Another rant - more save games lost (different reason this time) due to terrible save/load system

The newest game by Ageod, set during The Great War.

Moderator: Pocus

sanderz

Another rant - more save games lost (different reason this time) due to terrible save/load system

Post by sanderz »

I've posted on this subject already as i previously lost a save and was critisizing the save load system - here if you are interested : http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3685632

Anyway, i have now seemingly lost another couple of turns (for a different reason) - though am hoping there's something i'm missing and someone will sort me out

situation

load a previous turn - lose your current turn and you can't go back to it [:@]

unfortunately for me i had done this twice to go back and look at previous turns only to then find out that everytime you go back it seems to delete the actual current turn so you can't load it again!

gotta say (again) this save/load system is just terrible and i can only assume it was coded by someone who doesn't actually play the game (or any PC game for that matter) - how anyone could think this was a good idea i just don't know - it makes Paradox look like a godlike genius in UI design

i'll give you an example of what, to me, sums up the total lack of thought for the people playing the game, its a very minor thing but i find in highly annoying i.e. when choosing your war plan you have to click on the little pen picture and not the box - ridiculous

ok, 2nd rant now over (though am worried about that old saying that everything comes in 3's)

PS
and the irony of all this - i was actually enjoying the game [:D]

freeboy

RE: Another rant - more save games lost (different reason this time) due to terrible save/load system

Post by freeboy »

It's just not well debugged.. A good beta released early imo
"Tanks forward"
Rosseau

RE: Another rant - more save games lost (different reason this time) due to terrible save/load system

Post by Rosseau »

Exactly. It is a great game for $35, but I won't play it until Christmas. I got a handle on RUS, but this one is more complex obviously.
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

I have always hated the save system that the Ageod/Athena games use.
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
mariandavid

Post by mariandavid »

Interesting: I find it the best save system - all automatic, every turn, never a miss. Yes it does force the choice between carrying on with current OR previous turn. But I think that's a fair exchange.
sanderz

Post by sanderz »

ORIGINAL: mariandavid

Interesting: I find it the best save system - all automatic, every turn, never a miss. Yes it does force the choice between carrying on with current OR previous turn. But I think that's a fair exchange.

have to disagree here, to me its just a bad design choice for a PC game, it works against user choice and convenience, its even not clear to the user what its going to do (i.e. delete your game)
Ace1_slith

Post by Ace1_slith »

Sorry to hear you having so much problems with it. If you accidentally deleted an extra turn, all deleted saves are in your recycle bin.
sanderz

Post by sanderz »

thanks for that - at least i can now continue my game

one thing to note though is that just using restore does't actually put them somewhere the game can see them, it seems you have to copy them into a save "folder"

Return to “To End All Wars Series”