supply air cover..

Our minelaying subs are also busy in PI waters:
SS I-123 lays minefield at Busuanga ( 77 , 80)
SS I-124 lays minefield near Busuanga ( 78 , 80)

Submarine attack near Bataan at 77,77

Japanese Ships
SS I-124

Allied Ships
xAK John Lykes, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage

xAK John Lykes is sighted by SS I-124
SS I-124 launches 2 torpedoes

xAK John Lykes is reported to have been sunk near Bataan on Dec 09, 1941

Pacific:

Air strikes and losses continue at Wake - another downside of 2-day turns...
Morning Air attack on Wake Island , at 136,98

Raid spotted at 14 NM, estimated altitude 26,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
G3M2 Nell x 25

Allied aircraft
F4F-3 Wildcat x 11

Japanese aircraft losses
G3M2 Nell: 1 destroyed, 2 damaged

No Allied losses

Runway hits 1

Aircraft Attacking:
15 x G3M2 Nell bombing from 24000 feet *

CAP engaged:
VMF-211 Det with F4F-3 Wildcat (2 airborne, 5 on standby, 4 scrambling)
2 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 15000
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 38 minutes

Light forces capture Nauru Island:
Pre-Invasion action off Nauru Island (127,128)

Japanese Ships
DD Asanagi
CM Okinoshima
CM Tokiwa
PB Nagata Maru

Allied ground losses:
179 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 7 destroyed, 7 disabled
Engineers: 2 destroyed, 2 disabled
Guns lost 4 (2 destroyed, 2 disabled)

DD Asanagi firing at Wren Det.
CM Okinoshima firing at Wren Det.
CM Tokiwa firing at Wren Det.
PB Nagata Maru fired at enemy troops
DD Asanagi fired at enemy troops
CM Tokiwa fired at enemy troops

Amphibious Assault at Nauru Island (127,128)

TF 15 troops unloading over beach at Nauru Island, 127,128

Japanese ground losses:
22 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 0 disabled

17 troops of a SNLF Inf Squad 41 lost overboard during unload of 51st Nav Gd

Ground combat at Nauru Island (127,128)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 1805 troops, 12 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 60

Defending force 0 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 0

Japanese adjusted assault: 53

Allied adjusted defense: 1

Japanese assault odds: 53 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Nauru Island !!!

Combat modifiers
Attacker: shock(+), leaders(-)

Assaulting units:
51st Naval Guard Unit

Kido Butai is crossing between Pearl Harbor and Midway, following and covering the assigned oiler group acting as bait. Search planes (Soryu's entire Kate complement) find nothing in the assigned sectors from south to west.
Attachments
PearlHarbor.jpg
PearlHarbor.jpg (175.4 KiB) Viewed 973 times
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Good luck! [:)]

Reading both sides so will tightly restrict my comments.
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Good luck. I routinely play 2 day turns against the AI, when I played the AI.

The major area of concern is:

Cap traps & Bombing Runs -- get air superiority first, escort and lrcap every bomber mission

deliberate attacks...if you have a 2-1 or better you will deliberate attack a second day...can be nasty if reinforcements for the other side arrive or you suffer badly in the 1st days attack

Naval: longer raids are possible since they can not react to your advance.

Good Luck!
Richard III

Post by Richard III »

Banzai !!

and subscribed to both so no comments on either from me.

PS: I`m another old guy here who PBEM`ed PacWar.[8D].
“History would be a wonderful thing – if it were only true.”

¯ Leo Tolstoy
Mike McCreery

Post by Mike McCreery »

ORIGINAL: Richard III

Banzai !!

and subscribed to both so no comments on either from me.

PS: I`m another old guy here who PBEM`ed PacWar.[8D].

I PBM'd Pacific War back before it was trendy to send stuff through FTP... Mailed a 3.5" floppy back and forth. Those were the good old days :P
Bif1961

Post by Bif1961 »

Looking forward to seeing how things develop over the course of this gay between two friends.
Bif1961

Post by Bif1961 »

sorry noticed my typo meant game, though there is nothing wrong with that.
LargeSlowTarget

Thanks for all visits, comments and Freudian slips so far [;)]

IdahoNYer and I have met here on the forum very recently, so we are friends in the Facebook sense only. But we get along fine and have discovered some commonalities - we have both served in the armoured forces of our respective countries, he has been stationed in my home state in Germany for some time and I have spent a year as an exchange student in his native New York state, and we are both "historic fanboys" with the same playing style - for fun, not for winning.

So, here we go with turn 2:

12/10/41 & 12/11/41

China:

Troops in China are launching operations to clear lines of communication. The first action was ground combat at Pengpu (90,50):

Defeated Allied Units Retreating!

Assaulting units:
13th Ind.Mixed Brigade
12th RGC Ind. Brigade

Defending units:
89th Chinese Corps

US submarines of the Asiatic Fleet have made their presence known in Formosa waters. We have expected this and several local patrols of three subchasers each have been positioned at strategic locations at Formosa and China ports. We have also ordered AGs to various ports on the China coast for replenishing depth charges of the local ASW forces. However, no escorts were available to prevent or at least avenge the first success of the US underwater pirates:
Submarine attack near Shaohing at 93,60

Japanese Ships
AG Okuyo Maru, Torpedo hits 1, heavy damage

Allied Ships
SS Stingray

AG Okuyo Maru is sighted by SS Stingray
SS Stingray launches 2 torpedoes

AG Okuyo Maru sinks....

As a consequence, Naval HQ has ordered the conversion of suitable small ships into ASW platforms for the newly-established convoy escort command.

HK:

At Hong Kong, bombing attacks have damaged several merchant ships and port facilities.

DM Thracian fleeing from Hong Kong (or on an offensive minelaying mission in Formosa Strait?) encountered one of our ASW patrols hunting enemy subs off Swatow:

Day Time Surface Combat, near Swatow at 82,64, Range 12,000 Yards
Japanese Ships
SC Ch 4
SC Ch 5
SC Ch 6, Shell hits 4, heavy fires, heavy damage

Allied Ships
DM Thracian

SC Ch 6 sinks....

A cruiser-destroyer force nearby on the way to Borneo intercepted but failed to sink the intruder:
Day Time Surface Combat, near Swatow at 82,64, Range 21,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CA Maya
CA Ashigara, Shell hits 1
CL Natori
CL Kuma
DD Yamagumo
DD Satsuki
DD Minazuki
DD Fumizuki
DD Nagatsuki
DD Asakaze
DD Harukaze
DD Matsukaze
DD Hatakaze

Allied Ships
DM Thracian, Shell hits 1

DM Thracian escaped into a rain squall - wheather is still very bad in the Hong Kong / Swatow area.

Bad weather however did not prevent the British Naval Air Forces from attacking - we cannot fail to admire their spirit!
Morning Air attack on TF, near Swatow at 81,62

Raid spotted at 15 NM, estimated altitude 6,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 9 minutes

Allied aircraft
Vildebeest III x 3

No Allied losses

Japanese Ships
SC Ch 5, Bomb hits 3, and is sunk

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x Vildebeest III bombing from 5000 feet
Naval Attack: 2 x 500 lb GP Bomb

Heavy smoke from fires obscuring SC Ch 5

Loss of SC Ch 5 on Dec 11, 1941 is admitted

A bad start for Japanese ASW forces - two subchasers and a tender sunk for nothing in return.

The one bright spot is that 38th Division and consorts have arrived at the "Gindrinkers line" near Hong Kong unmolested - they will start bombarding tomorrow.

PI - Luzon:

The little island of Camiguin off Luzon has been occupied by the Japanese Rowboat Corps.

Navy paratroops paved the way for the invasion of Luzon:
25 x L3Y2 Tina dropping Yokosuka 1st SNLF at Laoag
23 x Ki-57-I Topsy dropping Yokosuka 1st SNLF at Laoag
8 x Ki-57-I Topsy dropping Yokosuka 1st SNLF at Laoag

Japanese forces CAPTURE Laoag !!!

Amphibious forces carrying the bulk of 14th Army have arrived off Laoag and started unloading.
Air cover is furnished by Nates on LRCAP from Batan Is. and Zero sweeps from Takao, but they have encountered no opposition.
Furthermore, Task Force 281 has layed defensive minefield at Laoag to discourage submarine and surface interventions.

Another Luzon assault prong was directed at Aparri, this time spearheaded by special naval landing forces:
Amphibious Assault at Aparri (82,73)

TF 96 troops unloading over beach at Aparri, 82,73

Japanese ground losses:

75mm T41 Rgt Gun lost in surf during unload of Sasebo 1st SNLF

One of our convoys has encountered pesky little DM Thracian again off Luzon - and she has escaped once more...
Night Time Surface Combat, near Iba at 77,70, Range 8,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
DD Sazanami
DD Ushio, Shell hits 1
AMC Asaka Maru
xAK Kano Maru

Allied Ships
DM Thracian, Shell hits 1, on fire

Southern PI:

Efforts are being made to establish a naval blockade and to catch Allied shipping fleeing the PIs.

In order to block the southern route to Manila, Japanese forces captured Jolo. The base will be prepared to receive planes asap.

Assaulting units:
1st Engineer Co
1st Indpt SNLF Coy
2nd JNAF Coy
3rd JNAF Coy
9th JNAF Coy

Minelayers have been ordered to block the passages at Basilan and Zamboanga. However, CM Yaeyama stumbled across an Allied sub:
Sub attack near Dadjangas at 78,94

Japanese Ships
CM Yaeyama, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage

Allied Ships
SS KXVI

SS KXVI launches 6 torpedoes
KXVI diving deep ....
Sub escapes detection

CM Yaeyama sinks....
CDR Hirabe, C. has been KILLED

Too bad, Dutch torpedos DO work even in 1941...

Fast transport TF 13 has been split into smaller SAGs of one cruiser + 2-3 DDs each, with orders to catch shipping fleeing from the PIs. Nachi and Myoko SAGs blocked the Makassar Strait bottleneck, Nagara patroled between Jolo and Tawi Tawi and Haguro stayed at Jolo with react orders.
Night Time Surface Combat, near Tapul at 73,90, Range 9,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CL Nagara
DD Kuroshio
DD Oyashio

Allied Ships
xAP Legaspi, Shell hits 4, and is sunk

Night Time Surface Combat, near Jolo at 74,90, Range 10,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CA Haguro
DD Hayashio
DD Amatsukaze
DD Tokitsukaze

Allied Ships
CM Prins van Oranje, Shell hits 2, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk

Night Time Surface Combat, near Donggala at 69,96, Range 9,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CA Myoko, Shell hits 1
DD Yamakaze
DD Kawakaze, Shell hits 1
DD Umikaze
DD Suzukaze

Allied Ships
DD John D. Ford
xAP President Madison, Shell hits 7

Day Time Surface Combat, near Samarinda at 68,96, Range 20,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CA Nachi
DD Hatsukaze
DD Natsushio
DD Yukikaze

Allied Ships
xAP Don Esteban, Shell hits 1, and is sunk

Day Time Surface Combat, near Samarinda at 68,96, Range 25,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CA Nachi
DD Hatsukaze
DD Natsushio
DD Yukikaze

Allied Ships
AM Tanager, Shell hits 12, and is sunk
TK Gertrude Kellogg, Shell hits 8, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk

Day Time Surface Combat, near Samarinda at 68,96, Range 21,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CA Nachi
DD Hatsukaze
DD Natsushio
DD Yukikaze

Allied Ships
AVP Heron, Shell hits 14, and is sunk

Not bad, but Boise has escaped...

Cruiser scout planes and long-range naval search from Babeldoap found nothing else in Maklassar Strait and around Jolo, but discoverd numerous enemy TFs EAST of Mindanao and in the vicinity of Talaud-eilanden. TFs still provided with ample ammo are racing off in pursuit.

CVL Ryujo, on her way back to Babeldaob to replenish torpedos, launched a strike at the airfield at Cagayan - it is suspected that B-17s operate from this air field, as some of our convoys have been attacked unsuccesfully by the big bombers. Unfortunately no bombers have been found, but one fighter was torched on the ground:
Afternoon Air attack on Cagayan , at 79,89

Raid spotted at 15 NM, estimated altitude 8,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A5M4 Claude x 16
B5N1 Kate x 15

Allied aircraft
P-40B Warhawk x 2

Japanese aircraft losses
A5M4 Claude: 1 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
P-40E Warhawk: 1 destroyed on ground

Airbase hits 5
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 9

Aircraft Attacking:
10 x A5M4 Claude bombing from 6000 feet
Airfield Attack: 2 x 30 kg GP Bomb
15 x B5N1 Kate bombing from 6000 feet

The damaged A5M4 Claude from Ryujo-1 is reported missing.

By chance, CVL Ryujo ended the day not too far from the gaggle of fleeing Allied ships sighted by naval search near Talaud-eilanden. She is ordered to expend remaining bomb sorties against Allied ships before returning to port to replenish.

Borneo:

With calculated risk, single-ship forces covered by a cruiser SAG have been sent out from Cam Ranh Bay to invade a cluster of positions in Northern Borneo.

Some invasion forces reached their targets:
Amphibious Assault at Kudat (69,86)

TF 292 troops unloading over beach at Kudat, 69,86

Amphibious Assault at Balabac (70,84)

17 troops of a SNLF Inf Squad 41 lost from landing craft during unload of III/81st Nav Gd

Balabac is occupied by the Japanese

Unfortunately one TF stumbled over a US submarine:
Submarine attack near Balabac at 68,83

Japanese Ships
xAK Daigen Maru, Shell hits 3, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage

Allied Ships
SS Sturgeon

Japanese ground losses:
79 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 3 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

xAK Daigen Maru is sighted by SS Sturgeon
SS Sturgeon attacking on the surface

xAK Daigen Maru sinks....
CDR Terada, H. has been KILLED
I/81st Naval Guard Unit destroyed near Balabac !!!
Sturgeon no longer virgin!

WTF? Aren't US Mk 14 torpedoes supposed to be duds well into 1943? The Invasion of Jesselton has been postponed.

Even worse has been prevented - British DDs run into our covering force:
Day Time Surface Combat, near Balabac at 69,83, Range 15,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CL Sendai
DD Isonami
DD Uranami, Shell hits 1
DD Shikinami

Allied Ships
DD Scout, Shell hits 9, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Thanet, Shell hits 3, heavy fires

Malaya:

In true spirit, the aggressive RAF launched fighter sweeps against our landing beaches - Nates and Buffalos tangled and each side lost one or two planes.

Our bombers in Indochina continued to bomb air fields in northern Malaya and supported ground operation at Kota Bharu.

The ground forces at Kota managed to rout the defenders and captured the base.
Japanese forces CAPTURE Kota Bharu !!!

8th Indian Brigade RETREATING towards Temuloh
FMSV Brigade SURRENDERS !!!
3rd ISF Base Force SURRENDERS !!!

Assaulting units:
22nd Recon Regiment
56th Infantry Regiment
12th Engineer Regiment
91st Naval Guard Unit
18th Mountain Gun Regiment
5th JAAF AF Coy

The 8th Indian Brigade retreated inland along the railroad track. Our combat team from the 18th Division will try to outflank them by marching along the coast to Kuantan. The Naval Guards and AF unit will stay behind to defend Kota Bharu. The balance of the 18th Division is slated to land at Singora. The division will eventually recombine for the assault on Singapore.

A regiment of the 5th Division has cut across the peninsula and is now preventing reinforcement and evacuation of Alor Star. Other elements of the division are still advancing on Alor Star from the north.

Pacific:

Our invasion force closing in on Wake is surprised to find itself on the receiving end of US Navy dive bombers - one or more US carriers definitely have flown-in reinforcements and might still be lurking out there! Kido Butai is ordered to expedite the return from PH. The invasion force and its cruiser screen are only 40 miles from its destination and will go in nonetheless for a night landing - in this situation, we can win more from fighting than from fleeing.

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Wake Island at 135,99

Weather in hex: Moderate rain

Raid spotted at 9 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 3 minutes

Allied aircraft
SB2U-3 Vindicator x 3

No Allied losses

Japanese Ships
AMC Kinryu Maru, Bomb hits 2, on fire

Japanese ground losses:
32 casualties reported

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x SB2U-3 Vindicator releasing from 4000'
Naval Attack: 1 x 1000 lb SAP Bomb

Our submarines around PH report heavy ASW activities by air and surface. Nonetheless, one of our subs manages to sink a merchantman:
Sub attack near Lihue at 177,104

Japanese Ships
SS I-25

Allied Ships
xAK Florence D., Torpedo hits 1, heavy damage
DM Ramsay

SS I-25 launches 2 torpedoes at xAK Florence D.
I-25 diving deep ....
DM Ramsay fails to find sub, continues to search...
DM Ramsay attacking submerged sub ....
DM Ramsay is out of ASW ammo
Escort abandons search for sub

xAK Florence D. is reported to have been sunk near Lihue on Dec 10, 1941

The isolated American base of Guam is slated for invasion and a cruiser force is paving the way:
Night Naval bombardment of Guam at 106,95

Japanese Ships
CA Kako
CA Furutaka
CA Kinugasa
CA Aoba
DD Yuzuki
DD Kikuzuki
DD Uzuki
DD Oboro

Allied ground losses:
445 casualties reported
Non Combat: 17 destroyed, 22 disabled
Engineers: 3 destroyed, 5 disabled

Airbase hits 12
Airbase supply hits 8
Runway hits 31
Port hits 47
Port fuel hits 6
Port supply hits 3

E7K2 Alf acting as spotter for CA Kako
CA Kako firing at Guam
CA Furutaka firing at Guam
CA Kinugasa firing at Guam
CA Aoba firing at Guam
DD Yuzuki firing at Guam
DD Kikuzuki firing at Guam
DD Uzuki firing at Guam
DD Oboro firing at Guam

Spotters are a must for bombardment runs! TF 113 has troops unloading over beach at Guam, 106,95 - they will attack tomorrow.

In the South Pacific, our Nauru invasion force is investigated by a lone US cruiser - apparently it did not expect the destroyer screen detached for this eventuality which scares it away:
Night Time Surface Combat, near Nauru Island at 127,128, Range 7,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
DD Asanagi
DD Yunagi, Shell hits 1

Allied Ships
CA Louisville, Shell hits 4

Maximum visibility in Overcast Conditions and 46% moonlight: 8,000 yards
Range closes to 9,000 yards...
Range closes to 7,000 yards...
CONTACT: Japanese lookouts spot Allied task force at 7,000 yards
Japanese open fire on surprised Allied ships at 7,000 yards
DD Yunagi launches Torpedoes at CA Louisville at 7,000 yards
DD Asanagi launches Torpedoes at CA Louisville at 7,000 yards
Range closes to 5,000 yards
CA Louisville engages DD Asanagi at 5,000 yards
CA Louisville engages DD Asanagi at 5,000 yards
Range closes to 3,000 yards
CA Louisville engages DD Asanagi at 3,000 yards
Range increases to 6,000 yards
CA Louisville engages DD Yunagi at 6,000 yards
CA Louisville engages DD Asanagi at 6,000 yards
Range increases to 10,000 yards
CA Louisville engages DD Yunagi at 10,000 yards
CA Louisville engages DD Asanagi at 10,000 yards
Task forces break off...

Too bad that no torpedo connected...

Other observations:

Reports reveal a high attrition of airframes and pilots to combat damage and operation losses:
A6M2 Zero from Yamada Det S-1 crashes on landing
A6M2 Zero from Tainan Ku S-1/B crashes on landing
Pilot killed in landing accident of Ki-48-Ib Lily from 90th Sentai
Ki-43-Ia Oscar from 59th Sentai crashes on landing
Pilot killed in landing accident of A6M2 Zero from Tainan Ku S-1/C
Ki-27b Nate from 11th Sentai is written off
Damaged Ki-27b Nate from 1st Sentai does not return
Damaged Ki-27b Nate from 1st Sentai is missing
4M1 Betty from Kanoya Ku K-1 crashes on landing
Pilot killed in landing accident of A6M2 Zero from Yamada Det S-1
Pilot killed in landing accident of Ki-48-Ib Lily from 8th Sentai
Ki-43-Ib Oscar from 64th Sentai is written off
Ki-48-Ib Lily from 82nd I.F.Chutai is written off

That is scary...

I recognize that my opponent is quite aggressive - dive bombers on Wake, cruisers sent to invasion sites, fighter sweeps with Buffalos etc. That surely injects even more caution in my operations!
DanSez

Post by DanSez »

Good luck in your efforts.

I have not played DBBs so I will be reading much more than posting.
The Commander's job is to orchestrate and direct the three major dimensions of combat - space, time and force. Shattered Sword, the Untold Story of the Battle of Midway
LargeSlowTarget

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Dec 12&13, 1941

Malaya:

Advance forces are nearing Alor Star. The second wave has landed with reinforcements at Singora and the Imperial Guards Division has arrived by train from Bangkok. The march south to Singapore is about to begin in earnest.

But not all reinforcements will reach Malaysia thanks to the US submarine service:
Submarine attack near Cam Ranh Bay at 65,75

Japanese Ships
xAK Zyunyo Maru, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage

Allied Ships
SS S-41

Japanese ground losses:
23 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 2 (2 destroyed, 0 disabled)

xAK Zyunyo Maru is sighted by SS S-41
SS S-41 launches 2 torpedoes

Loss of xAK Zyunyo Maru on Dec 13, 1941 is admitted

In the air, feable Allied air attacks on convoys off Singora by a handful of Blenheims are beaten off by our Nate CAP. Our bombers continue to hit Alor Star and Georgetown and 15th Indian Brigade trapped at Alor Star. Major re-basing is scheduled for the next days with the arrival of some AV support at the front.

China:

Some Chineses troops are observed moving off towards the interior. We have troops moving to cut them off.

Our air forces in China are not very strong at the moment but we throw-in some air attacks in the hope of slowing the escape down. Here is one example:
Morning Air attack on 30th Chinese Corps, at 85,48 , near Sinyang

Raid spotted at 12 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-27b Nate x 19

No Japanese losses

Allied ground losses:
74 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 3 disabled

Aircraft Attacking:
19 x Ki-27b Nate bombing from 10000 feet
Ground Attack: 2 x 50 kg GP Bomb

However, the AVG seems to have moved to Changsha and has sprung an ambush:
Morning Air attack on 4th Chinese Corps, at 81,52 (Siangtan)

Weather in hex: Heavy rain

Raid spotted at 17 NM, estimated altitude 20,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-51 Sonia x 9

Allied aircraft
H81-A3 x 9

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-51 Sonia: 4 destroyed

No Allied losses

CAP engaged:
AVG/2nd Sqn with H81-A3 (9 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(9 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
9 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 20000 , scrambling fighters between 0 and 20000.
Raid is overhead

Ouch! I have overlooked the air group detachments at Nanchang, operating without AV support, and they have decided to get decimated over Siangtan on their own...

Hong Kong:

Walrus float planes try some more attacks on passing TFs but are unsuccessful. The Vildebeests however are a different story:
Morning Air attack on TF, near Swatow at 80,63

Weather in hex: Clear sky

Raid spotted at 1 NM, estimated altitude 7,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 0 minutes

Allied aircraft
Vildebeest III x 3

No Allied losses

Japanese Ships
xAK Somedono Maru, Bomb hits 4, heavy fires, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x Vildebeest III bombing from 5000 feet
Naval Attack: 2 x 500 lb GP Bomb

Heavy smoke from fires obscuring xAK Somedono Maru

xAK Somedono Maru sinks at sea

*Grr* - 2-day turns! Need to check the routing instructions for TFs within TWO days sailing distance of HK, not just one day...

Our own air attacks on HK are not very effective - not much damage done for the number of planes engaged. 15k and 18k is high for ground attack, but I want to avoid flak losses. Every attack has at least one plane damaged and we suffered one Sally destroyed by flak. Out of six attacks in two days, only one draws enemy blood:
Afternoon Air attack on Hong Kong Fortress, at 77,61 (Hong Kong)

Weather in hex: Overcast

Raid detected at 56 NM, estimated altitude 23,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 19 minutes

Japanese aircraft
G3M2 Nell x 20
G4M1 Betty x 30

Japanese aircraft losses
G3M2 Nell: 1 damaged

Allied ground losses:
8 casualties reported

Aircraft Attacking:
15 x G4M1 Betty bombing from 18000 feet
Ground Attack: 2 x 250 kg GP Bomb, 4 x 60 kg GP Bomb
15 x G4M1 Betty bombing from 18000 feet
20 x G3M2 Nell bombing from 18000 feet

First ground bombardments do little better:
Ground combat at Hong Kong (77,61) on Dec 12

Japanese Bombardment attack

Attacking force 25260 troops, 354 guns, 169 vehicles, Assault Value = 751

Defending force 8082 troops, 132 guns, 72 vehicles, Assault Value = 228

Japanese ground losses:
24 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 1 disabled

Allied ground losses:
71 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 5 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 0 disabled

Ground combat at Hong Kong (77,61) on Dec 13

Japanese Bombardment attack

Attacking force 25303 troops, 354 guns, 169 vehicles, Assault Value = 753

Defending force 8052 troops, 132 guns, 72 vehicles, Assault Value = 225

Japanese ground losses:
14 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Allied ground losses:
48 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 8 disabled

Assaulting units:
19th Ind Engineer Regiment
1st Ind.Inf.Group
68th Ind.Infantry Battalion
66th Infantry Regiment
38th Division
67th Ind.Infantry Battalion
20th Ind Engineer Regiment
21st Mortar Battalion
2nd Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
1st Hvy.Artillery Regiment
3rd Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
10th Ind. Mountain Gun Regiment
2nd RF Gun Battalion
2nd Mortar Battalion
5th RF Gun Battalion
23rd Army
20th Ind. Mtn Gun Battalion

Defending units:
Rifles of Canada Battalion
Winnipeg Grenadiers Battalion
1st Middlesex Battalion
Kowloon Brigade
102nd RN Base Force
Hong Kong Fortress

We will re-think our air attack strategy against HK - starting with airfield attacks instead of ground attacks in the next war! For now, we will try something else against the annoying HK air force. I have already ordered two BBs to Takao. And we will try a deliberate ground attack to see if we can get some results.

Borneo:

Sandakan is occupied by the Japanese Rowboat Corps on Dec 13

2nd Sasebo SNLF Coy CAPTURE Kudat !!!

We launch an Amphibious Assault at Miri (64,87). Unfortunately the invasion force stumbles accross two four-stackers fleeing Manila via the western exit.
Night Time Surface Combat, near Miri at 64,87, Range 9,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
APD Aoi, Shell hits 8, heavy fires, heavy damage
TB Kasasagi, Shell hits 1
AMc Wa 19, Shell hits 1
xAK Hokko Maru
xAK Zinzan Maru, Shell hits 1
xAK Kinkasan Maru
xAK Ryuyo Maru
xAK Meiu Maru
xAK Teisen Maru
xAK Giyu Maru
xAKL Kembu Maru
xAKL Kiko Maru, Shell hits 4, heavy fires
xAKL Anbo Maru, Shell hits 1

Allied Ships
DD Peary
DD Pope, Shell hits 1

Pumps fail aboard APD Aoi, flooding increases...
Difficulty controlling flooding aboard APD Aoi
APD Aoi sinks at sea

Meanwhile, the SAG tasked to cover the invasion engaged in merchant hunting and the rendevous at Miri was thus delayed:
Night Time Surface Combat, near Miri at 65,84, Range 12,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CL Sendai
DD Isonami
DD Uranami
DD Shikinami

Allied Ships
xAKL Paz, Shell hits 9, and is sunk
xAKL Anakan, Shell hits 11, and is sunk

The destroyers were not enough - Allied small fry operating a long way from home. Are they fleeing as well or is this an aggressive forward-defense?
Night Time Surface Combat, near Balabac at 70,84, Range 9,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
xAK Zyunyo Maru, Shell hits 2

Allied Ships
PT-31
PT-32
PT-33

In the meantime, the covering SAG moves off as well to tangle with another intruder:
Day Time Surface Combat, near Balabac at 69,83, Range 20,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CA Chokai
CL Isuzu
DD Fubuki
DD Usugumo
DD Shirayuki
DD Hatsuyuki

Allied Ships
xAK Capillo, Shell hits 16, and is sunk
Three freighters against an APD - mmh...

DD Thanet is running for his life along the north coast of Borneo across the submarine cordon placed against eventual intrusions of Force Z:
Submarine attack near Groot Natoena at 57,84

Japanese Ships
SS I-165

Allied Ships
DD Thanet

DD Thanet is sighted by SS I-165
SS I-165 launches 4 torpedoes

Sub attack near Serasan at 56,85

Japanese Ships
SS I-162

Allied Ships
DD Thanet

DD Thanet is sighted by SS I-162
SS I-162 launches 2 torpedoes

Submarine attack near Serasan at 56,86

Japanese Ships
SS I-164

Allied Ships
DD Thanet

DD Thanet is sighted by SS I-164
SS I-164 launches 2 torpedoes

Submarine attack near Billiton at 52,91

Japanese Ships
SS I-157

Allied Ships
DD Thanet

DD Thanet is sighted by SS I-157
SS I-157 launches 2 torpedoes

10 torpedos for nothing! Well, maybe I should be happy that no submarine was sunk?

Northern PI:

Itbayat Island is occupied by the Japanese Rowboat Corps

Sasebo 1st SNLF CAPTURE Aparri !!!

14th Army is ashore at Laoag and starts the advance down the coast.

Zero sweeps finds nothing over Manila and Clark Field, but recon shows 24 fighters at Manila. If he refuses to fly CAP, it might be time to send some bombers to kill them on the ground.

At sea, we find that pesky little DM Thracian is still around...
Night Time Surface Combat, near Bataan at 77,77, Range 10,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CA Maya
CA Ashigara, Shell hits 1
CL Natori
DD Yamagumo
DD Satsuki
DD Minazuki
DD Fumizuki
DD Nagatsuki, heavy damage

Allied Ships
DM Thracian, Shell hits 3, on fire

A SAG on its way to Jolo find a small freighter near Subic Bay - a late attempt to flee or resupply efforts?
Day Time Surface Combat, near Subic Bay at 77,76, Range 21,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CA Maya
CA Ashigara
CL Natori
DD Yamagumo
DD Satsuki
DD Minazuki
DD Fumizuki

Allied Ships
xAKL Yat Shing, Shell hits 12, and is sunk

Central PI:

16th Division is conducting an Amphibious Assault at Legaspi (82,82)

TF 107 troops unloading over beach at Legaspi, 82,82

Japanese ground losses:
143 casualties reported
Squads: 8 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 8 destroyed, 0 disabled
Vehicles lost 1 (1 destroyed, 0 disabled)

The covering forces react to various sightings of merchant ships in the area - fleeing or running supplies to Luzon?
Night Time Surface Combat, near Catanduanes at 88,81, Range 11,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
BB Ise
BB Hyuga
DD Wakatake

Allied Ships
TK Mindanao, Shell hits 2, and is sunk
xAK Yu Sang, Shell hits 5, and is sunk

Night Time Surface Combat, near Legaspi at 95,82, Range 10,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
BB Nagato
BB Fuso
DD Kuretake
DD Sanae

Allied Ships
xAKL Escalante, Shell hits 7, and is sunk
xAKL Sarangami, Shell hits 8, and is sunk

Day Time Surface Combat, near Legaspi at 84,82, Range 24,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
BB Nagato
BB Fuso
DD Kuretake
DD Sanae

Allied Ships
xAK James Lykes, Shell hits 18, and is sunk

Day Time Surface Combat, near Legaspi at 83,82, Range 26,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
BB Nagato
BB Fuso
DD Kuretake
DD Sanae

Allied Ships
xAKL Sagoland, Shell hits 3, and is sunk

Day Time Surface Combat, near Dinagat at 81,87, Range 21,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
BB Ise
BB Hyuga
DD Wakatake

Allied Ships
xAKL Regulus, Shell hits 2, and is sunk

Southern PI:

Apparently the Allies do not like our new base at Jolo:
Morning Air attack on Jolo , at 74,90

Raid spotted at 17 NM, estimated altitude 14,000 feet.

Allied aircraft
B-17D Fortress x 6

Allied aircraft losses
B-17D Fortress: 1 damaged

Airbase hits 3
Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 9

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x B-17D Fortress bombing from 14000 feet *
Airfield Attack: 4 x 500 lb GP Bomb
3 x B-17D Fortress bombing from 14000 feet *
Airfield Attack: 4 x 500 lb GP Bomb

Some float planes have set up camp at Jolo and we have reinforcements on the way to establish a proper air base ready as soon as Netties and Zeros have finished their current assignments at Hong Kong and Luzon. The convoy is hidding off Palawan awaiting arrival of the SAG escort - which has been delayed by the chance encounter with xAKL Yat Shing off Subic Bay.

Our SAGs operating in Makassar Strait bottleneck and around Jolo have been directed to intercept Allied merchant shipping spotted by naval search around Talaud-eilanden. Courses have been set for sweeps around the Moluccas islands - and they promptly run into the Dutch Navy! Luckily the seperate SAGs dish out more than they receive.

Myoko SAG:
Day Time Surface Combat, near Manado at 76,100, Range 25,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CA Myoko, Shell hits 2
DD Yamakaze
DD Kawakaze
DD Umikaze
DD Suzukaze, Shell hits 1

Allied Ships
CL De Ruyter
CL Tromp, Shell hits 1
DD Piet Hein, Shell hits 1, on fire
DD Kortenaer, Shell hits 1
DD Witte de With
DD Banckert, Shell hits 4, on fire, heavy damage
DD Van Ghent

Day Time Surface Combat, near Ternate at 77,101, Range 20,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CA Myoko
DD Yamakaze
DD Kawakaze
DD Umikaze
DD Suzukaze

Allied Ships
xAKL Taurus

Both Task Forces evade combat - low on ammo

Night Time Surface Combat, near Ternate at 77,102, Range 9,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CA Myoko
DD Yamakaze
DD Kawakaze
DD Umikaze
DD Suzukaze

Allied Ships
CL De Ruyter

Both Task Forces break off - low on ammo

Nachi SAG:
Day Time Surface Combat, near Manado at 76,99, Range 24,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CA Nachi, Shell hits 3
DD Hatsukaze
DD Natsushio, Shell hits 2, on fire
DD Yukikaze, Shell hits 3, heavy fires

Allied Ships
CL De Ruyter
CL Tromp, Shell hits 4, heavy fires
DD Piet Hein, Shell hits 2, and is sunk
DD Kortenaer, Shell hits 2, on fire
DD Witte de With, Shell hits 3, on fire

Day Time Surface Combat, near Djailolo at 78,100, Range 17,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CA Nachi
DD Hatsukaze

Allied Ships
xAKL Fortuna, Shell hits 1, on fire
xAKL Princess of Negros, Shell hits 5, heavy fires, heavy damage

Haguro SAG:
ASW attack near Basilan at 75,90

Japanese Ships
CA Haguro, Torpedo hits 1
DD Tokitsukaze

Allied Ships
SS KXIV, hits 2

SS KXIV launches 4 torpedoes at CA Haguro
DD Tokitsukaze fails to find sub, continues to search...
DD Tokitsukaze attacking submerged sub ....
Escort abandons search for sub

Day Time Surface Combat, near Basilan at 76,92, Range 24,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CA Haguro
DD Hayashio
DD Tokitsukaze

Allied Ships
xAKL Cetus, Shell hits 5, and is sunk

Day Time Surface Combat, near Manado at 76,101, Range 20,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CA Haguro, Shell hits 2
DD Hayashio, Shell hits 1
DD Tokitsukaze, Shell hits 3, on fire

Allied Ships
DD Van Ghent

Finally, Nagara SAG:
Night Time Surface Combat, near Morotai at 81,102, Range 10,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CL Nagara
DD Oyashio

Allied Ships
AM Finch, Shell hits 6, and is sunk

In the meantime, CVL Ryujo moves into striking range and and all available crusier float planes - including the contingent on CS Chitose and Mizuho with their invasion convoy en route to Manado - have been set to low-level naval attack with 10% search, They have a field day.
Morning Air attack on TF, near Talaud-eilanden at 79,96

Japanese aircraft
F1M2 Pete x 11

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
xAKL Mauban, Bomb hits 13, heavy fires, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:
11 x F1M2 Pete bombing from 1000 feet
Naval Attack: 2 x 30 kg GP Bomb

Morning Air attack on TF, near Morotai at 82,99

Japanese aircraft
E13A1 Jake x 2

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
AM Finch, Bomb hits 1, on fire

Aircraft Attacking:
2 x E13A1 Jake bombing from 1000 feet
Naval Attack: 4 x 60 kg GP Bomb

Morning Air attack on TF, near Morotai at 82,99

Japanese aircraft
E13A1 Jake x 2

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
xAK Si Kiang, Bomb hits 2, on fire

Aircraft Attacking:

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Manado at 76,99

Japanese aircraft
A5M4 Claude x 15

Japanese aircraft losses
A5M4 Claude: 1 damaged
A5M4 Claude: 1 destroyed by flak

Allied Ships
CL Tromp, heavy fires
DD Kortenaer, on fire
DD Witte de With

Aircraft Attacking:
15 x A5M4 Claude bombing from 6000 feet

Heavy smoke from fires obscuring CL Tromp

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Manado at 76,99

Japanese aircraft
F1M2 Pete x 11

Japanese aircraft losses
F1M2 Pete: 3 damaged
F1M2 Pete: 1 destroyed by flak

Allied Ships
DD Kortenaer, Bomb hits 1, on fire
CL Tromp, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Witte de With

Aircraft Attacking:
10 x F1M2 Pete bombing from 1000 feet *

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Morotai at 81,99

Japanese aircraft
F1M2 Pete x 11

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
xAK Ravnaas, Bomb hits 12, heavy fires, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:
11 x F1M2 Pete bombing from 1000 feet

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Gebe at 81,104

Japanese aircraft
E13A1 Jake x 2

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
AO Pecos, Bomb hits 1

Aircraft Attacking:

Morning Air attack on TF, near Ternate at 78,102

Japanese aircraft
E13A1 Jake x 4

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
DD Witte de With, Bomb hits 1, on fire
DD Kortenaer

Aircraft Attacking:

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Ternate at 78,102

Japanese aircraft
E13A1 Jake x 4

Japanese aircraft losses
E13A1 Jake: 1 damaged

Allied Ships
DD Kortenaer, Bomb hits 1, on fire
DD Van Ghent

Aircraft Attacking:

Our SAGs are all ordered to Babeldaop for head-counting, replenishment, repairs and regrouping. Without SAG cover the invasion TF for Manado, Talaud and Mindanao will retreat as well.

CentPac:

Bandasan SNLF CAPTURE Guam !!!

Wake Island is attacked and captured, but cost us an AMC and an xAKL plus damage to other ships. Kido Butai nhovering earby with Vals set to airfield attack and Zeros on LRCAP did nothing to help - lousy weather!
Night Naval bombardment of Wake Island at 136,98 - Coastal Guns Fire Back!

11 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Japanese Ships
CL Tatsuta, Shell hits 1
CL Tenryu
DD Mochizuki
DD Yayoi
DD Kisaragi
DD Mutsuki

Allied ground losses:
27 casualties reported

Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 1
Port hits 2

Pre-Invasion action off Wake Island (136,98) - Coastal Guns Fire Back!
Defensive Guns engage approaching landing force

34 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Japanese Ships
CL Yubari
CL Katori, Shell hits 1
DD Hayate
DD Oite
xAKL Toyotsu Maru, Shell hits 6, on fire
PB Santos Maru
PB Kaiun Maru
PB Kaikei Maru
PB Ikunta Maru
PB Hakkaisan Maru
PB Fukui Maru
AMC Kongo Maru

Japanese ground losses:
31 casualties reported
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled

Allied ground losses:
73 casualties reported
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 7 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled

xAKL Toyotsu Maru sinks at sea

Morning Air attack on TF, near Wake Island at 136,98

Raid spotted at 10 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.

Allied aircraft
F4F-3 Wildcat x 10
SB2U-3 Vindicator x 4

No Allied losses

Japanese Ships
DD Mochizuki, Shell hits 2
CL Tatsuta
DD Mutsuki, Shell hits 3
DD Kisaragi

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x SB2U-3 Vindicator releasing from 4000'
10 x F4F-3 Wildcat bombing from 100 feet
Naval Attack: 2 x 100 lb GP Bomb

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Wake Island at 136,98

Raid spotted at 20 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.

Allied aircraft
SB2U-3 Vindicator x 4

No Allied losses

Japanese Ships
AMC Kinryu Maru, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x SB2U-3 Vindicator releasing from 4000'

Heavy smoke from fires obscuring AMC Kinryu Maru

Pumps fail aboard AMC Kinryu Maru, flooding increases...
AMC Kinryu Maru sinks at sea

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Wake Island at 136,98

Raid spotted at 20 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 6 minutes

Allied aircraft
F4F-3 Wildcat x 12

No Allied losses

Japanese Ships
DD Mutsuki, Shell hits 1
xAKL Tenposan Maru
CL Tenryu

Aircraft Attacking:
12 x F4F-3 Wildcat bombing from 100 feet
Naval Attack: 2 x 100 lb GP Bomb

Ground combat at Wake Island (136,98)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 3625 troops, 31 guns, 2 vehicles, Assault Value = 120

Defending force 1524 troops, 22 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 23

Japanese adjusted assault: 73

Allied adjusted defense: 4

Japanese assault odds: 18 to 1 (fort level 1)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Wake Island !!!

Allied aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft losses
SB2U-3 Vindicator: 3 destroyed
F4F-3 Wildcat: 6 destroyed

Combat modifiers
Defender: disruption(-), preparation(-), experience(-)
Attacker: shock(+), disruption(-)

Japanese ground losses:
123 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 8 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled

Allied ground losses:
2148 casualties reported
Squads: 17 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 106 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 33 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 29 (29 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units destroyed 2

Assaulting units:
Maizuru 2nd SNLF
53rd Naval Guard Unit

Defending units:
141st USN Stn Base Force
Wake (Det.) Defense Battalion

SOPAC:

Amphibious Assault at Hollandia (93,116)
Amphibious Assault at Vanimo (93,117)
LargeSlowTarget

OPERATIONAL REPORT FOR DEC 14&15, 1941

Allied Submarines

SS KXVI is sighted by convoy escorts near Talaud-eilanden and forced to evade. Later the day she misses DD Oyashio near Morotai at 80,100.

SS S-37 misses xAK Koyu Maru near Pescadores.

SS Triton misses AO Kokuyo Maru (of the KB oiler group) near Wake.

SS Swordfish attacks xAKL Shingetsu Maru near Taihoku at 87,61 - the xAKL suffers 7 shell hits, but fights back and Swordfish is hit twice, breaks off surface engagement and submerges.

Later, SS Swordfish launches 2 torpedoes at xAK Eiko Maru #2 but misses.

SS Saury misses xAK Celebes Maru near Olga at 114,50 and xAK Eihuku Maru near Sapporo at 119,50 > US submarines operating in the Sea of Japan - how dare they!

SS S-36 sinks xAP Ussuri Maru near Hengchun, 23 casualties reported.

SS Permit first misses AV Kiyokawa Maru twice near Legaspi and then nails her in the third attempt with one torpedo. The ship disbands in Legaspi harbor and will survive.

Japanese submarines:

DD Thanet continues to lead a charmed life:

Submarine attack near Billiton at 52,92

Japanese Ships
SS I-157

Allied Ships
DD Thanet

SS I-157 launches 4 torpedoes

Submarine attack near Toboali at 51,94

Japanese Ships
SS I-157

Allied Ships
DD Thanet

SS I-157 launches 4 torpedoes

DD Pope as well escapes several submarine attacks in the same waters.

That pesky little DM Thracian is STILL around - she has escaped SAGs and subs how many times now?!?

Submarine attack near Jolo at 73,88

Japanese Ships
SS RO-33

Allied Ships
DM Thracian

DM Thracian is sighted by SS RO-33
SS RO-33 launches 2 torpedoes

Submarine attack near Tawi Tawi at 71,91

Japanese Ships
SS RO-34

Allied Ships
DM Thracian

DM Thracian is sighted by SS RO-34 (twice actually)
SS RO-34 launches 2 torpedoes
SS RO-34 makes an end-around and launches another 2 torpedoes

Finally, some success stories:

S I-156 sinks xAK Woolgar near Billiton.

SS I-166 puts four torpedos into xAK Hai Lee - a slight case of overkill. The ship is reported sunk, no surprise here.

SS RO-63 hits the jackpot near Munda at 110,136: CA Louisville, Torpedo hits 2, heavy damage - sub escapes detection > smells like the Allies prepare an ambush at Rabaul...

SS I-175 escapes several ASW attacks near Pearl Harbor at 177,111 with one hit for 3 sys damage.

Malaya/Burma:

Air attacks from Bangkok hit enemy units retreating from Tavoy. This is target practice while waiting for more AV support to arrive in Malaya from Japan.

Elements of the 5th Division have reached Alor Star and will attack next turn. The base is empty, the 15th Indian Brigade (or so says our air recon) has retreated to the East in direction of Patani. Elements of the 18th Division which have just arrived at Singora are ordered to hunt down the enemy.

China:

We try a sweep with Nates against the lone AVG squadron at Changsha. Guess we won't do it again.

Morning Air attack on Changsha , at 82,52

Japanese aircraft
Ki-27b Nate x 26

Allied aircraft
H81-A3 x 24

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-27b Nate: 7 destroyed

No Allied losses

Japanese aircraft
Ki-27b Nate x 3

Allied aircraft
H81-A3 x 10

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-27b Nate: 1 destroyed

No Allied losses

Weather in hex: Light rain

Raid spotted at 19 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-27b Nate x 5

Allied aircraft
H81-A3 x 7

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-27b Nate: 1 destroyed

No Allied losses

A few Ki-30 and Ki-27b continue to hit a ground unit near Sinyang, causing slight losses. A "recon bombardment" by our pursuing ground forces causes some further losses and identifies the enemy unit as the 30th Chinese Corps

The Chinese themselves dare to fly an offensive mission!

Morning Air attack on TF, near Taihoku at 87,61

Allied aircraft
SB-III x 4

No Allied losses

Japanese Ships
xAKL Junpo Maru

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x SB-III bombing from 6000 feet *
Naval Attack: 3 x 100 kg SAP Bomb

Some air reinforcements and offensive ground actions in China might be required after all...

Hong Kong:

Japanese forces CAPTURE Hong Kong !!!

Bombed from the air, bombarded by two battleships and two deliberate attacks - Hong Kong falls on Dec 15, 1941.

Japanese ground losses:
1089 casualties reported
Squads: 5 destroyed, 61 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 14 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 13 disabled

Allied ground losses:
747 casualties reported
Squads: 9 destroyed, 66 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 9 disabled

Japanese ground losses:
1033 casualties reported
Squads: 4 destroyed, 66 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 11 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 12 disabled

Allied ground losses:
7682 casualties reported
Squads: 280 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 325 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 27 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 175 (175 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Vehicles lost 82 (82 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units destroyed 6

However, the BB bombardment wasn't such a good idea. It was effective thanks to E8N2 Dave acting as spotter, but the base is beaten-up and the fires are damaging the industries. Darn, did not think about that...

Allied Ships
xAKL Chengtu, Shell hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage

Allied ground losses:
247 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 7 disabled
Non Combat: 6 destroyed, 14 disabled
Guns lost 4 (1 destroyed, 3 disabled)
Vehicles lost 4 (1 destroyed, 3 disabled)

Manpower hits 1
Fires 3013
Airbase hits 4
Airbase supply hits 4
Runway hits 9

Borneo:

Japanese forces CAPTURE Miri !!!

Assaulting units:
I/124th Infantry Battalion
8th JAAF AF Coy

Defending units:
100th RN Base Force

Oilfields and refineries at Miri are 50% damaged 149(151).

I/124th Infantry Battalion receives orders to pursue the enemy to Brunei.

8th JAAF AF Coy stays behind to service 84th I.F. squadron (12 Nates) to provide CAP over the oil fields.

2ns Sasebo SNLF Coy is ordered to march from Kudat to Jesselton.

Northern PI:

14th Army advances to undefended Vigan and will attack next turn.

Sasebo 1st SNLF at Apparri receives order to attack enemy forces at Tuguegarao.

We hit Manila AF with unopposed sweeps followed by escorted bombers - taking no chances here against an enemy now recognized to spring nasty surprises:

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 41
G3M2 Nell x 32
G4M1 Betty x 51

Allied aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses

Allied aircraft losses
P-35A: 2 damaged
P-35A: 1 destroyed on ground
PBY-4 Catalina: 3 damaged
P-40E Warhawk: 2 damaged
B-17D Fortress: 2 damaged

Airbase hits 5
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 17

Japanese aircraft
G4M1 Betty x 15

Allied aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M1 Betty: 1 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
P-40E Warhawk: 2 damaged

Airbase hits 1
Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 12

Central PI:

Legaspi is occupied without a fight by the 16th Division. The unit received orders to advance to Naga, where an enemy unit of unknown size and composition is waiting.

Catbalogan is occupied by the Japanese Row Boat Corps.

Amphibious Assault at Taytay (75,82) by 15th Naval Guard Unit

Southern PI:

Ok, confirmed - the Allies REALLY don't like my base at Jolo - they send a reinforced Force Z to flatten the base:

Night Naval bombardment of Jolo at 74,90

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
E13A1 Jake: 3 damaged
E13A1 Jake: 1 destroyed on ground

Allied Ships
BB Prince of Wales
BC Repulse
CL Mauritius
CL Danae
CL Java
DD Jupiter
DD Express
DD Electra
DD Tenedos
DD Van Nes
DD Evertsen
DD Vendetta
DD Vampire

Japanese ground losses:
895 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 4 disabled
Non Combat: 14 destroyed, 34 disabled
Engineers: 2 destroyed, 10 disabled

Airbase hits 22
Airbase supply hits 15
Runway hits 73
Port hits 47
Port fuel hits 1
Port supply hits 10

Walrus II acting as spotter for BB Prince of Wales

Luckily our convoy-escort SAG had been delayed by a fleeing merchantman - otherwise both SAG and convoy loaded with an Air HQ and base forces may have faced Force Z at Jolo - phew...

But what is good for the goose is good for the gander - Cagayan is bombarded by OUR battleships (former Legaspi covering force) in order to supress the B-17s operating there.

The first wave goes straight in:

Night Naval bombardment of Cagayan at 79,89

Allied aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft losses
B-17D Fortress: 6 damaged
B-17D Fortress: 1 destroyed on ground

Japanese Ships
BB Hyuga
BB Ise
DD Wakatake

Allied ground losses:
612 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 17 disabled
Non Combat: 10 destroyed, 26 disabled

Airbase hits 9
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 16

BB Hyuga firing at 3rd PA Constabulary Regiment
BB Ise firing at Cagayan
DD Wakatake firing at 3rd PA Constabulary Regiment

The second wave meets a speed bump in the way in:

Night Time Surface Combat, near Cebu at 80,85, Range 2,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
BB Nagato
BB Fuso
DD Kuretake
DD Sanae

Allied Ships
PT Q-111, Shell hits 1, and is sunk
PT Q-112
PT Q-113, Shell hits 1, and is sunk

Night Naval bombardment of Cagayan at 79,89

Allied aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft losses
B-17D Fortress: 2 damaged

Japanese Ships
BB Fuso
BB Nagato
DD Sanae
DD Kuretake

Allied ground losses:
47 casualties reported

Airbase hits 2
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 7

Arrggh, forgot to switch BB float planes from day ASW to night recon - no spotters this time...

Babeldaop / Moluccas:

II/81st Naval Guard Unit CAPTURE Talaud-eilanden !!! A quick grab of an undefended base as a future naval search base.

The invasion convoys and depleted SAGs return to Babeldaop to replenish from our lone AKE waiting there.

After replenishment and reorganisation, invasion and cover forces will leave Babeldaop for Mindanao.

Hurrying over from the Guam bombardment, Kinugasa has some ammo left and is split into a SAG to sweep the eastern side of the Moluccas.

Day Time Surface Combat, near Sorong at 82,107, Range 4,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CA Kinugasa
DD Oboro
DD Kikuzuki
DD Yuzuki

Allied Ships
PC Zeeman, Shell hits 17, and is sunk

Counting heads after the confused battles last turn, I am relieved to find that no ship has been sunk by the Flying Dutchmen. But three DDs will require some yard time:

Yukikaze 54/33/24
Tokitsukaze 30/8/12
Suzukaze 22/0/1

I should have kept ARD Meyungs at Babeldaop - the ARD is under tow for Truk and sustains damage three hexes out. She has ample fuel and is escorted - must have hit a whale or what? Some sys and float damage, she will turn around and head back to Babeldaop.

On the enemy side, DD Piet Hein has been reported sunk, and judging from the battle reports DD Banckert and CL Tromp may have sunk as well.

The "ships sunk list" however shows CL De Ruyter and DDs Witte de With and Piet Hein as sunk, as well as AM Finch and some merchantships.

PNG:

I/66th Naval Guard Unit CAPTURE Hollandia !!!

II/66th Naval Guard Unit CAPTURE Vanimo !!!

Some quick grabs by light forces for the sake of some action down there.

CentPac:

A chance encounter near Marcus Island at 123,91:

Japanese Ships
CV Kaga
DD Amagiri
DD Akebono

Allied Ships
xAK Governor Wright

Another ship fleeing the PI by going straight east... Both Task Forces evade combat and Kaga continues on to the Home Islands for LBA-resize duties. Her air group has been left in the Marianas, awaiting temporary land-based duty as soon as Jolo can be repaired.

A SOC-1 Seagull is sighted over Nauru Island - by whom I wonder since I have evacuated the invasion force after the capture of the base. There seems to be another enemy cruiser looking for easy victims i.e. lightly escorted invasion forces in the Nauru / Ocean Island / Tarawa region! However, we have put activities down there on hold until carrier support is available. Aggressive as my opponent has turned out to be, there might be enemy carriers lurking as well.

KB is near Truk and will replenish before moving to cover invasions in the Gilberts and Rabaul.

Other:

AV Langley is reported to have been sunk near Siquijor on Dec 10, 1941
LargeSlowTarget

OPERATIONAL REPORT FOR DEC 16 - 17, 1941

Allied submarines:

Sailfish duds AK Sakito Maru near Nagoya.

SS S-37 misses AMc Fumi Maru #5 near Pescadores.

SS Seadragon fires four torps for one hit at AO Shiriya near Babeldaob - fuel cargo burns, AO Shiriya sinks at sea one hex short of Babeldaob.

SS O20 sinks CM Kamome near Kompong Trach.

A few more attacks near Cam Ranh Bay, near Hengchun, near Kompong Tracha have been repelled by ASW.

Our submarines:

SS I-155 has a success near Singkawang: xAK Hanyang, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage.

SS RO-60 intercepts xAK Governor Wright after her chance encountrer with Kaga near Wake Island at 135,91: , Torpedo hits 1, heavy damage.

SS I-6 is worked over by PC Haida and slightly damaged near San Francisco.

China:

Troop movements and some recon bombardements - we try to encircle a few Chinese units not fleeing for the woods.

Ground combat at 85,48 (near Sinyang)
Assaulting units:
20th Ind.Mixed Brigade
9th Armored Car Co
14th RGC Temp. Division
15th Ind.Medium Field Artillery Regiment
14th Medium Field Artillery Regiment
1st Mortar Battalion
Defending units:
30th Chinese Corps

Ground combat at 88,43 (near Kaifeng)
Assaulting units:
12th Tank Regiment
15th Tank Regiment
3rd Ind.Mixed Brigade
12th Army
6th Medium Field Artillery Regiment
Defending units:
98th Chinese Corps

Ground combat at 85,56 (near Nanchang)
Assaulting units:
11th Ind.Mixed Brigade
Defending units:
21st Chinese Corps

At Hong Kong, hundreds of mines are being swept. Fires are down to 51 and luckily only a few points of industries / shipyards have been destroyed.

Malaya/Burma:

Japanese forces CAPTURE Alor Star !!! Our troops advance in direction of Georgetown.

AVG ambush our "training missions" near Moulmein, we lose 2 Nates.

PI:

Undefended Vigan is occupied by the Japanese.
Sasebo 1st SNLF CAPTURES Tuguegarao !!! 3rd/12th PA Inf Battalion surrenders.
15th Naval Guard Unit CAPTURES Taytay !!!

Night Time Surface Combat, near Balabac at 71,84 - PT-41 sunk by DD Sagiri escorting a convoy to Jolo.

Two Jakes operating from newly-won Balabac attack xAKL Dona Nati near Tawi Tawi - Bomb hits 1, heavy fires.

Manila port bombed by Netties:
YO-41, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk
AM Bittern, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAKL Bisayas, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk
ARD YFD-1 Dewey, Bomb hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
xAKL Corregidor, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
Repair Shipyard hits 1

Cagayan is struck again by mini-KB - now containing Ryujo and Zuiho:
Airbase hits 1
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 10

The invasion of Mindanao will start soon.

Pacific

A SAG of old CLs was ordered to check-out the sighting of enemy float planes over Nauru. The SAG conducts a sweep between Nauru and Tarawa, finds nothing and is on its way back to Kwajalein.

Kido Butai has replenished at Truk and has been ordered south to investigate Rabaul and the Solomons to see if CA Louisville reported sunk near Munda has company in the area. Invasion forces are being readied at Truk for Rabaul and 4th Division will arrive soon from Japan for the invasion of Port Moresby.

Submarines are being repositioned between Pearl Harbor, Midway, Johnston, Palmyra and other island bases in the SoPac, anticipating reinforcement efforts.

The five midget-sub-carrying I-boats and their backpacks have been ordered to wait off Sydney, a Glen-equipped I-boat will recon the harbor.
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

At Hong Kong, hundreds of mines are being swept. Fires are down to 51 and luckily only a few points of industries / shipyards have been destroyed.
That's always a nice result ....
Pax
LargeSlowTarget

OPERATIONAL REPORT FOR Dec 18 - 19, 1941

Allied submarines:

Last turn the weather was bad and offensive air missions got cancelled for the most part. The forecast for this turn was not any better, so I have switched most of the twin-engine bombers to ASW duty to see what is out there. Enemy subs are operating around Formosa, around Cam Ranh Bay and in the Gulf of Siam. Some are reported hit but with crews largely untrained for ASW I doubt this.

SS Seadragon launches 2 torpedoes at xAKL Nichiryo Maru near Babeldaob at 90,95 - Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

SS S-37 launches 4 torpedoes at xAP Suwa Maru near Pescadores at 83,63 - Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage, 87 casualties reported

ASW attack near Jolo at 74,90 - PB Fuji Maru #4 vs SS KXIV: hits 0:4

Our submarines:

Sub vs Sub: SS I-164 attacking SS KVIII at 56,86 - near Serasan: SS KVIII, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage - SS KVIII is reported to have been sunk near Serasan on Dec 18, 1941

SS I-5 launches 2 torpedoes at AK Arcturus near Fort Ord at 219,74 - and misses this juicy target...

SS I-160 misses damaged DD Witte de With near Sepandjang - so either target identification or the "Ships sunk" list seem to be wrong... Later she misses DD Kortenaer as well.

SS I-153 launches 2 torpedoes near Pamekasan at - DM Thracian again! Not hits...

China:

All minefields have been cleared from Hong Kong, a convoy waiting a hex away is ordered to dock and load the 38th Division.

Hwaiyin is abandoned by the enemy and occupied by the Japanese.

Japanese forces CAPTURE undefended Kweiteh on the rail line from Suchow to Keifeng - now reinforcements and supplies can flow to Keifeng for operations in the Tsiaotso region.

More troops movements and recon bombardements, enemy troops in the open plains try to flee our troops advancing in the direction of Nanyang.

Ground combat at 85,48 (near Sinyang)

Attacking force 8764 troops, 136 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 487

Defending force 11259 troops, 74 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 190

Japanese adjusted assault: 92

Allied adjusted defense: 19

Japanese assault odds: 4 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: leaders(+), disruption(-), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
101 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 11 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled

Allied ground losses:
4272 casualties reported
Squads: 191 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 96 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 6 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 11 (11 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units retreated 1

Assaulting units:
13th Tank Regiment
1st Ind.Mixed Brigade
9th Armored Car Co
20th Ind.Mixed Brigade
14th RGC Temp. Division
14th Medium Field Artillery Regiment
15th Ind.Medium Field Artillery Regiment
1st Mortar Battalion

Defending units:
30th Chinese Corps

Here is a look at North China - no big operations yet, just trying to catch some fleeing units.

Malaya:

The 42nd Infantry Regiment which has cut across the peninsular from Patani captured lightly-defended Georgetown and destroyes the 3rd SSVF Battalion and the Penang Fortress garrison. The balance of the 5th Division plus 25th Army HQ and assorted support troops are marching from Alor Star to Georgetown. The enemy seems to have left behind only some speedbumps in Northern Malaya.

The balance of our air force and support organization is still relocating from Indochina to airfields on the Malay peninsular. However, some fighter units are already in place and have been ordered to sweep Singapore - but bad weather has cancelled air missions for four days in a row now... The forecast looks better for the coming days - let's see. We must start bombing Singapore ASAP to prevent fort-building!

Borneo:

2nd Sasebo SNLF Coy CAPTURES Jesselton !!! Defeated 108th RN Base Force is retreating.

Banggi is occupied by the Japanese Rowboat Corps.

Invasion forces have reached Kuching and will start unloading. Enemy air attacks by a handful of Wirraways and Dutch bombers are ineffective.

PI:

Allied fighters ambush Nates and Sonias on bombing mission against enemy troops at San Fernando. We lose 1 Nate and 1 Sonia for one P-35A.

We launch our amphibious assault of Mindanao at Surigao (81,88) - but we botch it. We have one Amphibious TF with advance elements of the 2nd Division, followed by a Transport TF with the ballance of this unit. Unfortunately I forgot to set the Transport TF to "do not unload" until the Amphib TF has captured the base - and the "amphib assault" from a Transport TF results in troops and equipment from 32nd Special Base Force , III./4th Infantry Bn , 16th JNAF AF Unit , 16th Infantry Rgt , 24th Infantry Rgt , 2nd FA Rgt , 3rd Ship Engr Rgt being lost to accident during amphibious unloading from TF 100...

182 casualties reported
Squads: 7 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 9 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 4 (4 destroyed, 0 disabled)

Supporting Mini-KB and surface forces find some more small fry hiding between the Visayas islands:

Morning Air attack on TF, near Cebu at 80,86 - xAKL Surigao, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk

Morning Air attack on TF, near Iloilo at 79,84 - xAKL Kanlaon II, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk

Night Time Surface Combat, near Guiuan at 88,86 - xAKL Palawan, Shell hits 13, and is sunk

Celebes:

The invasion of Manado has started with heavy SAG cover. A few Hudsons atatck but miss BB Haruna.

South Pacific:

Kido Butai is taking a look at Rabaul and then Port Moresby - currently located off Bougainville, there is nothing to report. Nettie searches and recon from Truk see nothing at Rabaul as well - did they actually fly or is Rabaul evacuated?

SIGINT:

Heavy Volume of Radio transmissions detected at Pearl Harbor (180,107). Seems they have figured out Kido Butai is not coming back for another strike and that Pearl is safe now.

Radio transmissions detected at Ulan Bator (96,23). Seems the comrades have run out of vodka and are ordering resupply...

Attachments
NorthChina411220.jpg
NorthChina411220.jpg (644.61 KiB) Viewed 971 times
LargeSlowTarget

And here is the South China Sea - reduced the size to fit the forum:

Attachments
SouthChinaSea411220.jpg
SouthChinaSea411220.jpg (303.14 KiB) Viewed 971 times
LargeSlowTarget

REPORT FOR Dec 20-21, 1941

Allied submarines:

Our aerial ASW efforts seem to scare Allied subs - many are spotted but only one Dutch sub manages an attack:

Sub attack near Kuching at 58,88

Japanese Ships
CL Kashii, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
xAK Ayatosan Maru
DMS W-4

Allied Ships
SS KXIII, hits 3

Our submarines:

ASW attack near Billiton at 52,92

Japanese Ships
SS I-154, hits 1 (slight sys dmg - she will stay in the area)

Allied Ships
CL Enterprise
DD Peary
DD John D. Ford
DD Isis
DD Encounter

We will hear of that SAG again later...

Looks like reinforcements have left CONUS for the Pacific:

ASW attack near Channel Islands at 223,78

Japanese Ships
SS I-2, hits 1 (slight sys dmg - she will stay in the area)

Allied Ships
DD Hatfield
PG Charleston
AP President Polk
AP Tasker H Bliss
xAP Etolin
DD Humphreys

And it looks some reinforcements have already arrived at the strategic base of Canton Island:

ASW attack near Canton Island at 153,143

Japanese Ships
SS RO-66

Allied Ships
DMS Boggs
xAP St. Mihel
PC Taney
DM Tracy

Canton Is. is an important base for the transfer of 4e bombers to Australia. I was toying with the idea to capture it, but since I am unwilling to risk "quick grab" invasion TFs without heavy cover (given the fact that even with cover my invasion forces are being sunk...), the Canton Is. operation is delayed - and this base will now be a tougher nut to crack...

China

Lots of units marching and some ground actions near Kaifeng to clear the railroad to Tsiaotso and to capture Tsiaotso itself. We get the railway but not the city.

Ground combat at 88,43 (near Kaifeng)

Attacking force 19475 troops, 169 guns, 129 vehicles, Assault Value = 621

Defending force 5474 troops, 42 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 169

Japanese adjusted assault: 586

Allied adjusted defense: 29

Japanese assault odds: 20 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), leaders(-), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
137 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 12 disabled

Allied ground losses:
1294 casualties reported
Squads: 57 destroyed, 16 disabled
Non Combat: 41 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 2 destroyed, 8 disabled
Guns lost 14 (9 destroyed, 5 disabled)
Units retreated 1

Assaulting units:
110th Division
15th Tank Regiment
12th Tank Regiment
3rd Ind.Mixed Brigade
12th Army
6th Medium Field Artillery Regiment

Defending units:
98th Chinese Corps

Ground combat at Tsiaotso (88,42)

Attacking force 6702 troops, 38 guns, 32 vehicles, Assault Value = 218

Defending force 11063 troops, 38 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 270

Japanese adjusted assault: 164

Allied adjusted defense: 190

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 2 (fort level 1)

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), leaders(+), morale(-), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
366 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 38 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled

Allied ground losses:
84 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 5 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 1 disabled

Assaulting units:
16th Ind.Mixed Brigade
5th Armored Car Co
1st Army

Defending units:
27th Chinese Corps
5th New Chinese Corps

Malaya

Still lousy weather but our first Singapore sweeps finally take off.

Morning Air attack on Singapore , at 50,84

Raid detected at 10 NM, estimated altitude 24,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 45

Allied aircraft
Buffalo I x 45

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
Buffalo I: 6 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
37 x A6M2 Zero sweeping at 20000 feet

Raid detected at 39 NM, estimated altitude 22,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 18

Allied aircraft
Buffalo I x 15

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Buffalo I: 5 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
12 x A6M2 Zero sweeping at 20000 feet

Raid spotted at 44 NM, estimated altitude 24,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 14 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 18

Allied aircraft
Buffalo I x 8

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
Buffalo I: 1 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
17 x A6M2 Zero sweeping at 20000 feet

In the face of Zero sweeps (and follow-up Oscars which found nothing), the Allies may withdraw their remaining planes from Singers - or reinforce with the Dutch, AVG and/OR PI remnants. I take the risk and will send bombers next turn - need to interrupt the building of forts asap!

Lots of marching troops as well but only one ground action - the 6th RTA Division captures Victoria Point.

Elements of the 18th Division are closing on the 15th Indian Bde trapped between Singora and Patani, other elements of the same unit are near Kuantan. The mass of the 25th Army is near or at Georgetown.

My progress is slow, other games have captured Palembang and invested Singapore at this stage of the game. Well, it is my first AE PBEM and I prefer to play it safe. And since it is a historic Dec 8th start I do not have Kido Butai available to cover a "Mersing gambit" and similar ventures anyway.

Borneo

I'm not only slow-moving everywhere, I also botched the invasion of Kuching. Pre-loading the invasion forces at Cam Ranh Bay two turns ago I did set orders to "do not unload" because the invasion TF was supposed to wait in port but ready to sail on short notice. Of course I forgot to change orders to "unload" when sending the TF to Kuching. So it arrived last turn and spent a day sitting off Kuching marking time. Doing this turn, I was torn between leaving the place without unloading in order to escape a possible counter-thrust or to toughen it out and land anyway. With a strong SAG as cover I decided to risk it and stayed to unload. It almost worked. Our forces encounter some PTs - annoying but no real threat and two are sunk. Then some feeble air attacks - just a nuisance. But then on the second day BC Repulse and consorts show up and maul the invasion force:

Night Time Surface Combat, near Kuching at 58,88, Range 4,000 Yards

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
E7K2 Alf: 1 destroyed

Japanese Ships
CL Kashii, Shell hits 8, and is sunk
DD Ayanami, Shell hits 1
DMS W-2, Shell hits 1, on fire
DMS W-3, Shell hits 13, and is sunk
DMS W-4, Shell hits 2, and is sunk
AK Sasako Maru, Shell hits 6, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
xAK Ayatosan Maru, Shell hits 4, heavy fires, heavy damage (sinks later)
xAK Asakasan Maru, Shell hits 3, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk

Allied Ships
BC Repulse
CA Exeter, Shell hits 1
CL Enterprise
CL Dragon
CL Durban, Shell hits 2, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
DD John D. Ford
DD Peary
DD Van Nes
DD Encounter
DD Isis

Reduced sighting due to 7% moonlight
Maximum visibility in Clear Conditions and 7% moonlight: 6,000 yards
Range closes to 16,000 yards...
Range closes to 11,000 yards...
Range closes to 8,000 yards...
Range closes to 6,000 yards...
CONTACT: Japanese lookouts spot Allied task force at 6,000 yards
Japanese ships attempt to get underway
Range closes to 4,000 yards...
CONTACT: Allied lookouts spot Japanese task force at 4,000 yards
[clutter deleted]
DMS W-4 sunk by CL Durban at 4,000 yards
CL Kashii sunk by CL Enterprise at 4,000 yards
AK Sasako Maru sunk by CA Exeter at 4,000 yards
DD Ayanami engages DD Van Nes at 3,000 yards
DD Ayanami engages DD Peary at 3,000 yards
DD Van Nes engages DD Ayanami at 5,000 yards
CL Dragon engages DD Ayanami at 5,000 yards
DD Encounter engages DD Ayanami at 5,000 yards
DD Ayanami engages DD Peary at 5,000 yards
DD Encounter engages DD Ayanami at 5,000 yards
CL Dragon engages DD Ayanami at 5,000 yards
DD Ayanami engages DD Peary at 7,000 yards
DMS W-3 sunk by BC Repulse at 7,000 yards
CL Durban engages DD Ayanami at 7,000 yards
CL Enterprise engages DD Ayanami at 7,000 yards
DD Peary engages DD Ayanami at 7,000 yards
BC Repulse engages DD Ayanami at 9,000 yards
CL Dragon engages DD Ayanami at 9,000 yards
DD Encounter engages DD Ayanami at 9,000 yards
DD Isis engages DD Ayanami at 10,000 yards
CL Durban engages DD Ayanami at 10,000 yards
DD Ayanami engages DD Van Nes at 10,000 yards
DD Ayanami engages DD Peary at 10,000 yards
CA Exeter engages DD Ayanami at 12,000 yards
CL Durban engages DD Ayanami at 12,000 yards
DD Peary engages DD Ayanami at 12,000 yards
Japanese Task Force Manages to Escape
Task forces break off...

Lone DD Ayanami fights well - the CO will receive a medal!

However, the cavalry in form of my covering SAG arrived much too late! Where have they been - sightseeing? Our cruisers dish out some damage, but we lose our first large combatant:

Night Time Surface Combat, near Kuching at 58,88, Range 7,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CA Maya
CA Chokai
CA Ashigara, Shell hits 20, heavy fires, heavy damage
CL Sendai, Shell hits 1
CL Isuzu
CL Natori
DD Yamagumo, Shell hits 1
DD Fubuki
DD Usugumo
DD Isonami
DD Shirayuki
DD Hatsuyuki, Shell hits 1, on fire
DD Shikinami

Allied Ships
BC Repulse, Shell hits 10
CA Exeter, Shell hits 2, on fire
CL Enterprise, Shell hits 6, heavy fires
CL Dragon
DD John D. Ford
DD Peary
DD Van Nes
DD Encounter

Reduced sighting due to 7% moonlight
Maximum visibility in Clear Conditions and 7% moonlight: 8,000 yards
Range closes to 9,000 yards...
Range closes to 7,000 yards...
CONTACT: Japanese lookouts spot Allied task force at 7,000 yards
BC Repulse engages CA Ashigara at 7,000 yards
CA Exeter engages CA Ashigara at 7,000 yards
CL Dragon engages CA Ashigara at 7,000 yards
CL Enterprise engages CA Ashigara at 7,000 yards
CA Ashigara engages DD Van Nes at 7,000 yards
DD Shikinami engages DD Van Nes at 7,000 yards
DD Van Nes engages DD Hatsuyuki at 7,000 yards
DD Fubuki engages DD Van Nes at 7,000 yards
Range closes to 5,000 yards
CA Ashigara engages BC Repulse at 5,000 yards
CA Exeter engages CA Ashigara at 5,000 yards
CA Maya engages BC Repulse at 5,000 yards
BC Repulse engages CL Natori at 5,000 yards
CL Isuzu engages BC Repulse at 5,000 yards
CL Sendai engages BC Repulse at 5,000 yards
DD Shikinami engages DD Van Nes at 5,000 yards
DD Yamagumo engages DD John D. Ford at 5,000 yards
DD Van Nes engages DD Fubuki at 5,000 yards
DD Yamagumo engages DD John D. Ford at 5,000 yards
BC Repulse engages CA Ashigara at 5,000 yards
CA Ashigara engages CA Exeter at 5,000 yards
CL Dragon engages CA Ashigara at 5,000 yards
CL Enterprise engages CA Ashigara at 5,000 yards
CL Isuzu engages BC Repulse at 5,000 yards
CL Sendai engages BC Repulse at 5,000 yards
DD Van Nes engages DD Shikinami at 5,000 yards
DD Hatsuyuki engages DD John D. Ford at 5,000 yards
DD Van Nes engages DD Shirayuki at 5,000 yards
DD Yamagumo engages DD Van Nes at 5,000 yards
Range increases to 6,000 yards
CA Ashigara engages BC Repulse at 6,000 yards
CA Exeter engages CA Ashigara at 6,000 yards
CA Ashigara engages CL Dragon at 6,000 yards
CL Natori engages BC Repulse at 6,000 yards
CL Isuzu engages BC Repulse at 6,000 yards
CL Sendai engages BC Repulse at 6,000 yards
DD Van Nes engages DD Shikinami at 6,000 yards
DD Hatsuyuki engages DD Van Nes at 6,000 yards
DD Fubuki engages DD John D. Ford at 6,000 yards
CA Ashigara engages CL Enterprise at 11,000 yards
CA Chokai engages CL Enterprise at 11,000 yards
CA Ashigara engages CL Dragon at 11,000 yards
CL Natori engages BC Repulse at 11,000 yards
CL Isuzu engages BC Repulse at 11,000 yards
DD Van Nes engages DD Shirayuki at 11,000 yards
DD Van Nes engages DD Shikinami at 11,000 yards
DD Hatsuyuki engages DD John D. Ford at 11,000 yards
DD Isonami engages DD Van Nes at 11,000 yards
DD Van Nes engages DD Usugumo at 11,000 yards
DD Fubuki engages DD John D. Ford at 11,000 yards
DD Yamagumo engages DD John D. Ford at 11,000 yards
Range closes to 9,000 yards
CL Sendai collides with DD Shikinami at 58 , 88
CA Ashigara engages BC Repulse at 9,000 yards
CA Ashigara engages CA Exeter at 9,000 yards
CA Ashigara engages CL Dragon at 9,000 yards
CA Ashigara engages CL Enterprise at 9,000 yards
CL Dragon engages CL Sendai at 9,000 yards
DD Peary engages DD Fubuki at 9,000 yards
DD Hatsuyuki engages DD John D. Ford at 9,000 yards
DD Isonami engages DD John D. Ford at 9,000 yards
DD Van Nes engages DD Fubuki at 9,000 yards
DD Yamagumo engages DD Peary at 9,000 yards
BC Repulse engages CA Ashigara at 11,000 yards
CA Chokai engages BC Repulse at 11,000 yards
CL Dragon engages CA Maya at 11,000 yards
CL Enterprise engages CA Ashigara at 11,000 yards
DD Yamagumo engages DD Encounter at 11,000 yards
DD Yamagumo engages DD Van Nes at 11,000 yards
DD Yamagumo engages DD Peary at 11,000 yards
DD Hatsuyuki engages DD John D. Ford at 11,000 yards
DD Yamagumo engages DD Peary at 11,000 yards
Range closes to 10,000 yards
BC Repulse engages CA Chokai at 10,000 yards
CA Maya engages BC Repulse at 10,000 yards
CA Ashigara engages CL Enterprise at 10,000 yards
DD Hatsuyuki engages DD Encounter at 10,000 yards
DD Van Nes engages DD Yamagumo at 10,000 yards
DD Usugumo engages DD Peary at 10,000 yards
DD Hatsuyuki engages DD John D. Ford at 10,000 yards
DD Shirayuki engages DD Van Nes at 10,000 yards
DD Isonami engages DD John D. Ford at 10,000 yards
Range closes to 6,000 yards
BC Repulse engages CA Ashigara at 6,000 yards
BC Repulse engages CA Chokai at 6,000 yards
CA Ashigara engages CL Dragon at 6,000 yards
BC Repulse engages CL Isuzu at 6,000 yards
DD Hatsuyuki engages DD Van Nes at 6,000 yards
DD Yamagumo engages DD Peary at 6,000 yards
DD Van Nes engages DD Hatsuyuki at 6,000 yards
DD Van Nes engages DD Shirayuki at 6,000 yards
DD Encounter engages DD Usugumo at 6,000 yards
DD Fubuki engages DD Van Nes at 6,000 yards
Range increases to 7,000 yards
BC Repulse engages CA Chokai at 7,000 yards
CA Maya engages BC Repulse at 7,000 yards
BC Repulse engages CL Natori at 7,000 yards
DD Encounter engages DD Shikinami at 7,000 yards
CL Sendai engages BC Repulse at 7,000 yards
DD Peary engages DD Shirayuki at 7,000 yards
DD John D. Ford engages DD Hatsuyuki at 7,000 yards
DD Shirayuki engages DD Van Nes at 7,000 yards
DD Peary engages DD Isonami at 7,000 yards
Range increases to 9,000 yards
BC Repulse engages CA Ashigara at 9,000 yards
CA Ashigara engages CA Exeter at 9,000 yards
CA Ashigara engages CL Dragon at 9,000 yards
CL Enterprise engages CA Ashigara at 9,000 yards
DD Shikinami engages DD Encounter at 9,000 yards
BC Repulse engages CL Sendai at 9,000 yards
DD Shirayuki engages DD Peary at 9,000 yards
DD Yamagumo engages DD John D. Ford at 9,000 yards
DD Shirayuki engages DD Encounter at 9,000 yards
DD Isonami engages DD John D. Ford at 9,000 yards
DD Fubuki engages DD John D. Ford at 9,000 yards
CA Ashigara engages BC Repulse at 11,000 yards
BC Repulse engages CA Chokai at 11,000 yards
BC Repulse engages CA Maya at 11,000 yards
CA Ashigara engages CL Enterprise at 11,000 yards
DD Yamagumo engages DD Encounter at 11,000 yards
DD Van Nes engages DD Usugumo at 11,000 yards
DD Shikinami engages DD Encounter at 11,000 yards
DD Hatsuyuki engages DD Peary at 11,000 yards
DD Shirayuki engages DD Peary at 11,000 yards
DD Isonami engages DD John D. Ford at 11,000 yards
Range closes to 9,000 yards
CA Chokai engages BC Repulse at 9,000 yards
CL Dragon engages CA Ashigara at 9,000 yards
CA Ashigara engages CL Enterprise at 9,000 yards
CL Enterprise engages CL Isuzu at 9,000 yards
DD Peary engages DD Fubuki at 9,000 yards
DD John D. Ford engages DD Hatsuyuki at 9,000 yards
DD Shirayuki engages DD Peary at 9,000 yards
DD Van Nes engages DD Isonami at 9,000 yards
Younger, L.E. orders Allied TF to disengage
Range increases to 10,000 yards
CA Chokai engages CA Exeter at 10,000 yards
CL Enterprise engages CA Maya at 10,000 yards
BC Repulse engages CL Natori at 10,000 yards
CL Isuzu engages BC Repulse at 10,000 yards
BC Repulse engages CL Sendai at 10,000 yards
DD Shikinami engages DD Van Nes at 10,000 yards
DD Shirayuki engages DD John D. Ford at 10,000 yards
Task forces break off...

The battle was unusally long, probably due to aggressive leaders (checked the editor - L.E. Younger has agg 70 - not bad for a Brit at that this stage of the war). Too bad none of our numerous torpedoes connected - and luckily the Allied torps weren't any better!

Alas, CA Ashigara succumbs to fires and damage...

But her comrades extract some revenge by sinking a cripple - but the identification must be wrong (probably Enterprise):

Night Time Surface Combat, near Kuching at 58,88, Range 11,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CA Maya
CA Chokai
CL Sendai
CL Isuzu
CL Natori
DD Yamagumo
DD Fubuki
DD Usugumo
DD Isonami
DD Shirayuki
DD Hatsuyuki
DD Shikinami

Allied Ships
CL Durban, Shell hits 8, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
DD Isis

The survivors of our SAG and invasion TF retire to Indochina. And we have been lucky nonetheless - the sunk transports were empty, the ground forces have landed without losses at Kuching and will attack next turn.

PI:

The recently-revived Allied fighter operations from Manila ask for a counter-strike:

Raid spotted at 14 NM, estimated altitude 25,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 40

Allied aircraft
P-40E Warhawk x 6

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
P-40E Warhawk: 3 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
40 x A6M2 Zero sweeping at 20000 feet *

Afternoon Air attack on Manila , at 79,77

Raid spotted at 32 NM, estimated altitude 26,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 10 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 40

Allied aircraft
P-40E Warhawk x 1

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses

Aircraft Attacking:
40 x A6M2 Zero sweeping at 20000 feet *

Jakes operating from Jolo catch small fry near Tawi-Tawi - xAKL Kanchow, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires. Apparently the Allies try to slip some supplies to Luzon - we will increase the number of floatplanes on anti-blockade runner duty.

14th Army assembles at San Fernando and will attack next turn.

16th Division attacks at Naga and forces the 51st PA Infantry Division to retreat - 41 casualties (4 squads disabled) against 1101 100+ squads destroyed).

2nd Division captures undefended Surigao.

Undefnded Bayombong is occupied by a patrol.

Moluccas:

Some Dutch bombers, Hudsons and a pair of B-17s attack our shiping at Manado, but F1M2 floatplanes on CAP disrupt their aim.

Our invasion forces shock attack and easily capture Manado - 41 casualties against 375. The enemy forces retreat to Sidate. Our TFs will reorganize and reload while Netties get established at Manado (since Jolo has been thrashed and the few ENG coy are struggling). I suspect that PoW is heading another SAG wit a similar task for Kendar/Ambon as had Repulse at Kuching, so this time I will move with air support.

Rabaul:

Speaking of air support - Kido Butai has circled Rabaul and prepares the invasion by hitting the airfield and port installations. Apparently the Allies intend to fight for Rabaul because our pilots report dive bombers and B-17s as well as a cruiser present.

Afternoon Air attack on Rabaul , at 106,125

Raid spotted at 19 NM, estimated altitude 18,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 55
B5N2 Kate x 27
D3A1 Val x 36

Allied aircraft
no flights

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
Catalina I: 1 damaged
B-17E Fortress: 3 damaged

Airbase hits 10
Airbase supply hits 3
Runway hits 19

Raid spotted at 19 NM, estimated altitude 20,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 55
B5N2 Kate x 99
D3A1 Val x 107

Allied aircraft
no flights

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
B-17E Fortress: 1 damaged
A-24 Banshee: 1 damaged

Allied Ships
CL Adelaide, Bomb hits 16, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk

Allied ground losses:
6 casualties reported

Airbase hits 2
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 10
Port hits 1
Port supply hits 1

The invasion of Rabaul will start next turn. 4th Division is reloading from transport to amphib assault configuration at Ponape (due to stacking limits, Truk is already full with support units...) for the follow-on attack on PM as soon as Rabaul has been captured and air search operational. Can't be too prudent with Allied cruisers around and and no fix on Allied CVs! SIGINT is useless as usual.
LargeSlowTarget

REPORT FOR Dec 22-23, 1941

Allied submarines:

SS Porpoise launches 4 torpedoes at DD Amagiri near Fukue-jima at 100,58 but misses.

SS Seadragon launches 2 torpedoes at xAP Kitano Maru near Babeldaob at 87,94 - duds.

SS S-41 launches 2 torpedoes at PB Fuji Maru #3 near Soc Trang at 60,74 and misses.

Our submarines:

We pick up BOISE again! She is near Kendari. We have sent Nellies to Manado to take a closer look.

ASW attack near Boeton at 68,107

Japanese Ships
SS I-159

Allied Ships
CL Boise
CL De Ruyter
DD Barker
DD Van Ghent
DD Parrott
DD Paul Jones

SS I-21 launches 6 torpedoes at xAP St. Mihel at Canton Island - torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage - and evades ASW attacks by PC Taney and another by DD Phelps. We order more submarines into the area - there might be carriers lurking to cover the reinforcement effort.

SS I-171 launches 4 torpedoes at DD Ward near Hilo at 184,111 - not hits.

ASW attack by DD Pillsbury near Toboali at 51,93, SS I-154, hits 2 - with 29 float damage the submarine is ordered back to Saigon.

Malaya:

Still sub-optimal weather in Malaya, but our bombers from Kota Bharu attack Singers for the first time.

Raid detected at 39 NM, estimated altitude 23,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 15 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 45
G3M2 Nell x 28

Allied aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses

Allied aircraft losses
Blenheim I: 3 damaged
Blenheim IV: 2 damaged
Blenheim IV: 1 destroyed on ground
Swordfish I: 1 damaged
Hudson I: 2 damaged

Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 9

Raid detected at 39 NM, estimated altitude 26,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 15 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 12
G3M2 Nell x 28

Allied aircraft
no flights

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
Hudson I: 7 damaged
Hudson I: 1 destroyed on ground
Blenheim I: 2 damaged
Blenheim I: 1 destroyed on ground

Airbase hits 4
Runway hits 7

Afternoon Air attack on Singapore , at 50,84

Raid detected at 24 NM, estimated altitude 28,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 13
G3M2 Nell x 20

Allied aircraft
no flights

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
Hudson I: 2 damaged

Runway hits 3

Elements of the 18th Division are now in contact with the 15th Indian Bde and will attack next turn.

Recon elements of the 5th Division have reached Taiping and find a weak unit. The Recondos will try to dislodge it on their own.

China:

Northwest of Sinyang, the 13th Division plus arty attacks the 30th Chinese Corps - 39 vs 3403 casualties and the Chinese are RETREATING towards Nanyang.

Near Hwainan at at 89,4, the 13th Ind.Mixed Brigade attacks the 7th Chinese Corps - 123 vs 1523 casualties reported, the Chinese unit is RETREATING towards Chengchow.

With reinforcements, Japanese forces finally CAPTURE Tsiaotso !!!
Assaulting units:
41st Division
37th Division
16th Ind.Mixed Brigade
5th Armored Car Co
1st Army
321 vs 4393 casualties reported.
27th Chinese Corps RETREATING towards Loyang
5th New Chinese Corps RETREATING towards Loyang

Wenchow is bombarded in preparation of a ground campaign against this last unoccupied seaport of China.

Night Naval bombardment of Wenchow at 89,58

Allied aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft losses
SB-III: 1 damaged

Japanese Ships
BB Yamashiro
BB Mutsu
DD Yukaze
DD Sawakaze
DD Yugumo

Allied ground losses:
56 casualties reported
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 7 disabled

Resources hits 1
Manpower hits 1
Fires 57
Airbase hits 5
Runway hits 22
Port hits 6
Port supply hits 1

E8N2 Dave acting as spotter for BB Yamashiro
BB Yamashiro firing at 100th Chinese Corps
F1M2 Pete acting as spotter for BB Mutsu
BB Mutsu firing at Wenchow
DD Yukaze firing at 100th Chinese Corps
DD Sawakaze firing at Wenchow
DD Yugumo firing at Wenchow

PI:

Zero sweeps find nothing in the air. Nates and Sonias bomb enemy forces at San Fernando and help capturing the base.

Japanese forces CAPTURE San Fernando !!!
Assaulting units:
2nd Tank Regiment
65th Brigade
3rd Ind Engineer Regiment
4th Tank Regiment
56th Engineer Regiment
48th Division
56th Recon Regiment
148th Infantry Regiment
113th Infantry Regiment
21st Ind Engineer Regiment
7th Tank Regiment
37th Const Co
1st Medium Field Artillery Regiment
31st Fld AA Gun Co
14th Army
39th Field Const Co
36th Const Co
30th Fld AA Gun Co
2nd Ind.Art.Mortar Battalion
38th Field Const Co
15th Ind.Art.Mortar Battalion
4th Field Construction Battalion
8th Medium Field Artillery Regiment
56th Const Co
9th Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
56th Field Artillery Regiment
76 vs 1018 casualties reported
11th PA Infantry Division RETREATING towards Lingayen

Amphibious Assault at Dumanquilas (77,89) by elements of the 81st Naval Guard.

Tablas and Catanduanes are occupied by the Japanese Rowboat Corps.

Borneo:

Japanese forces CAPTURE Kuching !!!
Assaulting units:
II/124th Infantry Battalion
III/124th Infantry Battalion
7th JAAF AF Coy
137 vs 784 casualties reported.
Sarawak Force RETREATING towards Sambas
2/15 Punjab Battalion RETREATING towards Sambas
106th RN Base Force RETREATING towards Sambas

Rabaul:

With dive bombers and heavy bombers spotted at Rabaul we take no chances - Kido Butai strikes again:

Raid spotted at 19 NM, estimated altitude 16,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 55
B5N2 Kate x 99
D3A1 Val x 108

Allied aircraft
no flights

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
A-24 Banshee: 6 damaged
A-24 Banshee: 1 destroyed on ground
B-17E Fortress: 2 damaged
Catalina I: 4 damaged
Catalina I: 1 destroyed on ground

Allied ground losses:
39 casualties reported

Airbase hits 22
Airbase supply hits 9
Runway hits 48

Raid spotted at 20 NM, estimated altitude 16,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 7 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 55
B5N2 Kate x 99
D3A1 Val x 108

Allied aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
D3A1 Val: 1 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
B-17E Fortress: 8 damaged
A-24 Banshee: 4 damaged
A-24 Banshee: 1 destroyed on ground

Allied ground losses:
10 casualties reported

Airbase hits 8
Airbase supply hits 5
Runway hits 12

Our invasion force is one day away and no surface opposition has been spotted - fingers crossed...

Return to “After Action Reports”