Sub Air Bubble

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Grubwurm

Sub Air Bubble

Post by Grubwurm »

Here's a link of a supersonic sub concept.

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/563840/2 ... bubble.htm

The interesting thing is that Russia developed a torpedo capable of speed 320kts. This was during the cold war.
Stevechase

RE: Sub Air Bubble

Post by Stevechase »

I am quite skeptical. If you read closely it says 370 kilometers (not knots). Which could mean 370 kilometers per day, per second, or per week. Besides I think it was all theoretical ie on paper ie no actual vehicles or torpedoes. But just my opinion, no expertise on my part or facts to back that up you understand. But still interesting post nonetheless.
Klahn

Post by Klahn »

ORIGINAL: Stevechase

I am quite skeptical. If you read closely it says 370 kilometers (not knots). Which could mean 370 kilometers per day, per second, or per week. Besides I think it was all theoretical ie on paper ie no actual vehicles or torpedoes. But just my opinion, no expertise on my part or facts to back that up you understand. But still interesting post nonetheless.

I don't know anything about the submarine, but the torpedo is quite real and has been in service for a long time.

VA-111 Shkval (wikipedia)
jarraya

Post by jarraya »

It's not supersonic, but it is VERY fast.
mrfeizhu

Post by mrfeizhu »

If you write about it its exists, ( along with Santa Claus, vampires and the Easter bunny). Most news from here is like reading the Onion www.theonion.com . The Article written in the original language says nothing about being it being theoretical. It makes some of the people happy.
Old man sort of living in China for the last 18 years
Stevechase

Post by Stevechase »

I am still having a hard time believing it is anything other than theoretical as a weapon system. If a country has actually built an inventory of them that would certainly change my mind.

ps vampires aren't real? Nosferatu is going to be pissed.
NakedWeasel

Post by NakedWeasel »

Though surrounded by a great number of enemies
View them as a single foe
And so fight on!
Primarchx

Post by Primarchx »

What if it hit a whale going that speed?
Gunner98

Post by Gunner98 »

ORIGINAL: Primarchx

What if it hit a whale going that speed?

Attachments
holeinstomach.jpg
holeinstomach.jpg (16.01 KiB) Viewed 87 times
Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!: http://northernfury.us/
And our blog: http://northernfury.us/blog/post2/
Twitter: @NorthernFury94 or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/northernfury/
RoryAndersonCDT

Post by RoryAndersonCDT »

ahahahahaHahahAhahah
Command Dev Team
Technical Lead
STKS

Post by STKS »

A sub would need to travel at 1500 m/s to become supersonic as opposed to 340 m/s for an aircraft but maybe I'm just being pedantic You're certainly going to hear it coming, super cavitation or not. I'm fairly sure we will never see supersonic submarines, the issues with drag and propulsion are just too great. If you thought bird strikes were bad though,imagine what a whale strike would be like. [:D]
Klahn

Post by Klahn »

ORIGINAL: Stevechase

I am still having a hard time believing it is anything other than theoretical as a weapon system. If a country has actually built an inventory of them that would certainly change my mind.

ps vampires aren't real? Nosferatu is going to be pissed.

Contact Dastan Engineering in Kyrgyzstan. They build and sell the export version (Shkval E). They've sold a bunch of them to China and apparently a number to Iran as well. Shkvals are regularly advertised for sale at defense industry shows. Iran is now building it's own version called "Hoot." (Iran, of course, claims they invented the Hoot themselves and that it is not based on the Shkval at all.)

I have a source that says virtually all Soviet nuclear submarines carried at least one with a nuclear warhead on it for use as a "revenge weapon" during the cold war. It was designed to destroy both the target and the launching platform.

The newer Russian ones are quite a bit slower, but are guided instead of pre-programmed. Guided Shkvals are not available on the export market.
jdkbph

Post by jdkbph »

Do you have a contact and a phone # for Dastan Engineering in Kyrgyzstan?

j/k

But seriously, it's not the existence of the super-cavitating torpedo that's in question (although it's utility most certainly is), but the super-cavitating submarine.

Think about it: Communication (including sensors) to/from a super-cavitating torpedo are problematic. It's one of the drawbacks of the technology. If one of those were to hit a large fish you might get by with an "ooops".

But if a super-cavitating sub were to hit a large fish...? Well, "ooops" probably isn't going to cover it.

JD
JD

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”