2.05 - Better or worse? Let us know.

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin, IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian

CapnDarwin

2.05 - Better or worse? Let us know.

Post by CapnDarwin »

Check out the What's New doc to see the changes made. We did miss one I think in the list. Arty will only track spotted targets with HE only.

Enjoy!
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
harry_vdk

RE: 2.05 - Better or worse? Let us know.

Post by harry_vdk »

ORIGINAL: Capn Darwin

Check out the What's New doc to see the changes made. We did miss one I think in the list. Arty will only track spotted targets with HE only.

Enjoy!

The AI on both sides look more offensive and there are no unexpected bridges.

There one little scale issue with the little overview screen.

battlerbritain

Post by battlerbritain »

Seems OK for me so far.

Quite good actually [:)]
Somerset, Uk
baldbrother

Post by baldbrother »

My game stills shows it to be 2.04. An example above shows 2.05.
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

baldbrother, Make sure you unzip all the files to the main game folder so they go to the right place. I just unzipped the update to my basic install. In win7 it will unzip to a new folder based on the filename unless you browse to the main game folder. Look to see if the file unpacked in a different location and let me know what you find.

baldbrother

Post by baldbrother »

Thanks for the reply. I unzipped it into the Flashpoint Campaigns Red storm main folder inside the Matrix Games folder. But the Main Menu screen still has the version as 2.04. How can I tell if it has updated. I'm using XP. Thanks
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Version should say 2.05 in the main menu screen. Try unzipping again and verify that overwrite files is set.

baldbrother

Post by baldbrother »

Did that. I get a overwrite files screen and tell it to do so but Main Screen still says 2.04.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

looks great to me, works well on windows 8.1 64bit, just wish i had more time to test / play atm, will hammer it soon[;)]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
kipanderson

Post by kipanderson »

Hi,

Works great for me...

The one bug I came across in 2.04... delay to artillery barrages not working... does now work fine in 2.05 :).

All the best,
Kip.
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Baldbrother, can you check the date on the exe file or post a screen shot of the contents of your zip file?

pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

2.05 seems fine so far, but I've had it lock up on me twice now during orders after setting a waypoint, then couldn't do anything else except Ctrl-Alt-Del to end task. This is in Time to Dace scenario. Maybe there's something odd on my end running Win7 or something, but if others report a similar problem then there may an issue with the new build?
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

pzgndr, can you open a thread for this in tech support so we can track it? Just a simple cut and paste would be good enough. I'm a 64bit win 7 myself. Any more details about say about the lockup would be great too. Unit types, multi units, 1, 2, or 3 waypoints, etc. Every little bit helps.

baldbrother

Post by baldbrother »

Hi Capn. Thanks for your input and concern. Turns out it was user error. Apologies. I'm sure you have many better things to be doing. Appreciate the terrific support and all the tremendous work going into making and A+ product into something even better. Cheers.
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Glad you are up and running.

pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

Orders on arrival is a big plus.  I note that we can also order a unit to move and then resupply, which is very convenient.  But...

[left]And before you go running off to the forums to ask, no, we did not include engineering functions at this time.[/left]We will be working on those a bit more in 2.1 and making decisions on adding those end states then. Sorry.

Yeah, these will also be very convenient.  Hurry up! [;)]

One wishlist item I'm wanting now is a decent S-4 logistics report to quickly show how units are doing on fuel and ammo.&nbsp; A simple report showing which units are yellow (<50%) or red (<25%) would be helpful.&nbsp; As it is, unless I'm missing something?, I have to mentally keep track of who's been heavily engaged and then click individual units to check.&nbsp;
&nbsp;
For intense engagements where multiple targets are destroyed in close proximity, are thermal effects from burning wrecks taken into account for thermal sights LOS/LOF checks?&nbsp; With the burning wreck icons I'm using now, I started wondering about this.&nbsp;Maybe some smoke generation should be considered as well.&nbsp; Just a thought.
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
a1ml3ss

Post by a1ml3ss »

I am not sure about the screen order - any surprised unit mounts up and runs still - even from cover terrain to open terrain. Maybe I just need to used hold order more, but previously units at least fired a shot or two before displacing.
WABAC

Post by WABAC »

AI has really upped the tempo and it looks like all my old strategies are out the window.

This probably more credibly reflects Soviet doctrine, even if it doesn't reflect other problems in the Soviet military at the end of the 1980's.

Late NATO doctrine always seemed to revolve around the hope that we were as smart as the Israelis, and the Soviets were as flawed their various "client states."

I can't really comment on the differences between the versions.

But I like the increased tempo. I feel like I am out of WWII
loki100

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: WABAC

AI has really upped the tempo and it looks like all my old strategies are out the window.

... .

But I like the increased tempo. I feel like I am out of WWII

Just getting back into some serious play time since 2.01. Really between then and this patch I think I've played Time to Dance as a test but no more.

Its a very different experience. In 2.01 with the Pact in Dawns First Light you could do so much damage with an opening Hind assault that it was more or less game over. I'm now having to really think about terrain, way points, timing of attacks and Hind-Tank co-operation. If you let the Hinds out on their own all you will do is to trade them 1-1 (at best) with ground units.

Now you need that unholy trinity of good recon, mass and speed. Inevitably you can only manage 2 out of the 3.

Also the new rules make city and close terrain fighting places where you need infantry.

as WABAC says, the AI is a totally different beast and the tempo and flow of games feels completely different. Earlier on SP was fun, but it was more onesided problem solving, now SP is a real challenge.
lee perry

Post by lee perry »

This far, 2.05 is better !
I had a problem with russian units not shooting in "a time to dance" scenario but under 2.05 it's back to normal.
The new features in 2.04/2.05 are really great.
I'm quite optimistic about the futur of this game (and his sequels hopefully).
Thanks for your hard work ! [&o]

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”