ALLOWED RACES ;Shakturi = Crash

Post bug reports and ask for support here.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

fierceking

ALLOWED RACES ;Shakturi = Crash

Post by fierceking »

I've been having problems modding the Shakturi.

Everytime I add (ALLOWED RACES ;Shakturi ) to the research.txt, the game won't load. I've had success on most of the races when I used "ALLOWED RACES" but some just crashes.

The most notable is the Shakturi.
ehsumrell1

RE: ALLOWED RACES ;Shakturi = Crash

Post by ehsumrell1 »

Hello Fierceking;

My assumption is that both the Shakturi and the Mechanoid (a.k.a. Ancient Guardians) races will
not function as moddable races. The Shakturi in particular have certain triggers set in hardcode
within the executive file. So my guess is that Elliot is not allowing those races to be modded
due to their tie ins with the game's storylines in both Pre-Warp and Classic games. I'm sure he
has a more detailed and eloquent way of putting it than I do though!
[:)]
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
fierceking

Post by fierceking »

I hope you're wrong about your assumption. I wish Erik would actually post something to verify this.

Cuz I'd really like to add some new tech to the Shakturi.
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

ORIGINAL: fierceking

I hope you're wrong about your assumption. I wish Erik would actually post something to verify this.

Although I did use the word assumption, for as long as I've been testing DW, Elliot making the Shakturi basically non-modifiable makes sense. Specifically due to how the Shakturi race triggers so many processes in both Elliot's included Ancient Galaxy mod as well as their interaction in different ways with the other game styles (Xaraktor Virus, Certain Ruin triggers, etc). I myself do know that, in my modding attempts, the Shakturi race file will often crash the game, or not allow a start up if modified.

As I stated in the previous post, I'm sure Elliot (or Erik) will chime in as soon as they read this and
respond accordingly.
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
fierceking

Post by fierceking »

ORIGINAL: ehsumrell1
ORIGINAL: fierceking

for as long as I've been testing DW, Elliot making the Shakturi basically non-modifiable makes sense. Specifically due to how the Shakturi race triggers so many processes in both Elliot's included Ancient Galaxy mod as well as their interaction in different ways with the other game styles (Xaraktor Virus, Certain Ruin triggers, etc). I myself do know that, in my modding attempts, the Shakturi race file will often crash the game, or not allow a start up if modified.

Thanx for the reply but again this is just assumption unless Eric says otherwise. Besides if I accept it as working as intented then for me there is no hope of modding the Shakturi to make them even better. I just can't accept that so I'd rather assume that it's a bug
Antarian

Post by Antarian »

I've got the game up and running with the Shakturi pretty much modded to be the Borg, replaced all image files for them, used Borg research tech, and changed all game text entries (note: YOU MUST save this file in UTF-8 format, or the game will refuse to read the key entries. Most editors by default will save the text file as ANSI format, which WILL NOT WORK).

I may have stumbled on a new bug now though with my modded Shaks, I think I just found their territory, and trying to click on one of their systems to see the owner crashed my game. Sending Kirk in on the Enterprise to investigate...
"If there are gods, they do not care, and justice always goes to the strong. But remember this: All that is done before the naked stars is remembered" Klingon proverb.
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

Wasn't the ANSI-UTF8 issues fixed some patches ago?

1.9.5.4: - reverted file loading for certain files to be encoding neutral, i.e. does not matter whether ANSI or UTF-8 (resources.txt, components.txt, research.txt)
Antarian

Post by Antarian »

Just found it the other day trying to load in a modified game text file, didn't work until I re-saved to UTF-8. Severely doubt if anything is fixed with it, game seems to just have a mind of it's own on what it will accept and what it will choke puke and die on. Most frustrating game I have ever modded.
"If there are gods, they do not care, and justice always goes to the strong. But remember this: All that is done before the naked stars is remembered" Klingon proverb.

Return to “Tech Support”