What Book Are You Reading at the moment?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

wodin

RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment?

Post by wodin »

Doesn't matter then..Seven Pillars of Wisdom is by T H Lawrence it's his wartime biography\memoir. Thought it might have been that book.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Ah - I think I see - if you are referring to post 1214, then no, the book is called Lawrence in Arabia.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Orm

Post by Orm »

I just begun reading To End All Wars: A Story of Loyalty and Rebellion, 1914–1918 by Adam Hochschild
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

I just ordered Clay Blair's "Hitler's U-Boat War Volume 1:The Hunters 1939-42" from Amazon. It's a huge volume (800 pages!) but full of detail. I'd gotten it from the library a few years ago and was determined to add it to my collection. The price was right ($21.99 incl S&H) for the hardcover version w/dust jacket. I'm an old fashioned book collector, so this was a must. I may add Vol 2 at a later date.

Some of Blair's conclusions are controversial, but he put an extraordinary amount of factual research into these books.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Been thinking about this one for some time now. The reviews on Amazon are not great - although all universally acknowledge the amount of research carried out by the author. I suspect I will buy at some point but not top of the list just yet.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

As an alternative to reading books about U-boats, try http://www.uboat.net/ instead.
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

ORIGINAL: Zorch

As an alternative to reading books about U-boats, try http://www.uboat.net/ instead.

I'm very familiar with this site.
TulliusDetritus

Post by TulliusDetritus »

End this depression now! by nobel laureate Paul Krugman.

But this was an aperitif. I was reading (and now will resume the aforementioned reading) The General Theory of Employment, Interest and Money by John Maynard Keynes. Tough to swallow but I think everyone should read these *important* books.

And oh, there was another aperitif (which will be soon resumed [:D]): Shattered Sword: The Untold Story of the Battle of Midway. Dropped the book to read Krugman 3 days ago (and dropped Keynes to read er... Krugman. Like the Russian dolls, you know) It was 8:35 am june 4 1942 when I dropped the book IIRC [:D] 1 hour and 55 minutes until the Dauntlesses appear so it's ok. Now seriously, the two authors seem about 100% right... Not really a miracle this battle. Lots of incompetence from the Japanese so fair play. And that's a myth destroyed. Refreshing.
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
cantona2

Post by cantona2 »

Rethinking Military History by Jeremy Black
1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

I just ordered Clay Blair's "Hitler's U-Boat War Volume 1:The Hunters 1939-42" from Amazon. It's a huge volume (800 pages!) but full of detail. I'd gotten it from the library a few years ago and was determined to add it to my collection. The price was right ($21.99 incl S&H) for the hardcover version w/dust jacket. I'm an old fashioned book collector, so this was a must. I may add Vol 2 at a later date.

Some of Blair's conclusions are controversial, but he put an extraordinary amount of factual research into these books.
I just added this one to my buy list. [:)]
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
radic202

Post by radic202 »

I am really enjoying this at the moment:

Image[/img]
It is much harder to think about doing something than actually doing it!
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

ORIGINAL: nelmsm

ORIGINAL: Zorch

I'm reading 'A Mad Catastrophe: The Outbreak of World War I and the Collapse of the Habsburg Empire' by Wawro.

Conrad was Incompetent with a capital I. It's heart to find anything he did right.

I just finished Collision of Empires: War on the Eastern Front in 1914 and that author didn't paint in a very good light either.
I just bought that. $1.99 on Kindle
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
rhondabrwn

Post by rhondabrwn »

I bought the sequel "The Twelve" last year but haven't read it as I kinda need a refresher on "The Passage" to get back into the story. The Passage is a unique take on the whole vampire / plague / End of the World story line.
ORIGINAL: radic202

Image[/img]
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(
rhondabrwn

Post by rhondabrwn »

I'm still plugging away at "The Destroyermen" series by Tayor Anderson and am on book 8 at the moment. Book 9 was published a few months ago but costs $15.99 so I'll be taking a break and moving on to something else while I wait for the price to drop down to something reasonable.

On the other hand, this series is not going to end anytime soon. Book 8 has introduced contact with two MORE human civilizations and Book 9 reviews indicate another ENEMY civilization is discovered. The author is going to milk this concept for all it's worth and can probably keep the books coming till it's as long as the Honor Harrington saga!

In a way, I'm kinda pissed. I would prefer to see some points in a series where most of the plot lines get resolved and you could end right there, but leaves room to start a new plotline, with new characters and enemies for another three to six novels. Destroyermen isn't anywhere close to resolving anything... totally open ended to me at this point.

I am thinking that it is finally time to go back to the "Wheel of Time" and finish off the last six massive volumes (now that Brandon Sanderson finished the final three volumes after Robert Jordan's unfortunate death). Since those novels tend to be 1,000 to 1,600 pages long that will be a lot of reading (plus preparatory review of the first six novels to get everything back into my head)!
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

parusski

Post by parusski »

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn
I am thinking that it is finally time to go back to the "Wheel of Time" and finish off the last six massive volumes (now that Brandon Sanderson finished the final three volumes after Robert Jordan's unfortunate death). Since those novels tend to be 1,000 to 1,600 pages long that will be a lot of reading (plus preparatory review of the first six novels to get everything back into my head)!

Sanderson did an outstanding job finishing Jordan's work. So do finish the series.
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
rhondabrwn

Post by rhondabrwn »

This may not count as a book, but I got hooked on the "Girl Genius" steampunk online comic a couple of months ago and have now viewed nearly all of the 14 years of postings. I'm almost current. The strip has won a Hugo three times for best graphic novel of the year.

http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/index.php

Following a link on the Girl Genius page I have also embarked on this fairly new story.

http://www.sssscomic.com/comic.php?page=1

It's called "Stand Still, Stay Silent" and is a Scandinavian vision of an apocalyptic future due to a deadly disease. The artwork is dark and very interesting as is the Scandinavian culture and geography used as a setting. Like I said, it's fairly new and I've already reached the latest posting and must now agonize over the next update :)

They are both pretty addictive.
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

AbwehrX

Post by AbwehrX »

Interesting article about the Singapore campaign~

http://www.militaryhistoryonline.com/ww ... apore.aspx

Hyacinth

Post by Hyacinth »

Not a new book but missed this before and now got it, very nicely written.

Agincourt: The King, the Campaign, the Battle

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Agincourt-The-K ... 0316726486
radic202

Post by radic202 »

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn

I bought the sequel "The Twelve" last year but haven't read it as I kinda need a refresher on "The Passage" to get back into the story. The Passage is a unique take on the whole vampire / plague / End of the World story line.
ORIGINAL: radic202

Image[/img]

I am almost done "The Passage" just got to the part where Peter takes Amy back to the "original zero military base", so I gather I am close to the end but I keep hearing that "The Twelve" goes back in time to catch us up on the 92 some years between the outbreak and where Amy and Peter get too. So part of me is looking forward to going back in time and the other saying WTF? I want to know what happens to Amy???? I still think this book or series of books has me the most invested in the characters then any other set of novels I have ever read.....except for maybe "Games of Thrones"???

Glad to know that I am not the only person in here that like Pre and Post Apocalyptic style novels.
It is much harder to think about doing something than actually doing it!
berto

Post by berto »

And then there were eight. Now reading:

The Story of Civilization: The Age of Louis XIV [volume 8], by Will & Ariel Durant
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

Return to “General Discussion”