Army/Corp orders of battle for the Axis side

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

Hyacinth

Army/Corp orders of battle for the Axis side

Post by Hyacinth »

Anyone want to share their usual structures for Axis Armies and Corps? Also air force if you like.

I have been conducting war games playing around with different models, pun intended, I have been gravitating towards concentrating power and creating reserves from the start.
Also separating mobile formations from the infantry inside the same corps, inside the army still mixed thoughts.

I have no idea if my ideas would survive a battle against a human opponent so would like to discuss this topic with veterans.

swkuh

RE: Army/Corp orders of battle for the Axis side

Post by swkuh »

Useful question, will appreciate seeing what solutions "veterans" offer.

My approach is to separate the mobile formations from the foot sloggers by corps and by army. Cavalry & the odd Panzer brigade fall outside this policy; they are used opportunistically. Do this mostly for ease of play, and, of course, can't keep infantry close to mobile units when fronts break. Once fronts solidify, this isn't needed, but by then, organization is complete.
morvael

Post by morvael »

I also think it's better to split command of motorized and infantry/cavalry units (except lone tank brigades in Soviet armies), as during rapid movement one has trouble to keep both the slow and fast units in HQ range. Also, dedicated Panzer HQ units offer Admin bonus to leader rolls for Panzer units, so it's worth using this to the max. The only moment when mixing units would be a good solution is when you have a fort line to breach (to reduce command penalties by having all units under the same HQ).
Hyacinth

Post by Hyacinth »

ORIGINAL: morvael

I also think it's better to split command of motorized and infantry/cavalry units (except lone tank brigades in Soviet armies), as during rapid movement one has trouble to keep both the slow and fast units in HQ range. Also, dedicated Panzer HQ units offer Admin bonus to leader rolls for Panzer units, so it's worth using this to the max. The only moment when mixing units would be a good solution is when you have a fort line to breach (to reduce command penalties by having all units under the same HQ).

This is my main concern but would an elite infantry corp under a good leader with massive amounts of artillery work, naturally stacked with "regular" infantry formations in the line?
morvael

Post by morvael »

In the new version (1.08) such units will be the best way to breach a fort line. My opinion: keep mobile separate from infantry and you will be good.
charlie0311

Post by charlie0311 »

Hi all,

As axis player I have just recently concentrated all the divisions of 2 PZ,3 PZ, and 9 armies under the army HQ and all the support units. All army ldrs 8 initiative, about 15 combats in cold or blizzard conditions (march/Apr 42), and about 10/12 hexes west of Moscow. No command crossover penalty, BUT!! there is some penalty for assigning units to a HQ higher than "normal". Very disappointing results regarding the participation of support units, always less than half what has been available.
Hyacinth

Post by Hyacinth »

In the new version (1.08) such units will be the best way to breach a fort line. My opinion: keep mobile separate from infantry and you will be good.

Thanks, what about massing armored formations and going for bigger kills in longer intervals?

This will need infantry to keep more of the iniative and momentum, no idea if it is possible.
Hyacinth

Post by Hyacinth »

ORIGINAL: charlie0311

Hi all,

As axis player I have just recently concentrated all the divisions of 2 PZ,3 PZ, and 9 armies under the army HQ and all the support units. All army ldrs 8 initiative, about 15 combats in cold or blizzard conditions (march/Apr 42), and about 10/12 hexes west of Moscow. No command crossover penalty, BUT!! there is some penalty for assigning units to a HQ higher than "normal". Very disappointing results regarding the participation of support units, always less than half what has been available.

From the little I understand about the game mechanics this is to be expected, the optimal use of the support units has to be achieved, I am still learning how to do it.
morvael

Post by morvael »

There's a limit of SU commited per HQ, thus less HQs = less SUs.
Hyacinth

Post by Hyacinth »

There's a limit of SU commited per HQ, thus less HQs = less SUs.

An ways to get the most out of them other than using the best iniative leaders?

Return to “The War Room”