Saved games slow game?

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

tom730_slith

Saved games slow game?

Post by tom730_slith »

Quick question - I'm playing on a monster PC that I use for video editing. It has enormous power and speed and storage capacity, way beyond the needs of this game. I've been playing for about 6 months with no issues around speed of play, but I save every turn - usually several times.
Recently I've noticed a major slow down in processing different game functions and am curious if this might be due to the large amount of saved games?
I'd prefer not to delete them all but would rather do that than sit around waiting for the game to catch up with me.
Any feedback would be appreciated.
Still loving this game and REALLY love the fact that I don't have to set up counters and charts for hours! [;)]
paulderynck

RE: Saved games slow game?

Post by paulderynck »

I would say it is unlikely that the slow down is caused by having a lot of saved games. It is more likely that you have reached a point in the game where game functions are slowing for things like supply and production, due to the number of active countries and units.

Have you installed the latest version of the public release or the public beta release?
Paul
tom730_slith

Post by tom730_slith »

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

I would say it is unlikely that the slow down is caused by having a lot of saved games. It is more likely that you have reached a point in the game where game functions are slowing for things like supply and production, due to the number of active countries and units.

Have you installed the latest version of the public release or the public beta release?

I have updated the program, I'm pretty sure it was a patch that became available in July. I'm in a "Global War" game, 1943, and the Axis has done extremely well. There are a lot of countries involved, USSR and China have both fallen, so Germany and Japan both have quite a lot of resources. I've also had both Germany and the USA build several factories, so I guess that adds a lot of factors for the program to "consider."
Anyway, thanks for the quick response.
AxelNL

Post by AxelNL »

In this case the supply calculations will be very demanding for all those units in the east.
WarHunter

Post by WarHunter »

I have a few top lag points in game.

1. There are times HQ's will have some long calculations. Especially if there are long supply paths and lots of units dependent on that HQ.

2. The other point you can see extreme lag points are when any convoy line has been cut or reduced. Both the pre and final production phases can take a long time to process. 1 cut or reduced convoy affects all nations.

3. When Land movement is done the lag after click can be pretty long also. Especially after 1943.

4. Large naval stacks that use "undo" can take really long times to restack in a sea zone.
“We never felt like we were losing until we were actually dead.”
Marcus Luttrell
tom730_slith

Post by tom730_slith »

ORIGINAL: AxelNL

In this case the supply calculations will be very demanding for all those units in the east.

Makes sense, especially since I left a few HQs, each with several units in various areas of the USSR to hold onto resource areas in the event Partisan activity got bad. With China I just left a few "army groups" without HQ units
It sounds like I'd be better off just having one HQ with a few strong mobile units around Moscow ready to respond to Partisan threats and bring the rest back to Germany.
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: tom730

ORIGINAL: AxelNL

Makes sense, especially since I left a few HQs, each with several units in various areas of the USSR to hold onto resource areas in the event Partisan activity got bad. With China I just left a few "army groups" without HQ units
It sounds like I'd be better off just having one HQ with a few strong mobile units around Moscow ready to respond to Partisan threats and bring the rest back to Germany.
The extra time to calculated supply depends on out-of-supply secondary supply sources. For instance, when Germany had conquered much of South America, or Vichy France holds much of Africa, and tracing overseas supply back to a primary fails, the program repeatedly tries to find a path for those OOS secondary supply sources (usually capitals of minor countries). Those calculations are made whenever things change on the map that might put those OOS SS back in supply. So, changing control of a sea area, or even a land hex, requires the program to see if the OOS SS might now be in supply. Moving an HQ requires more calculations.

The problem is that the program can't 'see' the map. It doesn't know whether the change in control of a hex in the middle of the USSR has just put all the German units further east in supply or not. So it dutifully runs its calculations every time something changes.

I saw a place in the code where I could probably speed things up but making those changes could be tricky. I've finished fixing Production Planning and I'm moving on to some of the Naval bugs now. Once I have the more vicious naval bugs taken care of, I'm going back to work on NetPlay. It is going to be several months before I get back to speeding up Supply.[:(]
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

P.S.

I am always looking for saved games with slow response times. I use them when debugging - to test whether improvements I've made work or not.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

Return to “Tech Support”